Tillman back. Are we happy?

esmd

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No.

Going into this season with Tillman penciled into the rotation is such a Duquette move. 

It’s irresponsible and right up there with cutting Miguel Gonzalez when you just signed an injured Gallardo.

If this was a minor league deal with an invite to spring training? Fine, I’d like it. But it’s a guaranteed contract and let’s face it...Tillman is going to have to completely fail to have him get kicked out of the rotation for the rest of the AAAA arms we have available instead of earning the spot.

13 minutes ago, joew said:

Everyone overreacts to someone who has 1 bad season. It's the same as a player with a career year and expecting a massive contract for one year. 

Hmm, interesting point... I wonder if it's valid. On the surface, it makes some sense. On the other hand, if the bad season is injury-related (as so many are, probably including Tillman's), then it's not a fair comp for the great season, as far as reverting to the norm in future.

Everyone predicted this. I so expected this that I really don't have a reaction, it's like it was a done deal back in December.

I thought we might get Miggy too, but Cashner, Tillman, and the Rule 5 guys seems exactly in line with what we need within the usual constraints of the organization.

Tillman seems to be on an every-other-year progression. Hopefully he comes in healthy and focused on having a career year. His inconsistency can be some other team's problem after 2019. I just hope the $3M is not enough to make the O's hesitate to cut him loose if he is what we thought he was.

Cheap contract and if he does bounce back he can be a key in getting us back in contention. 

But still, if they don't get one of Cobb or Lynn they are probably going to have to catch lightning in a bottle with one of the Castros or Wrights or Ynoas of the organization in order to get anywhere.

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

No.

Going into this season with Tillman penciled into the rotation is such a Duquette move. 

It’s irresponsible and right up there with cutting Miguel Gonzalez when you just signed an injured Gallardo.

If this was a minor league deal with an invite to spring training? Fine, I’d like it. But it’s a guaranteed contract and let’s face it...Tillman is going to have to completely fail to have him get kicked out of the rotation for the rest of the AAAA arms we have available instead of earning the spot.

I get all of what you're saying, but not sure it's quite as bad as that. For instance, maybe Tillman has a guaranteed spot among the 8-10 necessary candidates, vs. a guaranteed spot as #4 or whatever. Or, maybe he's shown enough from the looks this spring, that he really is improved and deserving of a good shot; this we don't know. Finally, it's not like we have any sure things that are getting bumped aside to make room for Tillman. And I agree, 3 million is peanuts, especially if there really is upside.

34 minutes ago, joew said:

Good signing. $3 million for Tillman and his track record in the AL East outside of last year is a good deal. I think Tillman will bounce back and be a solid #4 for us. my predictions of a 11-8 record 4.18 ERA. 180 innings. 

Everyone overreacts to someone who has 1 bad season. It's the same as a player with a career year and expecting a massive contract for one year. 

You are right, people do overreact to 1 good or bad season.

In Tillman's case, it's something more. Here is a guy who threw the ball a certain way his whole career. Then he hurts his shoulder, after some time off, comes back throwing with a different arm slot.  Velocity down, spin rate down, basically throwing batting practice FBs. 

I'm concerned that he may be physically incapable of being the pitcher he once was, I'll feel better once I see him throw if he's back to his old slot.

1 minute ago, now said:

I get all of what you're saying, but not sure it's quite as bad as that. For instance, maybe Tillman has a guaranteed spot among the 8-10 necessary candidates, vs. a guaranteed spot as #4 or whatever. Or, maybe he's shown enough from the looks this spring, that he really is improved and deserving of a good shot; this we don't know. Finally, it's not like we have any sure things that are getting bumped aside to make room for Tillman. And I agree, 3 million is peanuts, especially if there really is upside.

My question is, if he looked healthy and like the guy that pitched before last year, wouldn't someone else want to offer him a major league deal? 

Way to many negative reactions. Folks, Tillman has been great for the O's in the AL East 5 out of 6 years. Just because someone has a bad year doesn't mean they will be awful for the rest of their careers. The same logic goes for Trumbo off a career year getting a nice contract doesn't assure he will lead the league in HRs. This is a real solid deal for $3 million+. Ideally, it would be great to get Lance Lynn but this is an independent decision to sign Tillman. You accumulate as many good players within budget and let's see where the chips fall.

Archived