Camden Depot: Nick threatened to kick John Hart where it hurts.

weams

6 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

My guess is he is happy with himself as a ballplayer.  He doesn't want to turn into a hulking monster that gets hurt all the time (steroids) or a guy that strikes out a lot, or worries about his launch angle, etc.

Yea, this guy was a monster!

250px-Dee_Gordon_2015.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

My guess is he is happy with himself as a ballplayer.  He doesn't want to turn into a hulking monster that gets hurt all the time (steroids) or a guy that strikes out a lot, or worries about his launch angle, etc.

I'm not sure that's a great thing.  As interesting as it might be to have a guy who eschews modern sensibilities and flares a bunch of singles and doubles, he's an average defensive player at an offense-first position with no speed and a 99 OPS+ over the last half a decade.  At this point he's the BJ Surhoff that Syd Thrift traded in the yard sale.

21 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I hope Nick likes the game enough that he sticks around a long time.  I was against re-signing him at Braves prices, but I've always thought he was a good guy and one of my favorite players.

He's sitting on 2052 career hits.  Last four years he's averaged 171 hits.  If he keeps playing and declines by five hits a year he'll reach 3000 hits during his age-41 season in 2025.  He's in no way a Hall of Famer, but that would be pretty cool.

I honestly think that if Nick was a full time regular for another six years, he'd get the 948 hits he needs to reach 3,000.    I think he could spit out 160 hits a year that long.    The trouble is, I don't think he's going to find a team that's willing to play him 155+ games a year after this season, because his lack of power and declining defense just don't justify putting him out there ever single day like he's used to.

Watching how the FA market has gone this winter, I wonder, if Nick had been a free agent this year, whether he'd still be waiting for some team to sign him.    I mean, Jon Jay is still out there.

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Threatening  a high level boss with violence is not a great move. Having the threat reported by the media makes it a really not great move. Weird situation, to say the least. 

Guaranteed contracts.

What can the GM do?  Release him and pay him?  Trade him? 

15 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Threatening  a high level boss with violence is not a great move. Having the threat reported by the media makes it a really not great move. Weird situation, to say the least. 

“Markakis made it known, had the message sent up the chain, that if Hart ever treated the manager that way again that Markakis would, in so many words, kick his ass.”

I guess you can interpret that as threatening Hart with violence.   I doubt Nick was thinking about the media when he “had the message sent up the chain,” whatever that means.    In any event, it seems like his teammates appreciated what he did.

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

“Markakis made it known, had the message sent up the chain, that if Hart ever treated the manager that way again that Markakis would, in so many words, kick his ass.”

I guess you can interpret that as threatening Hart with violence.   I doubt Nick was thinking about the media when he “had the message sent up the chain,” whatever that means.    In any event, it seems like his teammates appreciated what he did.

Interpret? You're a lawyer. If a junior lawyer in your firm told another firm member to tell you that he is going to kick your ass if you do x again I wonder how you would "interpret" it. I'm sure Markakis was not thinking about the media reporting his threat. But when it gets reported it makes it a potentially bigger deal. 

52 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Guaranteed contracts.

What can the GM do?  Release him and pay him?  Trade him? 

I'm sure the Braves don't want this to be a big deal, but players have been suspended without pay for extreme insubordination, etc. I'm sure the Braves were very unhappy that this was reported. This being publicized is not in anyone's interest IMO.

28 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Interpret? You're a lawyer. If a junior lawyer in your firm told another firm member to tell you that he is going to kick your ass if you do x again I wonder how you would "interpret" it. I'm sure Markakis was not thinking about the media reporting his threat. But when it gets reported it makes it a potentially bigger deal. 

The part that gives me pause is “in so many words.”    It’s not a direct quote, so we don’t know exactly what Markakis said, or to whom.    Nor does the information provided by the reporter appear to come from Markakis or anyone in the “chain” who he spoke to.    So, it may have been well short of an actual physical threat that anyone would take literally.   Or not.    I’m not saying any of this to defend Markakis; it’s not clear he needs defending regardless of what he said.   But I’m a little wary of the loosey-goosey wording by the reporter.    

36 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I'm sure the Braves don't want this to be a big deal, but players have been suspended without pay for extreme insubordination, etc. I'm sure the Braves were very unhappy that this was reported. This being publicized is not in anyone's interest IMO.

Do you think the Braves would want to tangle with the Player's Union over something like this?

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think the Braves would want to tangle with the Player's Union over something like this?

I thought I made it clear that I think the Braves are probably very unhappy this made it to the media and are hoping this is forgotten as soon as possible. 

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The part that gives me pause is “in so many words.”    It’s not a direct quote, so we don’t know exactly what Markakis said, or to whom.    Nor does the information provided by the reporter appear to come from Markakis or anyone in the “chain” who he spoke to.    So, it may have been well short of an actual physical threat that anyone would take literally.   Or not.    I’m not saying any of this to defend Markakis; it’s not clear he needs defending regardless of what he said.   But I’m a little wary of the loosey-goosey wording by the reporter.    

I hear you. Overall I'm sure the Braves would love for this probable non-story to disappear asap. 

3 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I thought I made it clear that I think the Braves are probably very unhappy this made it to the media and are hoping this is forgotten as soon as possible. 

My point is that, realistically, they didn't have a lot of options when it came to dealing with the issue.

Archived