Colby Rasmus (Update: O's sign him to minor league deal)

Going Underground

2 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

Let's hope these reports are false. Colby is allegedly an attitude problem, not to mention not much a player anymore. 

Roch said this:

Executive vice president Dan Duquette is open to signing or trading for another pitcher. There are plenty of arms left on the market that could be obtained on a minor league deal or perhaps another one-year contract with a low base salary and loaded with incentives

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Rasmus' defense has rated mostly positively by most measures. 

I'd be fine with Rasmus competing for a spot but I do think Jon Jay is a more preferable fit for us. Is he really much more expensive?

Yeah, Jay sure seems like a perfect fit for us.  Can't be that expensive.  Jay and another good starter and I'd at least believe a wild card spot was possible.

Miguel Castro has an option, right? If a Scott Feldman signing means that Castro starts at Triple-A as rotation depth and Feldman takes his spot as the long man, then fine. If it means that either Feldman or Castro will be in the rotation and the other is the long man, no thanks.

I still want another proven starter be it Lynn or Cobb or a trade for McHugh.

29 minutes ago, SteveA said:

We DFA'd Brugman, a LH hitting outfielder, today.  Seems to me that an acquisition is more likely.

The signing of Alex Presley to a minor league contract spelled the end to Brugman's 40-man spot. Those two will battle along with anyone else they get for the left-handed hitting outfielder spot. It's better to have them on minor league deals rather than having to worry about DFAing these guys. Then again, having guys on minor league deals battling for spots on your roster is not ideal for a team that thinks it's trying to compete.

Colby slashed .291/.333/.582/.915 against righties last year and for once the Orioles no beard policy helps us all not see this:

991bd385_mlbam.jpg

If he's matured (most of his issues are from early in his career and minor leagues due to an overbearing Dad), and the Orioles can get him on the cheap, he might be a decent fit.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

The signing of Alex Presley to a minor league contract spelled the end to Brugman's 40-man spot. Those two will battle along with anyone else they get for the left-handed hitting outfielder spot. It's better to have them on minor league deals rather than having to worry about DFAing these guys. Then again, having guys on minor league deals battling for spots on your roster is not ideal for a team that thinks it's trying to compete.

Agreed, but I wonder if the decision makers really think that.

Colby slashed .291/.333/.582/.915 against righties last year and for once the Orioles no beard policy helps us all not see this:

991bd385_mlbam.jpg

If he's matured (most of his issues are from early in his career and minor leagues due to an overbearing Dad), and the Orioles can get him on the cheap, he might be a decent fit.

Thank goodness, that's such a bad beard, it's like he's wearing a hair turtleneck.

Just now, Luke-OH said:

Agreed, but I wonder if the decision makers really think that.

Dan is on record as saying he does not rebuild in the AL East. At this point, there is no doubt the Orioles are going for it, though the way they "go for it" by signing minor league free agents and low-mid tier free agents is not exactly spreading confidence among the fans and observers.

Dan is on record as saying he does not rebuild in the AL East. At this point, there is no doubt the Orioles are going for it, though the way they "go for it" by signing minor league free agents and low-mid tier free agents is not exactly spreading confidence among the fans and observers.

I hear ya, but I don't know if I believe anything Dan says to the media. He was one of the early proponents of sabermetrics when he was in Boston but he goes on and on about pitcher wins and other stuff I'm sure he doesn't believe in.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

DD also said he was still looking at the market for arms and left handed bat.

Guys like Presley are just depth, I wouldn't read too much into those, depth is always a good thing.

Archived