Could Lynn, Cobb and Arrieta sign minor league contracts?

wildcard

9 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

It's interesting that some posters know why the Orioles haven't signed one of these guys when their need to upgrade the rotation is so obvious. Rene 88 says it's because Duquette is too stupid to recognize the urgency of that need. Others say it's because Lynn and Cobb are demanding three-year contracts, which would violate a cherished principle of the owner, while still others have blamed ownership's indecision more generally. And some have said it's because they simply don't want to pitch for the Orioles, even if they're offered more money over two or three years. I don't know the reason -- and of course it's still possible we pick up one of them.

It's frustrating to think of the Orioles -- after not trading Machado or Britton or Brach or O'Day or Jones last year or in the off-season, and saying they're trying to contend -- going into the 2018 season without adding any quality starting pitching. If that happens, it will be even more frustrating (for me, anyway) not to know why. I can guess, but that's all. 

Well-I really don't think he is a moron:) I think he is probably frustrated and can't wait to get out of town.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/9/2018 at 10:58 AM, eddie83 said:

Lynn would already be here if we offered him that deal. 

That's the crazy thing. The FA market has drastically changed in recent years, it seems. Teams aren't forking over the huge contracts anymore to 30-something FA's... no matter how good they are. I suppose the injury question hangs over Cobb and Lynn both, to some degree. But TJ surgery is like getting a haircut for these guys anymore... I don't see injury as a huge risk if it's all about the TJ surgery. 

Hard to believe that three of the top FA pitchers on the market are still available with opening day just a couple weeks away. I don't think this'll last much longer. 

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Lynn signs for 1/12 and you want to give Cobb 3/42?

I’m more interested in actually landing Cobb than I am in trying to win the “who can sign a good starting pitcher to the cheapest contact” competition.    We’re not going to win the latter, and we desperately need to add an above average starter to this rotation.   At the beginning of this offseason, I’d have been turning cartwheels over signing Cobb for 3/$42 mm, and if that’s what it would cost to convince him to sign with the Orioles now, I’d do it in a heartbeat despite the downturn in the market.   Of course, it would be great if we could sign him cheaper, or give him a deal with less of a guarantee but including some incentives.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m more interested in actually landing Cobb than I am in trying to win the “who can sign a good starting pitcher to the cheapest contact” competition.    We’re not going to win the latter, and we desperately need to add an above average starter to this rotation.   At the beginning of this offseason, I’d have been turning cartwheels over signing Cobb for 3/$42 mm, and if that’s what it would cost to convince him to sign with the Orioles now, I’d do it in a heartbeat despite the downturn in the market.   Of course, it would be great if we could sign him cheaper, or give him a deal with less of a guarantee but including some incentives.   

I didn't know you could still do cartwheels.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Hard to disagree. We have seen time after time pitcher prefer to go elsewhere. A 3/42 deal for Cobb is not outrageous. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

But they have to execute, and there seems to be a track record of failure on that front in regards to SP. We will see. I don’t think the Os will get Cobb, but hope Inam wrong.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I didn't know you could still do cartwheels.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I didn't know we actually could sign Cobb. I think that they're about equally probable.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

And by the way, you can eliminate the word still.

o

If the Orioles do indeed sign either Cobb or Arrieta, Frobby just might do a cartwheel ........ to his own awe.

o

I really don't think any top player wants to sign here unless we throw a ridiculous amount of money at them.   You will have DD, Buck, Machado, Jones, Britton,  and Brach likely gone after this season.   There is a TON of uncertainty with this team right now.   Which is why we should be moving Machado and Schoop ASAP.

Archived