What is your opinion of shielding the starters?

accinfo

I love Buck and have found very little wrong with his managing, but this shielding of the starters in spring training from the Minnesota Twins and the AL East opponents just seems real silly to me.  I just can't see any advantage of it.  Spring training is about getting their arms ready to pitch when the games count.  Chris Tillman got shielded until May last year and how did that work out?  If someone thinks it is a good idea I honestly want to hear why.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, accinfo said:

I love Buck and have found very little wrong with his managing, but this shielding of the starters in spring training from the Minnesota Twins and the AL East opponents just seems real silly to me.  I just can't see any advantage of it.  Spring training is about getting their arms ready to pitch when the games count.  Chris Tillman got shielded until May last year and how did that work out?  If someone thinks it is a good idea I honestly want to hear why.

If Buck feels like it gives them an advantage, go for it, I doubt it does, but I doubt it hurts anything either.

Last year: 4.22 starter’s ERA in April.    I’d say it worked, when you consider the rest of the year was around 6.00.

I don’t really understand the remark in the OP about Tillman.    He didn’t pitch until May because he was hurt, not because he was being shielded from other teams seeing him pitch.   

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Last year: 4.22 starter’s ERA in April.    I’d say it worked, when you consider the rest of the year was around 6.00.

I don’t really understand the remark in the OP about Tillman.    He didn’t pitch until May because he was hurt, not because he was being shielded from other teams seeing him pitch.   

And I still say that ERA in April for one season isn't anything close to enough information to judge Buck's strategy.

It might make sense if it were a couple of games they were missing but seems like most games are against AL East or Twins.  Starting March 20 they have 5 straight games against those teams.   

If they want to do this move spring training to Arizona.   And it were effective then why not just sign guys who have only pitched in National league.   Guys need to pitch in real games. 

Buck is overrated as a manager.   Before DD got here the team was just as bad under Trembley.  The one improvement I saw was better fundamentals.  He thinks he is smarter than he is.   Sending Chen to the minors so he doesn't face a good team against left handed.  Picking Jimenez to pitch in playoff game instead of Briton.   Not giving guys days off.   Sticking with guys because they are veterans even though they are threw.    

I get it to an extent. 

For one thing it isn’t like we have had a bunch of Verlander’s on our staff. I can see the logic in limiting the amount of times hitters see our -mediocre stuff- type of staff we have had for years. The Yankees last year and Blue Jays in 15 destroyed our rotation. One has to wonder how much seeing them so much impacts that? I think it is an advantage when you play teams only 6-7 times a year as opposed to 19. 

Of course it is more important to be ready for the season than avoiding teams. Best solution to this is to have better pitchers.  

April starter ERA’s under Buck (full year in parentheses):

2017 - 4.22 (5.70)

2016 - 4.55 (4.72)

2015 - 5.06 (4.53)

2014 - 4.74 (3.61)

2013 - 4.55 (4.57)

2012 - 3.63 (4.42)

2011 - 4.03 (5.39)

All over the map, and tons of noise, but on average about 0.31 lower than during the full season.    So, I can’t say whether Buck’s “hide the starter” thing helps, but in any event it doesn’t seem to hurt.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

And I still say that ERA in April for one season isn't anything close to enough information to judge Buck's strategy.

Starting pitching ERA under Buck  

April 4.03   Season 5.39

April 3.63   Season 4.42

April 4.55  Season 4.57

April 4.74   Season 3.61

April 5.06   Season 4.53

April 4.55   Season 4.72

April 4.26   Season 5.70

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

April starter ERA’s under Buck (full year in parentheses):

2017 - 4.22 (5.70)

2016 - 4.55 (4.72)

2015 - 5.06 (4.53)

2014 - 4.74 (3.61)

2013 - 4.55 (4.57)

2012 - 3.63 (4.42)

2011 - 4.03 (5.39)

All over the map, and tons of noise, but on average about 0.31 lower than during the full season.    So, I can’t say whether Buck’s “hide the starter” thing helps, but in any event it doesn’t seem to hurt.

I type so slow.....  

Also weather to me is an issue in April. We have seen at Camden how much less ball travels. 

Archived