Danny Valencia signs with Orioles on a minor league contract

amdcpus

12 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

If they could dump Trumbo, a Pedro/Valencia DH platoon would be fine with me.

9 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

As long as Valencia doesn't ever play 3B, I'll be ok with it. He's absolutely horrendous there. I don't really like him playing the field at all but...

beat me to it.

I'd rather not devote two rosters spots to the DH.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

As long as Valencia doesn't ever play 3B, I'll be ok with it. He's absolutely horrendous there. I don't really like him playing the field at all but...

beat me to it.

Valencia at second. Schoop at third. Beckham at short. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd rather not devote two rosters spots to the DH.

I'd rather do a lot of things much differently than how they are being done, but if the Valencia/Alvarez additions are as depth moves to prepare to offload Trumbo (that's obviously a huge if), I'll be ok with using two roster spots for them.

9 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I'd rather do a lot of things much differently than how they are being done, but if the Valencia/Alvarez additions are as depth moves to prepare to offload Trumbo (that's obviously a huge if), I'll be ok with using two roster spots for them.

Me too.

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ehhh, this doesn't look like going for it.  I mean, if you're an asbestos attorney who's old enough to be Methuselah's dad, this looks like it's going for it.  But everyone knows it's not.

I do believe a good GM is a good salesperson that needs to be able to make the person who writes the checks see the light on certain things when necessary.  The plan for this team being one of them.

Let’s say we land one of Lynn or Cobb. Strip away the hype from NYY. Where is the clear weakness on this roster?  For this one year?  Where would you upgrade?

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Let’s say we land one of Lynn or Cobb. Strip away the hype from NYY. Where is the clear weakness on this roster?  For this one year?  Where would you upgrade?

I’d still upgrade the pitching. The clear weakness even with Lynn or Cobb is that we don’t have an ace in the rotation.

36 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hmmm...well, we have a less than great closer which then also weakens the roles of the rest of the pen...right field is a mess and has been since Nick Markakis left,  Chris Davis is what he is , we have a career backup presumably starting at catcher and we have a guy starting at third who has played 5 games there.....

Other than that...and the rotation is still quite capable of the old complete flameout, Lynn or Cobb or not.    Thin, mighty thin, which typically gets well exposed in the AL East. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Starting pitching

DH.

1B, potentially. 

Closer, probably.

RF, maybe. 

13 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Haha, are you Jim Hunter spouting those 1970s era stats? You might want to look up the OPSes he has put up against LHP in his career. Even last year it was over .800. 

Velencia can hit lefties, plays corner outfield, first base and third base reasonably, and looks like solid low cost addition to the bench. At worse he waits down in AAA until Santander's 44 days are up.

He would definitely give us some flexibility. I like it. 

11 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I still think the rotation is bad even with one of those guys. The bullpen has weaknesses, especially if they are counting on repeat results from Bleier and Castro in significant roles. Britton is still going to miss half the year and which Britton do you get when he comes back? The position players are average as a whole offensively, and the defense is probably upgraded to around average with Beckham and Rasmus. I’m projecting below average (<2 WAR) production from DH, C, 1B, and all 3 outfield positions.

1 hour ago, Babypowder said:

I still think the rotation is bad even with one of those guys. The bullpen has weaknesses, especially if they are counting on repeat results from Bleier and Castro in significant roles. Britton is still going to miss half the year and which Britton do you get when he comes back? The position players are average as a whole offensively, and the defense is probably upgraded to around average with Beckham and Rasmus. I’m projecting below average (<2 WAR) production from DH, C, 1B, and all 3 outfield positions.

So "doomed" as interloper says?  :ph34r:  I kid  but I just paid for my MLBTV subscription!

It will still be fun to watch Manny and Jon, Rasmus (while he holds up), CD and Big Mark K'ing or not, Beckham, Mancini and Sisco, when he arrives.

20 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I see him making the team instead of a utility guy. No need for a utility guy when Beckam can play SS if Manny needs a rest (which isn't often). Valencia can hit lefties and gives Buck a matchup option at 3B, RF, 1B, DH. I'd rathr have him on the bench than Engelb Vielma.

This. 

I think he’s a great bench player for Buck because of this versatility. Especially with us having two young and healthy short stops in Machado and Beckham.  

Honestly, he’ll probably be our best bat on the bench. I’m happy about this move.

I agree with MurphDog and Tony.    Valencia will probably be the O's UIF plus play some DH and maybe corner OF and PH.   I think he makes the opening day 25 man roster.  

I started and thread a while ago about not needing a UIF that plays SS with Manny and Beckham on the team.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I agree with MurphDog and Tony.    Valencia will probably be the O's UIF plus play some DH and maybe corner OF and PH.   I think he makes the opening day 25 man roster.  

I started and thread a while ago about not needing a UIF that plays SS with Manny and Beckham on the team.

Danny says he has no intention of playing in the minors. Says he is a MLB player and has had a very good trailing three year statistical portfolio. Per Roch 

Archived