Tillman

theobird

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Orioles had their first pitchers and catchers workout on February 14th.

Cashner's contract was officially announced the next day.  So let's give him a couple of days to report.......seems like he should be 5-6 days behind everyone else?

Pretty sure we are passed that now.

It's Buck doing his "hide a couple starters from the AL East opponents" schtick which leads to a couple players a year being relegated to B-Games, Minor League games and Sim Games. This year, it's Cashner and Tillman. (Note: he's also hiding from Minnesota since we open against the Twins).

We have something like 90 pitchers in camp sucking up innings.  You're only evaluating Tillman for health and you're not really evaluating Cashner at all.  Just getting their work in.  They need to see the other 88 guys pitch in games so that they can make decisions on them.  That's all there is to it from everything that I've read and heard.

Until Tillman faces some major league hitters we will not know if he can be an effective pitcher.   And he does not know either.    All the chatter from teammates about his sim game just sounded like they wanted to be supportive.   I don't know that it says much one way or the other about his ability to hold down a rotation spot.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Until Tillman faces some major league hitters we will not know if he can be an effective pitcher.   And he does not know either.    All the chatter from teammates about his sim game just sounded like they wanted to be supportive.   I don't know that it says much one way or the other about his ability to hold down a rotation spot.

I dont think he will be given a spot, just based on his previous status with the team. He is on a low risk contract, he earns his slot by being able to pitch, or he moves out of the way, and somebody else will.

10 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I dont think he will be given a spot, just based on his previous status with the team. He is on a low risk contract, he earns his slot by being able to pitch, or he moves out of the way, and somebody else will.

If he's healthy, he's going to be in the OD rotation.  I have zero doubt of that.  Now he may have a short leash, but I'll be stunned if he doesn't break camp as the 4th or 5th starter.

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

If he's healthy, he's going to be in the OD rotation.  I have zero doubt of that.  Now he may have a short leash, but I'll be stunned if he doesn't break camp as the 4th or 5th starter.

I agree, even if DD signs Cobb or Lynn, I still see Tilly giving a crack and the remaining slot.

19 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Yeah, I agree.   For $3 mm they’re going to let him prove whether or not he can pitch in games that count, unless it’s just glaringly obvious that he can’t.   

Archived