Danny Valencia signs with Orioles on a minor league contract

amdcpus

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Platoon partner for Davis too?

Red Sox have 4 left handed starters, Yankees have 2.  If we're a burr in their side this year, easy to see Valencia having a Roenicke-ish part in it.

They have Trumbo for that if they really intend to sit Davis against some lefties.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Valencia against lefties last season. .264 / 5 hrs / 26 rbis (in 149 abs). I'm not sure I'd use the word "mashing" to describe those numbers. 

Haha, are you Jim Hunter spouting those 1970s era stats? You might want to look up the OPSes he has put up against LHP in his career. Even last year it was over .800. 

Velencia can hit lefties, plays corner outfield, first base and third base reasonably, and looks like solid low cost addition to the bench. At worse he waits down in AAA until Santander's 44 days are up.

Just now, interloper said:

The thing about Trumbo is he can't hit, unfortunately.

A Pedro/Valencia DH platoon would be pretty great, honestly. 

That's hyperbole, to say the least.  Clearly, while he had a down year last year, Trumbo can hit.  33HR and 95 RBI's over an average season is nothing to scoff at. 

162 Game Avg.  .249BA, .301 OBP, .461 SLG, .763 OPS, 33 HR, 95 RBI

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/trumbma01.shtml

Shoot, even if he just hits his 2018 projections of .247 BA, .305 OBP, .456 SLG, .761 OPS, 28 HRs, and 73 RBIs, there's nothing wrong with that from a DH and part time first baseman.

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

I like Danny V, but it's a curious move. 

He makes the team if:

1) they platoon him in RF with Rasmus

2) Manny is traded

3) Beckham gets hurt

I don't see many other scenarios.

I see him making the team instead of a utility guy. No need for a utility guy when Beckam can play SS if Manny needs a rest (which isn't often). Valencia can hit lefties and gives Buck a matchup option at 3B, RF, 1B, DH. I'd rathr have him on the bench than Engelb Vielma.

1 minute ago, esmd said:

That's hyperbole, to say the least.  Clearly, while he had a down year last year, Trumbo can hit.  33HR and 95 RBI's over an average season is nothing to scoff at. 

Shoot, even if he just hits his 2018 projections of .247 BA, .305 OBP, .456 SLG, .761 OPS, 28 HRs, and 73 RBIs, there's nothing wrong with that from a DH and part time first baseman.

I know, just some hyperbole. I'm not really a fan. His on camera interview the other day during the game was painful as well. Reminds me of Erik Bedard.

I'd much rather watch a platoon DH this year. 

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I see him making the team instead of a utility guy. No need for a utility guy when Beckam can play SS if Manny needs a rest (which isn't often). Valencia can hit lefties and gives Buck a matchup option at 3B, RF, 1B, DH. I'd rathr have him on the bench than Engelb Vielma.

Yeah, that's a good point. Hadn't really considered that.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I know, just some hyperbole. I'm not really a fan. His on camera interview the other day during the game was painful as well. Reminds me of Erik Bedard.

I'd much rather watch a platoon DH this year. 

Trumbo is no Bedard. He's just very business like and to the point, rather than aloof or even combative like Bedard.

6 minutes ago, esmd said:

I also wouldn't say that Trumbo "can't hit", but we do have overhwhelming evidence that is 2016 slugging percentage is not an accurate indicator of his true power ability. And an OBP hovering around .300 with a mid .400's slugging just isn't what you want from a player whose hitting is supposed to overcome his horrible defensive/base running value. Which is why signing him to a contract expecting him to be the 2016 version of himself was so puzzling. Last year was a historically bad year for DH's but look at the numbers of DH/1B's in recent years. .761 OPS is not good.

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Trumbo is no Bedard. He's just very business like and to the point, rather than aloof or even combative like Bedard.

More hyperbole I suppose. Did you see that interview though? The disdain for the questions was clear, he smirked on his way out as Jim Hunter struggled to compliment his 0-3 with 3 K day. In fairness, not a great time for an interview. 

51 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Haha, are you Jim Hunter spouting those 1970s era stats? You might want to look up the OPSes he has put up against LHP in his career. Even last year it was over .800. 

Velencia can hit lefties, plays corner outfield, first base and third base reasonably, and looks like solid low cost addition to the bench. At worse he waits down in AAA until Santander's 44 days are up.

"An Old Man and His Antiquated Counting Stats"  - The tile of of my eventual autobiography ; ) 

Archived