Boswell thinks Harper and others will not get $400 million dollar contracts

Going Underground

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always thought $400 mm was a bit of a journalist’s fantasy.   And both these guys need to have a great season this year or they may not get $300 mm.    But I bet they will have great seasons and will get that money.   

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You think Altuve is better than Trout?

I know he had the better year last year and all but still...

Trout is making over 33M this year btw.

Trout could be better I suppose.  I just don't like players that strike out as often as he does.  

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Trout could be better I suppose.  I just don't like players that strike out as often as he does.  

Different game these days. Strikeouts don't matter.  Also, Altuve has SUCH a small strike zone. 

2 hours ago, atomic said:

I wonder if the Orioles offered Manny 150 million for 5 years would he take it.  I highly doubt it. And I highly doubt Angelos would sign off on it. 

He would not take it, because his leverage will never be higher than it will be next offseason and he will want a longer deal.   

3 hours ago, atomic said:

I wonder if the Orioles offered Manny 150 million for 5 years would he take it.  I highly doubt it. And I highly doubt Angelos would sign off on it. 

How about 10 years/$300M with an opt out after year 4 or 5.  Essentially the same contract, but with the added risk that you are stuck with Manny if something goes wrong.  

18 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

What's HOF level?  Every single year being an MVP candidate?  That would be a contract worth well over $500M for 10 years.  Nobody's projecting that for anyone.  But Manny or Harper could certainly average five wins a year over the next 10 years (sub-Aaron/Mantle/etc level), and that's $400M.  So if they end up at 10/300, you're paying for a pretty good player over a decade.

Yeah, but if you're expecting HOF level for each year, that's unrealistic at best - particularly in the last 3 years of the contract.  And the conversation was $400/10.  $300/10 is obviously a huge difference - as is the difference between Hank Aaron and the average HOFer.  

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Yeah, but if you're expecting HOF level for each year, that's unrealistic at best - particularly in the last 3 years of the contract.  And the conversation was $400/10.  $300/10 is obviously a huge difference - as is the difference between Hank Aaron and the average HOFer.  

Barry Bonds was HOF level each year.  He put up an 11.5 WAR season at age 39.

19 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Was much better when my Dad was a kid during WWII.  Back than it was cheaper to spend all day at the movies than it was to heat the house.

If you are an owner and the industry has record breaking profits there isn't much on an incentive to change things up.  If it were me I'd be happy to ride the wave and try and sell before it collapses. 

That's true. When the money is coming in, there isn't much incentive to change unless an owner's ethics play into it. 

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Barry Bonds was HOF level each year.  He put up an 11.5 WAR season at age 39.

You really want to use Barry Bonds as your example?  Mr. Cream and Clear who now weighs about 100 lbs less than when he played?  

Archived