Orioles Interested In Neil Walker and Mark Reynolds

section18

48 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I guess.  

Not forward thinking enough to do that.

I'm probably projecting my own feelings here, but I don't think Dan and Pete like treating longtime Orioles as names on the laundry.  I know it's difficult to quantify and easy to mock, but there is some value in having casual fans actually recognize the players.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Corolla35 said:

It was mentioned in some of the previous post, but I think using Walker as DH against righties and moving Trumbo to the bench is an intriguing idea.  But I'm not sure the O's have the balls to do it.

Why on earth would you have Trumbo on the bench?  What is his role?  What strategic advantage would you exploit by putting him in the game?

A well-designed bench is an asset, not just a body to go in when someone turns an ankle.

2 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

UTL, if he would come here to do that. That's probably unlikely. He's still a very solid player and can start for someone. For the Orioles, he could play some 3B, 2B, and 1B here and there. He would be excellent injury/underperformance insurance as well. 

This team is not lacking in guys that can play 1st. :)

Not sure Buck would use Walker as a UTL, since he doesn't play SS.

1 minute ago, Babypowder said:

I don't see why he needs to. We already have 2 shortstops.

Because you and I are not managing the team. :)

Buck doesn't like moving guy around in mid game, unless its an emergency, he has said many times over the years, in his pre/post game talks on the radio.

Buck also believes his Utl guy on the bench has to be able to play SS.

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm probably projecting my own feelings here, but I don't think Dan and Pete like treating longtime Orioles as names on the laundry.  I know it's difficult to quantify and easy to mock, but there is some value in having casual fans actually recognize the players.

So we're getting some value out of that Chris Davis contract for the next 5 years after all.   ;)

50 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Why on earth would you have Trumbo on the bench?  What is his role?  What strategic advantage would you exploit by putting him in the game?

A well-designed bench is an asset, not just a body to go in when someone turns an ankle.

Why on earth would you have Trumbo on the bench? Get Trumbo out of the everyday lineup.  He would still start against Lefties.

What is his role? Power threat PH, backup 1B, RF, DH.  

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Because you and I are not managing the team. :)

Buck doesn't like moving guy around in mid game, unless its an emergency, he has said many times over the years, in his pre/post game talks on the radio.

Buck also believes his Utl guy on the bench has to be able to play SS.

Not wanting to move your star player (Machado) mid game is different than not wanting to move Beckham mid game. I see your point and generally agree that Buck seems like the type of manager to insist (despite circumstances) that his UTL plays SS, but I have a sliver of hope that the O's could stray from that if the stars align perfectly.

Of course, this conversation around Walker is all conjecture and while I see him as an upgrade to the roster, it's marginal compared to an upgrade of the likes of Cobb or Lynn.

Just now, jamalshw said:

Not wanting to move your star player (Machado) mid game is different than not wanting to move Beckham mid game. I see your point and generally agree that Buck seems like the type of manager to insist (despite circumstances) that his UTL plays SS, but I have a sliver of hope that the O's could stray from that if the stars align perfectly.

Of course, this conversation around Walker is all conjecture and while I see him as an upgrade to the roster, it's marginal compared to an upgrade of the likes of Cobb or Lynn.

Of Buck, might be right? :)

Part of me wonders if Valencia here is more for 3rd, and moving Beckham to UTL, if he can't handle 3rd, daily?????

39 minutes ago, Corolla35 said:

Why on earth would you have Trumbo on the bench? Get Trumbo out of the everyday lineup.  He would still start against Lefties.

The thing is, Valencia is a much better DH option versus lefties than Trumbo. A Valencia/Walker (or Alvarez) DH platoon would absolutely murder. Trumbo is killing this roster. 

1 hour ago, Corolla35 said:

I wasn't a fan of Delmon Young, playoff heroics notwithstanding.  I don't think a Benny Ayala role (strictly platooned vs lefties, no defensive value) really fits on a roster with 12 or 13 pitchers. 

18 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Jon jay would have been an excellent sign and he and Manny are close.  But hey, we are all in with Colby Rasmus.  Yay! 

39 minutes ago, interloper said:

The thing is, Valencia is a much better DH option versus lefties than Trumbo. A Valencia/Walker (or Alvarez) DH platoon would absolutely murder. Trumbo is killing this roster. 

...but we're stuck with Trumbo (for two more years). It's a plain and simple fact and one that Buck has to deal with when constructing his roster. He's not going to have the flexibility to bench Trumbo. At best he might be able to justify platooning Trumbo with someone, but I see no scenario where he doesn't get at least 350 ABs this season. 

You're also grossly overselling the impact of Valencia, Walker, and Alvarez. 

Archived