Mid-Term Grades for OH Top 30

Frobby

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mid year stats, grades and comments in original, end-of-season stats, grades and comments in bold. All grades were on a curve compared to what I was expecting.

With the minor league season at the halfway point, here are my mid-term grades for the OH top 30. My grades take into account how highly ranked they were, their age for their level, and their performance.

1. Matt Wieters (.351/.451/.587): A+ Could you ask for more? .365/.460/.625 at Bowie, A+ If there was a higher grade, I'd give it

2. Billy Rowell (.255/.314/.382): C- Started the year hurt, has been up and down .248/.315/.368 C- Never gained consistency, but finished fairly strong

3. Chorye Spoone (4.03 ERA, 19 K's vs. 15 BB) C+ Slowed by injuries, walking a few too many 4.57 ERA, 32 K's vs. 27 BB in 41.1 IP, C- Wait 'till next year, injuries wrecked his season

4. Nolan Reimold (.290/.381/.492) A After a slow start, he's raking, and has cut his K's way down .284/.367/.501, A- Very solid year but a bit streaky

5. Brandon Erbe (4.65 ERA, 68 K's vs. 19 BB) B He's been inconsistent but often brilliant; have to like his K/BB ratio 4.30 ERA, 151 K's vs. 50 BB in 150.2 IP B Remained inconsistent but the good performances outweighed the bad

6. Radhames Liz (4.05 ERA, 58 K's vs. 28 BB) B+ He was a little unlucky at Norfolk, looking good in Baltimore 3.62 ERA, 85 K's vs. 32 BB in 87 IP B+ Was rushed to Baltimore but had a solid year when in the minors

7. Brandon Snyder (.275/.317/.414) C- I'd hoped for more after he led the Hawaiian Winter League in batting .315/.358/.490 A- Totally turned his season around, lack of walks still a concern

8. Garrett Olson (1.85 ERA, 25 K's vs. 11 BB) A He deserved a quick call-up and is performing well 2.97 ERA, 39 K's vs. 16 BB in 36 IP A- Was fine at AAA but struggled in the majors

9. Pedro Beato (3.89 ERA, 16 K's vs. 10 BB) C+ He's injured now, wasn't striking guys out before 5.85 ERA, 51 K's vs 33 BB in 95 IP D Not sure he was completely healthy when he returned; this season was a washout.

10. Zach Britton (2.99 ERA, 50 K's v. 19 BB) B+ Could have a few more K's, but looking very good 3.12 ERA, 114 K's vs. 47 BB in 147.1 IP A- Had a great GO/AO ratio and stayed consistent all year

11. Tyler Henson (.293/.327/.383) B- Pretty solid for a 20-year old, needs to walk more .265/.310/.392 B- BA dropped a bit but still promising

12. Jake Arrieta (2.72 ERA, 82 K's vs. 39 BB) A- He was an A+ until May 31; should be in Bowie soon 2.87 ERA, 120 K's vs. 51 BB in 113 IP A Deservedly won Carolina League pitcher of the year

13. David Hernandez (3.07 ERA, 83 K's vs. 34 BB) B+ Very encouraging performance, though his walks are up 2.66 ERA, 166 K's vs. 71 BB in 141 IP, A- He's tough to hit but needs to work on command and pitch count

14. Tim Bascom (4.50 ERA, 15 K's vs. 17 BB) C Not enough work yet to really grade him 5.78 ERA, 74 K's vs. 46 BB in 95 IP D+ Very disappointing season

15. Scott Moore (.232/.288/.363) D Very disappointing but looking a bit better lately .247/.321/.408 D+ Hurt his chances this year

16. Matt Angle (.244/.341/.312) D+ If he can't hit .300 at Delmarva he's got no future .287/.385/.379 B- Improved a lot but still only marginal as a prospect

17. Jim Hoey Injured

18. Brad Bergesen (2.14 ERA, 47 K's vs. 17 BB) A He's been one of the biggest surprises 3.22 ERA, 72 K's vs. 27 BB in 148 IP A- Goes deep in the game almost every time but low K's are a conern

19. Bob McCrory (3.32 ERA, 19 K's vs. 12 BB) C- Not really ready for AAA IMO, and now he's hurt 3.80 ERA, 35 K's vs. 24 BB in 45 IP C- Needs another year in the minors

20. Chris Vinyard (.248/.333/.371) C- Needs better numbers to justify being one-dimensional .240/.330/.388 C- Same comment

21. Joe Mahoney (.223/.287/.374) D+ Not really meeting expectations .222/.274/.349 D Very disappointing season

22. Brandon Tripp (.229/.295/.385) C- Was looking good a month ago, has falled off the side of the Earth .236/.296/.402 C- Never returned to early season form

23. Jason Berken (4.83 ERA, 56 K's vs. 11 BB) B- His ERA doesn't tell the story; he was excellent until a brief stint where he was hurt and/or sick 3.58 ERA, 125 K's vs. 38 BB in 145.2 IP B+ Great 2nd half

24. Brett Bordes (2.22 ERA, 26 K's vs. 13 BB) B- Doing OK in relief at a low level 2.70 at Delmarva in 33.1 IP, 9.00 in 16 IP at Frederick C- Didn't succeed when promoted ot a more age-appropriate level

25. Tyler Kolodny Season hasn't started .240/.369/.425 B- Has slumped lately, still has a week to play

26. Freddie Deza Injured 4.74 ERA at Frederick, 2.25 at Norfolk C+ Hard to judge but he came back reasonably strong after first half injury

27. Luis Hernandez (.273/.273/.318) C Doing as expected .185/.216/.220 F Did much worse as time went on, really blew his opportunity

28. Luis Lebron Injured? 14.40 ERA in the GCL, 6.23 ERA at Aberdeen D- Didn't show anything

29. Blake Davis (.248/.300/.367) C Started slow but is coming on now .284/.324/.389 C+ Had a better 2nd half but plate discipline is an issue

30. Miguel Abreu (.255/.277/.351) C Didn't expect much .275/.304/.378 C Improved in the 2nd half but not really a prospect

My sense is there's going to be a lot of turnover on this list.

Mid year stats, grades and comments in original, end-of-season stats, grades and comments in bold. All grades were on a curve compared to what I was expecting.

My sense is there's going to be a lot of turnover on this list.

Definitely. I know it's tough to go by GCL stats, but I would think Avery, Rosa, and Hoes would all make a Top 30 list and Hoes and Rosa would be in the Top 20. Disclaimer: I'm going strictly by numbers and what I've heard here since I've never seen them play.

Great read on the update, Frobby. The only one where I had a big disagreement is Angle. I think his improvement showed that the positives from last year weren't a fluke. His OBP makes up for not hitting .300. That and his defense makes him a legit prospect, imo.

Great read on the update, Frobby. The only one where I had a big disagreement is Angle. I think his improvement showed that the positives from last year weren't a fluke. His OBP makes up for not hitting .300. That and his defense makes him a legit prospect, imo.

Yeah, I may have been a bit too harsh on Angle. He just has so little power that he has to post a very high OBP to justify staying in the lineup. It's really a matter of whether his OBP is going to deteriorate as he moves up the chain.

I'd magine Hoes/Avery/Matusz/Miclat/Bundy are all added from the draft class (with Miclat being the question mark -- depending on how the OH staff views his potential and the likelihood of reaching it). Obviously, some trade pieces will be added, as well.

The following year, I'm hoping 1) we see big strides from Hudson and 2) Caleb Joseph flashes some solid power in the low-minors.

Spoone was a great call at 3 for the staff -- too bad his season was side-tracked.

I have a hard time giving Liz and Olson such high grades given their performance in Baltimore. I know the grades are based on their minor league playing time, but the fact is, this is the second season they been given shots in the majors and they have failed horribly to capitalize on their opportunities. Liz is Dennis Sarfate. Olson has been no better than Brian Burres.

However, it's hard not to be pleased with the development of Wieters and Snyder (the only two at a high level, unless you include Montanez and I'm not sure if he's really a prospect, at this point) along with the youngsters Hoes, Avery, Rosa, and Polanco. Then you can cap that off with the growth of so much pitching at AA and lower - Tillman, Hernandez, Bergesen, Berken, Arrieta, Erbe, Britton, Butler

The biggest issue I had was also with Angle. I think Angle had a strong year. We'll see if he keeps the high OBP in Frederick.

Looks like we can add at least five guys from this draft class to the Top 30 plus some of the Seattle trade guys like Tillman, Butler and Mickolio. Maybe these recent international signings will make the list next year. There should be some nice turnover, but I expect we will have solid prospects through at least the 15-20 neighborhood and stronger depth in the 20-30 range.

Nice effort Frobby.

Of the draft class, my opinion is that Matusz should rank #2 or #3; Hoes should be in the low teens; Miclat and Zagone should be in the 20-25 range; and Avery and Bundy should be in the 25-30 range (obviously with potential to move up once they show more in the minors). Hudson wouldn't make my top 30.

Of the draft class, my opinion is that Matusz should rank #2 or #3; Hoes should be in the low teens; Miclat and Zagone should be in the 20-25 range; and Avery and Bundy should be in the 25-30 range (obviously with potential to move up once they show more in the minors). Hudson wouldn't make my top 30.

I don't know how we can rank Matusz until we see him play.

I don't know how we can rank Matusz until we see him play.

Eh, Wieters was the clubs #1 prospect after only playing ball in Hawaii...

For what it's worth, I'd imagine Matusz is top 3, Hoes and Avery I'd have in the 11-20 range, Bundy in the 15-25 range and Miclat in the 21-30 range. Zagone could be 25-30, but he still looks like a bullpen arm to me until I see a better third pitch and he starts getting more advanced hitters out.

What about Adams? His bat has to get him in the Top 30 right?

No doubt. He's one of the few offensive prospects worth talking about. Wieters, Reimold, Snyder, Adams. That's about all until you get to the guys we drafted this year. (OK, maybe Henson and Angle, too.)

Ok, I'm nitpicking, but how did Bergesen fall?

18. Brad Bergesen (2.14 ERA, 47 K's vs. 17 BB) A He's been one of the biggest surprises 3.22 ERA, 72 K's vs. 27 BB in 148 IP A- Goes deep in the game almost every time but low K's are a conern

Great work by the way.

Ok, I'm nitpicking, but how did Bergesen fall?

I dropped him from an A to an A- because his ERA went from 2.14 at mid-season to 3.22 by the end. But I do see your point, considering that Bergesen was Eastern League pitcher of the year. I'm just a tough grader.

Archived