Something has to be done with Mark Trumbo

interloper

29 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I've tired of home runs.  For 25 years that's all there's been. Sit back and wait for a home run.

I want to see someone hit .400.  The modern Oriole record for batting average is Melvin Mora's .340.  The 1894 Orioles hit .343 as a team.  I know batting average is stupid, but that's what I want to see.  That's fun.

With the invention of specialized relievers and starters that barely go through an order three times, I doubt we'll ever see anything come close to batting .400 again. It's just too hard having to face all these guys throwing in the upper 90s for an inning at the tail end of games. Ted Williams and Ty Cobb got to face those starters late in games for the 4th or 5th time and that certainly helped them achieve those numbers.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

With the invention of specialized relievers and starters that barely go through an order three times, I doubt we'll ever see anything come close to batting .400 again. It's just too hard having to face all these guys throwing in the upper 90s for an inning at the tail end of games. Ted Williams and Ty Cobb got to face those starters late in games for the 4th or 5th time and that certainly helped them achieve those numbers.

True.

Plus, Ted Williams said that we probably won't ever see another .400 hitter due to the advent of the slider.

36 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm going to do the message board faux pas of quoting myself because I keep seeing people say Trumbo had one bad year. Trumbo has had one great all-star caliber half in the last four years.

i don't care where Trumbo is on March 7th. I care that he hasn't been good for an extended time very much over the last four years.

Last year was his worst (83 OPS+)   If he had a 2015ish year (107 OPS+) that would be a lot easier to stomach.   I wouldn’t turn cartwheels over it, but it would be tolerable.  

22 minutes ago, Number5 said:

True.

Plus, Ted Williams said that we probably won't ever see another .400 hitter due to the advent of the slider.

But the biggest problem is guys trying to hit home runs so much and not caring about striking out.  Brett hit .390 in 1980 and only struck out 22 times.   Carew hit .388 in 1977 and struck out 55 times in 694 plate appearances.   Tony Gwynn only struck out 434 times during his 20 year career.   Ted Williams struck out 27 times during his .406 season.  

Mike Trout struck out 184 times in one season.   You can't hit for high average if you don't put the ball in play.  Baseball players seem focused on hitting home runs more than hitting for average.  How long do you think they would have played a Chris Davis style shift on Carew? I am guessing he would have hit well over .400 if they di. 

17 minutes ago, atomic said:

But the biggest problem is guys trying to hit home runs so much and not caring about striking out.  Brett hit .390 in 1980 and only struck out 22 times.   Carew hit .388 in 1977 and struck out 55 times in 694 plate appearances.   Tony Gwynn only struck out 434 times during his 20 year career.   Ted Williams struck out 27 times during his .406 season.  

Mike Trout struck out 184 times in one season.   You can't hit for high average if you don't put the ball in play.  Baseball players seem focused on hitting home runs more than hitting for average.  How long do you think they would have played a Chris Davis style shift on Carew? I am guessing he would have hit well over .400 if they di. 

It’s harder to avoid strikeouts today because pitchers are bigger, stronger and fresher.    I do think a lot more hitters are sacrificing contact for power, but that’s not the only reason strikeouts are up.   

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

With that hammer in their hands the O's should have been able to do a LOT better than 3/37.5.

Agreed.   More of us bidding against ourselves.  We should have offered a 1/10 deal with incentives.  If he could get more elsewhere, no problem.

Seriously, do you think any other GM would have offered Trumbo a contract knowing they would lose a pick?   I can't think of any (other) team that would do that.   

3 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Agreed.   More of us bidding against ourselves.  We should have offered a 1/10 deal with incentives.  If he could get more elsewhere, no problem.

Seriously, do you think any other GM would have offered Trumbo a contract knowing they would lose a pick?   I can't think of any (other) team that would do that.   

He was one offseason removed from being traded for a third string catcher.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I suspect it was done because Peter wanted it done.

I'm not so sure. I feel like someone must have presented the strategy of signing Trumbo as a contingency plan to him in case they were unable to resign Davis. Was is Duquette? Or Anderson? Who knows. Part of me hopes it was Duquette because at least he'll be gone after the season. If it was Anderson then it doesn't bode well for the future.

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm not so sure. I feel like someone must have presented the strategy of signing Trumbo as a contingency plan to him in case they were unable to resign Davis. Was is Duquette? Or Anderson? Who knows. Part of me hopes it was Duquette because at least he'll be gone after the season. If it was Anderson then it doesn't bode well for the future.

Even if Brady was the prime negotiator, I am sure, that somebody above him, had to approve the deal.

36 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

With that hammer in their hands the O's should have been able to do a LOT better than 3/37.5.

It's the length of the contract that really bothers me. Especially when: 

1) Trumbo had never demonstrated that he could successfully play 1B for any length of time

and 

2) They had a young player (Mancini) waiting in the wings who was also thought to be a bit positionless. 

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Even if Brady was the prime negotiator, I am sure, that somebody above him, had to approve the deal.

Sure Angelos signed off on it, but someone put the idea in his head. And this isn't another bash Brady post. I'm just saying that whoever came up with the idea was an idiot. 

Archived