Orioles 5th Starter

amdcpus

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Castro was in the lead until today. Plus Wright hasn’t started in a few games. That doesn’t mean much, but it’s true. Like it or not, Castro is going to get the job handed to him. Heck, compared to Tillman he dominated today. 

IMO Castro would be a disaster as a starter. He simply doesn't have the control, way too many walks and way too few strikeouts.

Is this assuming Tillman is the 4th starter? It might be Wright and Castro/Cortes given Tillman's issues. While I give limited credence to one start in Spring training, he was throwing sim games so he shouldn't have been rusty. Right now I would say, Wright and Cortes, Castro in the pen.

Cortes looks much sharper today. Maybe he’s just better out the pen. He struck out Judge swinging on an outside 90mph FB. 

Our problem is we have three guys in Wright, Castro, and Cortes that need to be in their correct roles. Relievers. 

We’re trying to fit square pegs in round holes. With our payroll why are we having to rely on some miracle season from a SP?  Aren’t we pot committed to at least putting 5 mlb SP’s out there?

I just really don’t see how we can send down Hunter Harvey. I know the thinking, but we’re going to battle 162 with a bunch of relievers. Wasting the season. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Castro was in the lead until today. Plus Wright hasn’t started in a few games. That doesn’t mean much, but it’s true. Like it or not, Castro is going to get the job handed to him. Heck, compared to Tillman he dominated today. 

I don’t see how Castro was really in the lead after one start.   Frankly, I think Wright has the lead, but the race hasn’t progressed very far.    We’ll see how they pitch the next 2 times out.    

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t see how Castro was really in the lead after one start.   Frankly, I think Wright has the lead, but the race hasn’t progressed very far.    We’ll see how they pitch the next 2 times out.    

Like Frobby says, we cant make but so much out of one start...IF we did, Wright is 4 and Castro is 5....

It's gonna take some more time, to settle this.

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

It's a joke.  Spots 4 and 5 in the rotation might be historically bad.

No worse than last year, I don't think.

With no more rotation upgrades, things look to me a lot like last year, though not as bad if Cashner gives us  a mediocre (or better) third starter and there are no serious injuries to him or Gausman or Bundyr. The other starters, playing musical chairs with the last two rotation spots, will give up a lot of runs and often won't go more than 3 or 4 innings. In some games the offense will bail us out while the bullpen holds the fort -- but the key guys in the pen eventually will get worn down. (And I'm assuming that Brach comes around and is an effective closer.) We may hang in third place for a while --  and may get close enough to prevent selling off at the deadline -- but eventually the wheels will come off and we'll head toward the bottom of the division. 

Archived