Vargas to the Mets :(

FanSince88

Heyman reporting 2 year deal to the Mets.  This is irritating.  We might have had to give him a cheap three year deal but come on is that really so hard?  

So who's this phantom lefty starter going to be?  Please tell me it's not Cortes.  

We'd better be in on Lynn or Cobb.  Or at least pick up Dickey to eat innings in the 4th spot.  

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know that second half was so bad, I'm not too disappointed with not signing him.  And based on what LukeOH has said on Cortes, I'm intrigued.  But, I do agree and hope we are in on Lynn or Cobb (highly doubt it, but hopeful).  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Do we even know what the deal is yet?

Looks 2/16?

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that the Mets and Jason Vargas have agreed to terms on a contract.
The deal, which is pending a physical, is for two years and $16 million and contains a club option for 2020, according to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick. Vargas, 35, made his first All-Star team last season after posting a 2.62 ERA over 17 first-half starts, but he faded badly in the second half with a 6.38 ERA over his final 15 outings. He'll serve as the Mets' No. 5 starter and gives them their lone left-hander in the rotation.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/4117/jason-vargas

19 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

Heyman reporting 2 year deal to the Mets.  This is irritating.  We might have had to give him a cheap three year deal but come on is that really so hard?  

So who's this phantom lefty starter going to be?  Please tell me it's not Cortes.  

We'd better be in on Lynn or Cobb.  Or at least pick up Dickey to eat innings in the 4th spot.  

I was always very meh on Vargas.  Still holding out hope for a three year deal for Cobb or Lynn.

2 minutes ago, cimota said:

Is that the last of third level of starting pitching free agents?  Who is left other than Cobb, Lynn, Arrieta?  

Here's who's left:

Brett Anderson

Jake Arrieta

Clay Buchholz

Trevor Cahill

Jesse Chavez

Alex Cobb

R.A. Dickey

Scott Feldman

Matt Garza

A.J. Griffin

Jeremy Hellickson

Ubaldo Jimenez

John Lackey

Francisco Liriano

Jeff Locke

Lance Lynn

Ricky Nolasco

Jake Peavy

Mike Pelfrey

Tyler Pill

Anibal Sanchez

Chris Smith

Chris Tillman

Cesar Valdez

Edinson Volquez

Amazing that these guys get paid what they do. Cashner, Vargas they stink. The shortage of ML starters is amazing.

I'd give some career minor leaguer 20 starts, take my lumps and lose 100+ games instead of flushing 16 million down the toilet to get maybe 150 innings of 5+ ERA and have the team lose 90 something games.

I have no interest in ever watching Cashner get lit up in an O's uniform, rather see Mike Wright get lit up for 15 million dollars less

Archived