TT: Predicting the Opening Day Roster

Tony-OH

46 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

If you bring back Flaherty, you got to sacrifice elsewhere. Do you lose Valencia? Rasmus? Santander?

Exactamente! Let's just move on from Flash.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Infield in.  Man on third with one out.  Ball hit to Sardinas at 2B.  He throws high to home with the run scoring.  Flaherty would have made that play and Buck has to hate what he has seen from his Utility candidates this spring.

Don't you get it ? Valencia plays 3B and Beckham covers SS and 2B.  No need for any UTIF.

2 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Don't you get it ? Valencia plays 3B and Beckham covers SS and 2B.  No need for any UTIF.

And the O's can do that.   But Valencia is a offensive player that can play defense like Flaherty and Beckham's  arm is not as accurate as Flaherty.    Buck trusts Flaherty defensively.

As far as making room when Trumbo comes back there will be injuries and Buck will have to see how that works out.  Also the O's  need to make a decision on  Santander after 44 days.. if he is doing well they may DTA's  Gentry to AAA and Rusmas  backs up  center with Santander backing up LF/RF and DH.  

If they bring back Flaherty they don't need Gentry. Santander would platoon with Rasmus in RF and Flash would be the 5th outfielder as well as UIF at 1B, 2B and 3B (his arm isn't good enough for him to play SS anymore). If Flaherty doesn't return, Gentry makes the team.

Sisco could share the DH job with Valencia and Susac would be the backup catcher in April, when the first two day games after night games will be against the Astros and Yankees (and Buck will want an experienced catcher). So, the 13 position players would look like this on opening day:

Vs. RHP

• Joseph - C
  • Davis - 1B
  • Schoop - 2B
  • Beckham - 3B
  • Manny - SS
  • Mancini - LF
  • Jones - CF
  • Rasmus - RF
  • Sisco - DH

Bench/Vs. LHP

• Susac
  • Flaherty
  • /Santander - RF
  • /Valencia - DH

When Trumbo returns in mid-late April he would replace Susac, who would be DFA. 

Opening Day Roster, my take.

SP Kevin Gausman

SP Dylan Bundy

SP Andrew Cashner

SP Chris Tillman

SP Nestor Cortes

RP Richard Bleier

RP Joely Rodriguez *

RP Darren O'Day

RP Mychal Givens

RP Brad Brach

RP Jose Mesa Jr

RP Mike Wright 

RP Pedro Araujo

C Chance Sisco

C Caleb Joseph

1B Chris Davis

2B Jonathan Schoop

SS Manny Machado

3B TIm Beckham

LF Anthony Santander

CF Adam Jones

RF Colby Rasmus *

OF Craig Gentry (not a fan of this but I think it's likely) *

DH Trey Mancini

Utility Danny Valencia *

15 Day DL: Gabriel Ynoa, Mark Trumbo

60 Day DL: Zach Britton

* denotes not on the 40 man roster

So with that 25 man, 4 spots need to be cleared on the 40 man.

So Michael Kelly, Stefan Crichton, Engelb Vielma, and Joey Rickard are DFA.

Analysis: Basically this is a way to keep all of the Rule 5 guys and Mike Wright. It'll allow the Orioles to continue to evaluate all of them (including Wright) by going with a short bench until Trumbo returns. Then they can make the decision to return someone or DFA Wright.

57 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

SP Kevin Gausman

SP Dylan Bundy

SP Andrew Cashner

SP Chris Tillman

SP Nestor Cortes

RP Richard Bleier

RP Joely Rodriguez *

RP Darren O'Day

RP Mychal Givens

RP Brad Brach

RP Jose Mesa Jr

RP Mike Wright 

RP Pedro Araujo

C Chance Sisco

C Caleb Joseph

1B Chris Davis

2B Jonathan Schoop

SS Manny Machado

3B TIm Beckham

LF Anthony Santander

CF Adam Jones

RF Colby Rasmus *

DH Trey Mancini

Utility Danny Valencia *

Analysis: Basically this is a way to keep all of the Rule 5 guys and Mike Wright. It'll allow the Orioles to continue to evaluate all of them (including Wright) by going with a short bench until Trumbo returns. Then they can make the decision to return someone or DFA Wright.

Where's Castro?

2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

If they bring back Flaherty they don't need Gentry. Santander would platoon with Rasmus in RF and Flash would be the 5th outfielder as well as UIF at 1B, 2B and 3B (his arm isn't good enough for him to play SS anymore). If Flaherty doesn't return, Gentry makes the team.

Sisco could share the DH job with Valencia and Susac would be the backup catcher in April, when the first two day games after night games will be against the Astros and Yankees (and Buck will want an experienced catcher). So, the 13 position players would look like this on opening day:

Vs. RHP

• Joseph - C
  • Davis - 1B
  • Schoop - 2B
  • Beckham - 3B
  • Manny - SS
  • Mancini - LF
  • Jones - CF
  • Rasmus - RF
  • Sisco - DH

Bench/Vs. LHP

• Susac
  • Flaherty
  • /Santander - RF
  • /Valencia - DH

When Trumbo returns in mid-late April he would replace Susac, who would be DFA. 

Not a big Gentry fan. Bring up Mullings if you need a CF. Can’t Rasmus play CF(that was said when we acquired him but haven’t seen him play there personally).

Just now, George Zuverink said:

Didn't show well enough this spring or just being stretched out?

His release point has been all over the place, I'm not in the camp that thinks Castro should be a starter. I'd rather have him pumping 98+ mph with movement over one inning outings, I don't think he has the command, or quality of secondaries to start successfully. The team however, due to the lack of starters, wants to try him in that role. So with that in mind, I think he needs to get used to that role in AAA, he's the only one of the borderline guys with an option, so that's part of it too.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

SP Kevin Gausman

SP Dylan Bundy

SP Andrew Cashner

SP Chris Tillman

SP Nestor Cortes

RP Richard Bleier

RP Joely Rodriguez *

RP Darren O'Day

RP Mychal Givens

RP Brad Brach

RP Jose Mesa Jr

RP Mike Wright 

RP Pedro Araujo

C Chance Sisco

C Caleb Joseph

1B Chris Davis

2B Jonathan Schoop

SS Manny Machado

3B TIm Beckham

LF Anthony Santander

CF Adam Jones

RF Colby Rasmus *

DH Trey Mancini

Utility Danny Valencia *

I think Castro makes the team over Mesa. 3 Rule 5’s for a team that has Manny in a walk year? LOL. Speechless. But the Orioles continue to surprise me...This team’s priorities/focus/plan reminds me of the movie One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.

Mesa does supposedly have the highest upside of the 3. Any chance he finds some “soreness” in the coming week for his down velocity?

8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

His release point has been all over the place, I'm not in the camp that thinks Castro should be a starter. I'd rather have him pumping 98+ mph with movement over one inning outings, I don't think he has the command, or quality of secondaries to start successfully. The team however, due to the lack of starters, wants to try him in that role. So with that in mind, I think he needs to get used to that role in AAA, he's the only one of the borderline guys with an option, so that's part of it too.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I think Castro will figure it out but I am no expert.

1 minute ago, Rene88 said:

I think Castro makes the team over Mesa. 3 Rule 5’s for a team that has Manny in a walk year? LOL. Speechless. But the Orioles continue to surprise me...This team’s priorities/focus/plan reminds me of the movie One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.

Mesa does supposedly have the highest upside of the 3. Any chance he finds some “soreness” in the coming week for his down velocity?

Mesa has the highest upside according to me, I don't think anyone else has said that. So it's fair to debate that, I'm far for the final word on things. 

And as far as the 3 rule 5s in Manny's walk year, yeah, the team isn't going in either direction, just treading water and hoping for something good to happen. That should have been clear with the Cashner and Tillman signings, those aren't contender moves.

Archived