TT: Predicting the Opening Day Roster

Tony-OH

41 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Why do we need one?

I don't think we need one.  But if they choose a MI for the 25th spot, I'd prefer Barney over our internal candidates and Flaherty.

And it wouldn't be over Valencia.  I'd have him regardless.  At this point, I see the 25th spot open:  either Alvarez, a MI, or a 13th pitcher rounding out the roster.  I'd go with the 13th pitcher.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bundy, Gausman, Cashner, Tillman, Cortes (5)  (Cobb to be added between April 10 and 15.)

Brach, Givens, O'Day, Castro, Bleier, Wright, Araujo (7)

Davis, Schoop, Machado, Beckham, Valencia, Alvarez (6)

Mancini, Jones, Rasmus, Santander, Gentry (5)

Joseph, Sisco (2)

24 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Bundy, Gausman, Cashner, Tillman, Cortes (5)  (Cobb to be added between April 10 and 15.)

Joseph, Sisco (2)

Yeah. This. UNLESS. They add Rodriguez over Alvarez and carry 8 relievers to start.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Yeah. This. UNLESS. They add Rodriguez over Alvarez and carry 8 relievers to start.

I personally like Rodriguez over Bleier.  More upside and Bleier is due for a regression but Bleier will get the nod for what he did last year and Rodriguez signed a minor league deal so he can be sent down. 

I just don't see Buck keeping an eighth reliever who might throw a couple innings in garbage time every three or four games over Alvarez who would be our DH in 80 percent of the games before Trumbo gets back.  On the other hand, Alvarez is a known slow starter and Buck might just feel they are better off playing Santander every day and having Mancini DH. 

9 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I personally like Rodriguez over Bleier.  More upside and Bleier is due for a regression but Bleier will get the nod for what he did last year and Rodriguez signed a minor league deal so he can be sent down. 

I just don't see Buck keeping an eighth reliever who might throw a couple innings in garbage time every three or four games over Alvarez who would be our DH in 80 percent of the games before Trumbo gets back.  On the other hand, Alvarez is a known slow starter and Buck might just feel they are better off playing Santander every day and having Mancini DH. 

Yeah actually, you're right. Agreed.

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Joseph, Sisco (2)

100% agree with this. It could be between Gentry, Alvarez, and Arajuo to go for Cobb. 

Doesnt pedro get a decent salary if he makes the MLB club?  If so, maybe he doesn’t and we give those ABs to Santander. Why waste a few million. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

100% agree with this. It could be between Gentry, Alvarez, and Arajuo to go for Cobb. 

Doesnt pedro get a decent salary if he makes the MLB club?  If so, maybe he doesn’t and we give those ABs to Santander. Why waste a few million. 

Gentry and Alvarez are not on the 40 roster, so they don't have to "go" for Cobb. Araujo seems to be the best pitcher of the 3 Rule 5s. 

8 hours ago, Rene88 said:

I don’t agree Mesa makes it over Miguel Castro. I’d rather keep Mesa over Gentry for the time being.

Do they consider sending Castro to AAA to continue to be stretched out as a starter? Is Castro more valuable to us as a potential starter in AAA or as the 4th or 5th guy out of the pen? I honestly don't know the answer to that. I've been hung up on the idea of Castro as a starter since the end of last season and may not be thinking clearly on this. 

9 hours ago, Rene88 said:

I don’t agree Mesa makes it over Miguel Castro. I’d rather keep Mesa over Gentry for the time being.

I think Gentry has more of a chance to make the 25 man roster, IMO.

I think Roch disagrees with you on Castro and the rule 5 guys:

It likely bumps Miguel Castro back to his middle-relief role. It could make it hard or harder for any Rule 5 pitchers to make the staff, much less two or three.

Archived