John Angelos and Brady taking over? (note on Boras as well)

O's are Legends

1 minute ago, TheBee said:

I have no idea what the future holds, but I think Weams is right in his assessment of J Angelos, and I can tell you for a fact that he has respected Brady's insights for years now.  Nothing new there.

Weams, I thought you abandoned us to join the Red Sox bullpen, but then I realized that the jersey said WeEms.

Accept no substitute. Get an *A* in your weams. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Man, I hate nepotism and “who you know” promotions.   It never works.    If this is where we are going, we are not going to be a winning organization.   Too bad that seeking out and grooming fresh, young assistant GM talent to then lead the organization has not been a priority. 

I'm with this. (I wouldn't say that nepotistic, non-competitive succession never works, but I would say that, from my experience and observation, it's usually a very bad idea.)  An almost-50 year-old guy who apparently has spent his entire career hired by and working for Dad -- who himself has been a disaster in the job -- doesn't seem likely to beat the odds. 

14 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Then the Orioles have to hire a Jim Duquette type like when Flanagan was sort of the GM.  This isn't going to end well.  Hope the rumors of the team getting sold come to fruition.  

Welcome to Bitconnect Field in Orioles Park at Camden Yards. Home of the Bitconnect Orioles. Come see the magic of Blockchain. 

12 minutes ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

So do we all love DD again now? Do we hate Brady? Is everyone an idiot? I don't know who we're supposed to be rooting for again. Please tell me, hivemind. 

I mean, true. I have no idea what to believe, who to like, etc. I'm wary of everyone and everything, except maybe Buck and his ability as a manager.

5 hours ago, Rene88 said:

I like his politics. Not sure about his management style but can he be worse?

Yeah he could. What's he in his early to mid 50's? We could have another 4 decades of this cap if he's just like his dad. Using the Orioles as a piggy bank.

50 minutes ago, weams said:

Welcome to Bitconnect Field in Orioles Park at Camden Yards. Home of the Bitconnect Orioles. Come see the magic of Blockchain. 

If it meant the Orioles would spend to compete realistically, they can put anything they want in front of Camden Yards name. 

31 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

If it meant the Orioles would spend to compete realistically, they can put anything they want in front of Camden Yards name. 

Would sell the name for an organization that is known throughout baseball as being well run, transparent, organized, smart, creative, and aggressively persues winning a world series. You can have the name all day.

53 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

You missed my whole point. People can’t buy teams any longer. And when they do, they are leveraged at 135%

11 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

I'm with this. (I wouldn't say that nepotistic, non-competitive succession never works, but I would say that, from my experience and observation, it's usually a very bad idea.)  An almost-50 year-old guy who apparently has spent his entire career hired by and working for Dad -- who himself has been a disaster in the job -- doesn't seem likely to beat the odds. 

The speculation is that both brothers will not be able to afford the inheritance tax on the team, and will need to sell to help cover it.  Though I expect John Angelos to fight that as long as he can.  He enjoys his political views meaning something because of his role with the Orioles, and people won't be paying attention once that goes away. 

10 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

Since 2000, Angelos has had a top 10 payroll more often than not.  The problem is player development and that we usually have to spend more for positions that are usually developed internally by other teams.  This is what happens when you ignore international free agency, ignore the posting system and have a very narrow view in the players that get drafted.  

Archived