Danny Valencia signs with Orioles on a minor league contract

amdcpus

14 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Trumbo's supposed improved hitting while playing the field could not be so much better that it offsets what he costs the team defensively, at least as an outfielder.

And Danny Valencia should not be playing second base.

Trumbo is a decent 1B

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, El Gordo said:

Trumbo is a decent 1B

Which is why I did not include the quote that prompted my post. Point is, I hope Buck is not compelled by the supposed improvement in Trumbo's hitting when he is playing the field to allow that to dictate lineups.

9 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Trumbo is a decent 1B

The biggest difference in defense between Davis, Mancini and Trumbo, is throwing around the infield. Davis can start a double play by throwing to second on a hard hit ball. Trumbo and Mancini should probably just take the one out at first. 

I respect Davis for improving his defense, but he shouldn’t be playing against LHP ever. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The biggest difference in defense between Davis, Mancini and Trumbo, is throwing around the infield. Davis can start a double play by throwing to second on a hard hit ball. Trumbo and Mancini should probably just take the one out at first. 

I respect Davis for improving his defense, but he shouldn’t be playing against LHP ever. 

If he's even ready for Opening Day, I think Davis gets a month of full-time starts.  If he's completely flailing v. LHP, by May I'll be ready for Gentry or Rickard to start in a corner batting 9th (1B Trumbo, DH Mancini or vice versa), and take two plate appearances at the bottom of the lineup.

It'll be the rare LH starter that makes it to a 27th batter faced, and on most of those days, I hope Davis can make the adjustment to staying mentally ready because lots of days there will be some significant moment for him to pinch hit for Joseph/Gentry/Rickard/Trumbo against good right handed setup men in games we are a little bit behind.

6 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

If he's even ready for Opening Day, I think Davis gets a month of full-time starts.  If he's completely flailing v. LHP, by May I'll be ready for Gentry or Rickard to start in a corner batting 9th (1B Trumbo, DH Mancini or vice versa), and take two plate appearances at the bottom of the lineup.

It'll be the rare LH starter that makes it to a 27th batter faced, and on most of those days, I hope Davis can make the adjustment to staying mentally ready because lots of days there will be some significant moment for him to pinch hit for Joseph/Gentry/Rickard/Trumbo against good right handed setup men in games we are a little bit behind.

Does anyone really think we will take away at bats from Davis, if healthy, at any point this season? I don't. I mean I'm not against it at all but I just don't see them doing it. Maybe if he is hitting sub-.200 through the first 3 months..maybe.

4 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

Does anyone really think we will take away at bats from Davis, if healthy, at any point this season? I don't. I mean I'm not against it at all but I just don't see them doing it. Maybe if he is hitting sub-.200 through the first 3 months..maybe.

Yes he's going to have to be pretty bad for an extended period of time.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes he's going to have to be pretty bad for an extended period of time.

I think he'll be plenty bad enough, but Buck/DD will still play him when they can't keep him on the DL

Our 23 million dollar 1B who all things equal would be benched for a platoon of 2 players making a combined 2 million.

41 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

Versus LHP, maybe.   

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2018 at 12:01 PM, Tony-OH said:

And he's right for the most part, but at the end of the deal he is on a minor league deal because he couldn't get a guaranteed major league deal. Saying that, I think he's going to be on the roster come Opening Day.

You were correct.

3 minutes ago, weams said:

I don't know if they intend to bring Flaherty or not, but I don't think this Valencia move affects it one way or the other.  There is still that 25th spot where they need to decide among Alvarez, a MI, or an extra pitcher.

i do like the Valencia and Rasmus pick ups.  Very underrated.

Archived