Boras Speak

weams

12 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Most high draft picks will make more than a cop or teacher before they ever hit a minor league field. Then they are still young enough to move on if they flame out.

The Odd of becoming a top pick is 0.000320512820513%

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

And you are right. It takes talent to get to the majors. I won't take that away from Pedro. But to make a million to ride on a bus with guys making 20-30k a year isn' a bad gig either.

He is one of the top 1500 baseball players in the entire world. 

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the odds are a LOT better if you are male and born in the US.

I don’t know where weams’ numbers come from (if anywhere outside his imagination), but there are about 2 million males born in the US each year.     So, depending on what you’d consider a “high draft pick,” it’s X out of 2 million.   Top 10 rounds?    .00015 chance.

40 minutes ago, weams said:

He is one of the top 1500 baseball players in the entire world. 

I am sure there are better players than him outside MLB.   Guys from Japan are going to stay in Japan if their top potential is AAA. Other guys might just prefer playing in their home country even if they have MLB potential.

7 minutes ago, atomic said:

I am sure there are better players than him outside MLB.   Guys from Japan are going to stay in Japan if their top potential is AAA. Other guys might just prefer playing in their home country even if they have MLB potential.

No. I disagree. 

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Travel teams,  high school, multiple levels of minor leagues,  fall leagues,  spring trainings and Pedro still can't field to Dave his life. 

I disagree. The skill set is something that few can get with any amount of training. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

You can make a ton of money by being born into the right family.

Not sure what the relevance of either statement is.

BTW, you have to prove yourself to some degree before they make you a top pick.

Fair enough. However, proving yourself to HS kids is a different animal. Yet they receive millions of dollars for expectations. That's alot to expect out of a 18 year old.

Archived