TT: Predicting the Opening Day Roster

Tony-OH

Good article. If Castro doesn't make the rotation, can't they option him? That would allow them to keep Joely. Tillman to the DL would allow them to keep Mesa.

I like Cortes in the rotation, whether he beats out Tillman or Wright. If they keep Joely, they would still have two lefties in the bullpen.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Your projection requires that the following players be added to the 40-man roster:
Colby Rasmus
Danny Valencia
Craig Gentry
Pedro Alvarez

With Britton on the 60 Day DL, there are currently 40 players on the team roster. Your projected active roster drops Jose Mesa Jr. That would mean that, assuming that neither Ynoa nor Trumbo is placed on the 60 Day DL, 3 players would have to be removed from the 40-man roster.

Who are your candidates for removal from the 40-man roster?

P.S. Neither Rodriquez nor Edgin are on the 40-man roster and, I believe, both are out of options

23 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Rodriguez does not have an option, but I think he makes the squad.

Regarding Mesa, all results this time of year are small sample size, but his velocity (and I’d assume the rest of his arsenal as a result) has been down. According to @Frobby he touched 92 last outing, but that’s still a couple ticks down from last season as a starter. His mechanics were all over the place in his first outing (the only one I saw).

Thank you Luke!

I agree on Rodriguez but also thought Wynn made the team.

25 minutes ago, AZRon said:

Your projection requires that the following players be added to the 40-man roster:
Colby Rasmus
Danny Valencia
Craig Gentry
Pedro Alvarez

With Britton on the 60 Day DL, there are currently 40 players on the team roster. Your projected active roster drops Jose Mesa Jr. That would mean that, assuming that neither Ynoa nor Trumbo is placed on the 60 Day DL, 3 players would have to be removed from the 40-man roster.

Who are your candidates for removal from the 40-man roster?

P.S. Neither Rodriquez nor Edgin are on the 40-man roster and, I believe, both are out of options

Mesa, Ynoa, Michael Kelly, Yefry Ramirez would be the 4 I'd remove. Crichton is also an option to be DFA'd without fear of being taken.

2 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I want Rodriguez and Araujo to make the team. Would the Orioles option Castro to make that happen? Is that even nessecary? Can all three guys make the team?

They could possible send him to Norfolk to start. That could be an option especially since he hasn't pitched well this spring.

43 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Good article. If Castro doesn't make the rotation, can't they option him? That would allow them to keep Joely. Tillman to the DL would allow them to keep Mesa.

I like Cortes in the rotation, whether he beats out Tillman or Wright. If they keep Joely, they would still have two lefties in the bullpen.

Castro has an option, correct.

Little early for me.  I want to see what Tillman does tomorrow  and  whether Flaherty opts out on the 22nd.   Santander and Valencia can DH until Trumbo is back.  I think Buck will want Flaherty  back after watching Vielma. Sardinas and Tejada be unimpressive.  Too early to know yet though.

If Tillman is as bad as he was last year the O's are going to have to consider if they want to throw games away that he starts.   They could DFA him, pay him and resign him to a minor contract for him to go to Bowie and find himself. He can workout at Camden Yards. Hopefully he shows well tomorrow and avoid  all that.

1 minute ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

The Orioles don't need Flaherty back. Can we move on already please? I don't understand why some of you are so crazy about him.

Infield in.  Man on third with one out.  Ball hit to Sardinas at 2B.  He throws high to home with the run scoring.  Flaherty would have made that play and Buck has to hate what he has seen from his Utility candidates this spring.

15 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

The Orioles don't need Flaherty back. Can we move on already please? I don't understand why some of you are so crazy about him.

Flaherty hits like a pitcher, even for a utility guy you need a little something more on offense.  Would love to find a Tim Hulett type.  

Archived