Mid-Term Grades for OH Top 30

Frobby

With the minor league season at the halfway point, here are my mid-term grades for the OH top 30. My grades take into account how highly ranked they were, their age for their level, and their performance.

1. Matt Wieters (.351/.451/.587): A+ Could you ask for more?

2. Billy Rowell (.255/.314/.382): C- Started the year hurt, has been up and down

3. Chorye Spoone (4.03 ERA, 19 K's vs. 15 BB) C+ Slowed by injuries, walking a few too many

4. Nolan Reimold (.290/.381/.492) A After a slow start, he's raking, and has cut his K's way down

5. Brandon Erbe (4.65 ERA, 68 K's vs. 19 BB) B He's been inconsistent but often brilliant; have to like his K/BB ratio

6. Radhames Liz (4.05 ERA, 58 K's vs. 28 BB) B+ He was a little unlucky at Norfolk, looking good in Baltimore

7. Brandon Snyder (.275/.317/.414) C- I'd hoped for more after he led the Hawaiian Winter League in batting

8. Garrett Olson (1.85 ERA, 25 K's vs. 11 BB) A He deserved a quick call-up and is performing well

9. Pedro Beato (3.89 ERA, 16 K's vs. 10 BB) C+ He's injured now, wasn't striking guys out before

10. Zach Britton (2.99 ERA, 50 K's v. 19 BB) B+ Could have a few more K's, but looking very good

11. Tyler Henson (.293/.327/.383) B- Pretty solid for a 20-year old, needs to walk more

12. Jake Arrieta (2.72 ERA, 82 K's vs. 39 BB) A- He was an A+ until May 31; should be in Bowie soon

13. David Hernandez (3.07 ERA, 83 K's vs. 34 BB) B+ Very encouraging performance, though his walks are up

14. Tim Bascom (4.50 ERA, 15 K's vs. 17 BB) C Not enough work yet to really grade him

15. Scott Moore (.232/.288/.363) D Very disappointing but looking a bit better lately

16. Matt Angle (.244/.341/.312) D+ If he can't hit .300 at Delmarva he's got no future

17. Jim Hoey Injured

18. Brad Bergesen (2.14 ERA, 47 K's vs. 17 BB) A He's been one of the biggest surprises

19. Bob McCrory (3.32 ERA, 19 K's vs. 12 BB) C- Not really ready for AAA IMO, and now he's hurt

20. Chris Vinyard (.248/.333/.371) C- Needs better numbers to justify being one-dimensional

21. Joe Mahoney (.223/.287/.374) D+ Not really meeting expectations

22. Brandon Tripp (.229/.295/.385) C- Was looking good a month ago, has falled off the side of the Earth

23. Jason Berken (4.83 ERA, 56 K's vs. 11 BB) B- His ERA doesn't tell the story; he was excellent until a brief stint where he was hurt and/or sick

24. Brett Bordes (2.22 ERA, 26 K's vs. 13 BB) B- Doing OK in relief at a low level

25. Tyler Kolodny Season hasn't started

26. Freddie Deza Injured

27. Luis Hernandez (.273/.273/.318) C Doing as expected

28. Luis Lebron Injured?

29. Blake Davis (.248/.300/.367) C Started slow but is coming on now

30. Miguel Abreu (.255/.277/.351) C Didn't expect much

Overall, you have to be very pleased with the pitching and pretty disappointed with the hitting. Also, there are a lot of players not on this list who have had great to very good first halves, especially at Delmarva: Chris Tillman, Wally Crancer, Joe Nowicki, Ryan Adams, Luis Noel, Sean Gleason, Tony Butler, John Mariotti, Brian Parker, and Mick Mattaliano. You have to feel good that the prospect list at the end of the year will be an improvement over last year's, which was already the best in a long time.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the ratings pretty much.

I figure Fredy Deza, Luis Hernandez, Scott Moore, Jim Hoey, Miguel Abreu, and Joe Mahoney come off the list because of poor stats.

Olson will graduate. Liz might graduate. Reimold has a chance too.

The list will be even stronger at the end of the year.

The Top 10 will probably be:

1) Matt Wieters

2) Brian Matusz

3) Chris Tillman

4) Jake Arrieta

5) Nolan Reimold

6) Chorye Spoone

7) David Hernandez

8) Brad Bergesen

9) Bill Rowell

10) Tyler Henson or Zach Britton

I really see Snyder falling out of the Top 10, mainly because of the amount of pitching we have.

I agree with the ratings pretty much.

I figure Fredy Deza, Luis Hernandez, Scott Moore, Jim Hoey, Miguel Abreu, and Joe Mahoney come off the list because of poor stats.

Olson will graduate. Liz might graduate. Reimold has a chance too.

1) Matt Wieters

2) Brian Matusv

3) Chris Tillman

4) Jake Arrieta

5) Nolan Reimold

6) Chorye Spoone

7) David Hernandez

8) Brad Bergesen

9) Bill Rowell

I really see Snyder falling out of the Top 10, mainly because of the amount of pitching we have.

Dude... this is like the fifth time I've seen you spell it either "Matusv" or "Matusov." Huh?

With the minor league season at the halfway point, here are my mid-term grades for the OH top 30. My grades take into account how highly ranked they were, their age for their level, and their performance.

1. Matt Wieters (.351/.451/.587): A+ Could you ask for more?

2. Billy Rowell (.255/.314/.382): C- Started the year hurt, has been up and down

3. Chorye Spoone (4.03 ERA, 19 K's vs. 15 BB) C+ Slowed by injuries, walking a few too many

4. Nolan Reimold (.290/.381/.492) A After a slow start, he's raking, and has cut his K's way down

5. Brandon Erbe (4.65 ERA, 68 K's vs. 19 BB) B He's been inconsistent but often brilliant; have to like his K/BB ratio

6. Radhames Liz (4.05 ERA, 58 K's vs. 28 BB) B+ He was a little unlucky at Norfolk, looking good in Baltimore

7. Brandon Snyder (.275/.317/.414) C- I'd hoped for more after he led the Hawaiian Winter League in batting

8. Garrett Olson (1.85 ERA, 25 K's vs. 11 BB) A He deserved a quick call-up and is performing well

9. Pedro Beato (3.89 ERA, 16 K's vs. 10 BB) C+ He's injured now, wasn't striking guys out before

10. Zach Britton (2.99 ERA, 50 K's v. 19 BB) B+ Could have a few more K's, but looking very good

11. Tyler Henson (.293/.327/.383) B- Pretty solid for a 20-year old, needs to walk more

12. Jake Arrieta (2.72 ERA, 82 K's vs. 39 BB) A- He was an A+ until May 31; should be in Bowie soon

13. David Hernandez (3.07 ERA, 83 K's vs. 34 BB) B+ Very encouraging performance, though his walks are up

14. Tim Bascom (4.50 ERA, 15 K's vs. 17 BB) C Not enough work yet to really grade him

15. Scott Moore (.232/.288/.363) D Very disappointing but looking a bit better lately

16. Matt Angle (.244/.341/.312) D+ If he can't hit .300 at Delmarva he's got no future

17. Jim Hoey Injured

18. Brad Bergesen (2.14 ERA, 47 K's vs. 17 BB) A He's been one of the biggest surprises

19. Bob McCrory (3.32 ERA, 19 K's vs. 12 BB) C- Not really ready for AAA IMO, and now he's hurt

20. Chris Vinyard (.248/.333/.371) C- Needs better numbers to justify being one-dimensional

21. Joe Mahoney (.223/.287/.374) D+ Not really meeting expectations

22. Brandon Tripp (.229/.295/.385) C- Was looking good a month ago, has falled off the side of the Earth

23. Jason Berken (4.83 ERA, 56 K's vs. 11 BB) B- His ERA doesn't tell the story; he was excellent until a brief stint where he was hurt and/or sick

24. Brett Bordes (2.22 ERA, 26 K's vs. 13 BB) B- Doing OK in relief at a low level

25. Tyler Kolodny Season hasn't started

26. Freddie Deza Injured

27. Luis Hernandez (.273/.273/.318) C Doing as expected

28. Luis Lebron Injured?

29. Blake Davis (.248/.300/.367) C Started slow but is coming on now

30. Miguel Abreu (.255/.277/.351) C Didn't expect much

Overall, you have to be very pleased with the pitching and pretty disappointed with the hitting. Also, there are a lot of players not on this list who have had great to very good first halves, especially at Delmarva: Chris Tillman, Wally Crancer, Joe Nowicki, Ryan Adams, Luis Noel, Sean Gleason, Tony Butler, John Mariotti, Brian Parker, and Mick Mattaliano. You have to feel good that the prospect list at the end of the year will be an improvement over last year's, which was already the best in a long time.

Great job Rick. Just to let everyone in on a little Hangout secret, the end of the Top 30 was screwed up in an exchange of e-mails. We went back in forth before I made the call on the last two guys.

29. Should have been James Johnson

30. Paco Figueroa

Either way, Johnson is a nice story.

1) Matt Wieters

2) Brian Matusz

3) Chris Tillman

4) Jake Arrieta

5) Nolan Reimold

6) Chorye Spoone

7) David Hernandez

8) Brad Bergesen

9) Bill Rowell

Does Troy Patton not figure into our Top 10?

Great job Rick. Just to let everyone in on a little Hangout secret, the end of the Top 30 was screwed up in an exchange of e-mails. We went back in forth before I made the call on the last two guys.

29. Should have been James Johnson

30. Paco Figueroa

Either way, Johnson is a nice story.

The truth comes out. Now we know why John left. There was no AP job, was there? :D;)

In all seriousness, I don't think Davis was a miss at 29, he's an interesting player and it seemed like the O's liked what they saw at ST from him a lot. I hope he continues to improve his hitting after a really rough start. The strange one was Abreu but I think we all sort of figured eh, whatever, it's number 30. ;)

Great work! Only question I have is what happened to Costanzo?

Costanzo wasn't around when the list was made.

Oh and if you're talking about crazysilver's list, I don't think Costanzo is top 10.

Costanzo wasn't around when the list was made.

Oh and if you're talking about crazysilver's list, I don't think Costanzo is top 10.

Costanzo isnt even Top 15, maybe not even Top 20.

For me, Patton is in 11-15 range, maybe even lower just because of missing the year with an injury and it will take a lot for him to come back. I expect him to spend all of 2009 in the minors.

This year's end of season top 30 will certainly be dramatically changed from the end of 2007. I know the list I put together for the other thread was.

I think Troy Patton will have to overcome doubts about his health and resulting velocity when he comes back. He can work his way back into the top prospect status he used to have, but he has some questions to answer.

Speaking of Costanzo, I just saw that he was drafted by the Phillies just four spots (#65) after the Orioles selected Nolan Reimold. I forgot he was a second round pick in 2005.

Archived