Who's the RH platoon in RF if Hays starts at AAA?

interloper

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

You’d have to sign someone if you are serious about competing. Rickard and Gentry are not guys who should get regular ABs on a competitive team.

It depends for me. If the plan is to have Gentry/Rasmus platoon for 6-weeks or so and then bring up Hays to play (nearly) everyday after a month or at bats in Triple-A, then I'm fine with it. If they're serious about a Rasmus/Gentry platoon indefinitely, then I agree. Bring in a better option.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

You’d have to sign someone if you are serious about competing. Rickard and Gentry are not guys who should get regular ABs on a competitive team.

So, in that case, were they really banking on Hays the whole time? I'm a proponent of just playing the kid, but it seems a little shortsighted to set your RF targets on LH outfielders when your RH outfielders consist of an unproven rookie, an injury-prone vet with no pop, and a mediocre younger guy with no pop.

I would not get excited about it.   When Hays gets healthy he will claim his spot in the majors. even if he starts the year in the minors.   Rasmus gets 3/4 of the at bats in RFuntil then.   Gentry or Rickard are fine for 1/4 of the at bats in RF for at month or so..    Rasmus will likely hit for power,  but a low OBP and play solid defense.   But if Hays is healthy he will force his way to the majors both with the bat and glove and be more then a platoon player.

22 minutes ago, interloper said:

So, in that case, were they really banking on Hays the whole time? I'm a proponent of just playing the kid, but it seems a little shortsighted to set your RF targets on LH outfielders when your RH outfielders consist of an unproven rookie, an injury-prone vet with no pop, and a mediocre younger guy with no pop.

I’m not saying Hays needs to start in the majors, I’m onboard with letting him get two months in AAA first. I’m more pointing out that the team isn’t really serious about being competitive, I mean Gentry for all the Buckisms is 34 and 4 years removed from a useful season. Rickard may be an ok 4/5th OF if his defensive metrics from last year hold up (he looked better to the eye test). If that is the solution, I’d rather throw Stewart in LF and live with Mancini in right. Stewart is better than both of those guys right now IMO. The only problem with that is who backs up CF. There isn’t really a good solution. Maybe Santander starting in RF if they want to go high risk, high reward.

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

With everyone fixating on the crappy starting rotation, the crappy offense doesn't get much notice.

Black holes at RF, 1B, 3B, DH, and C

Hey that's only 5/9 of the lineup, what's to worry about

Beckham's not a black hole.

Rasmus may prove to not be a black hole.

Trumbo may revert to 2016 Trumbo and not be a black hole.  Davis may produce an .800+ OPS and not be a black hole.

16 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

With everyone fixating on the crappy starting rotation, the crappy offense doesn't get much notice.

Black holes at RF, 1B, 3B, DH, and C

Hey that's only 5/9 of the lineup, what's to worry about

That would be why one of the projections have them breaking the all time hr record.

Joey Rickard. 

Is better, at this point, defensively than Gentry.

Has better base running numbers than Gentry.

He’s the best base stealer on this team and perhaps the best defensive outfielder. He can hold down the fort (along with Santander) for a little while till Hays is ready.

Archived