Cobb to Orioles (Confirmed by Roch Kubatko)

Greg

44 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

You know, all off-season, all I seen wrote in OH, is we have to sign one of the big three FA.

The team signs one of the big three, and the number 5th FA.

So, you think, somebody would be happy for at least a day? :(

It's nice that they replaced a bad starter with a good one.  It's nice that they had the cash to do this.  It gives the overachieving underdog narrative some credibility.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

I suppose.  I'm all for more enjoyable baseball, and Cobb should certainly be more enjoyable to watch than a replacement level disaster.  But I do think they have a pretty big hole to climb out of this year.  A lot has to go right to contend.

Look, that is standard operating procedure in Baltimore.  This isn't 1969 where we have the best lineup in the game and the expectations to go with it and it's not 1996 where we have the highest payroll.  To be successful the Orioles always require some luck, some better than expected results and like a good movie, a suspension of reality that says that their roster is as good as the Yankees or Redsox.  It's not.

But on paper, this is a solid SP rotation.  Yes Cashner has questions as do Bundy, Gausman and Tillman.  Britton is on the shelf, Brach seems off etc.  Overall, this entire roster is deeper than it has been in years and it did that without making high risk decisions like Davis/Trumbo.

Does this mean the Orioles will win 100 games?  Of course not.  But and this really is the difference here, a lot has to go right for them to contend... it is also true that a lot has to go WRONG for them to not have a chance.

6 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Look, that is standard operating procedure in Baltimore.  This isn't 1969 where we have the best lineup in the game and the expectations to go with it and it's not 1996 where we have the highest payroll.  To be successful the Orioles always require some luck, some better than expected results and like a good movie, a suspension of reality that says that their roster is as good as the Yankees or Redsox.  It's not.

But on paper, this is a solid SP rotation.  Yes Cashner has questions as do Bundy, Gausman and Tillman.  Britton is on the shelf, Brach seems off etc.  Overall, this entire roster is deeper than it has been in years and it did that without making high risk decisions like Davis/Trumbo.

Does this mean the Orioles will win 100 games?  Of course not.  But and this really is the difference here, a lot has to go right for them to contend... it is also true that a lot has to go WRONG for them to not have a chance.

Why do we think like that? We believe a lot has to go right for us and EVERYTHING will go right for the rest of baseball. 

We're are in it to win it!.

ESPN on Lynn Cobb

There are some underlying differences between them. While Lynn posted a 3.43 ERA with the Cardinals, his peripherals weren’t as good, reflected by his 4.82 FIP. Cobb, meanwhile, has had proven success in the American League East with the Rays, so it’s certainly understandable why he would be a more attractive choice for the Orioles.

Also, the same pick forfeited,  on Lynn just for one season. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/85506/alex-cobb-fills-a-hole-as-orioles-try-to-keep-up-in-al-east

I favored Cobb from the get-go, he has had success in the AL East.

Roch has the metrics:

* Cobb has strong career numbers against the Red Sox, Yankees and Blue Jays. In 14 career starts versus Boston, he is 6-4 with a 3.43 ERA and 1.254 WHIP. In 14 starts against New York, he is 6-4 with a 2.99 ERA and 0.996 WHIP. In eight career starts versus Toronto, he is 3-3 with a 3.23 ERA and 1.056 WHIP. In 36 career starts against that trio of teams, he is 15-11 with a 3.21 ERA. Cobb also has good career numbers against the Orioles, going 6-2 with a 2.70 ERA.

27 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's nice that they replaced a bad starter with a good one.  It's nice that they had the cash to do this.  It gives the overachieving underdog narrative some credibility.

Its nice that when they claimed they was still in negotiations for another SP, they really was.

Yeah we signed Cobb, but one thing that annoys me are people being negative about all that involves DD or Angelos, like they want to hurt our franchise on purpose. Yes sometimes they make poor decisions but at the end of the day they want the best for the Orioles just like us fans.

1 minute ago, Getz said:

Yeah we signed Cobb, but one thing that annoys me are people being negative about all that involves DD or Angelos, like they want to hurt our franchise on purpose. Yes sometimes they make poor decisions but at the end of the day they want the best for the Orioles just like us fans.

I agree, people have a tendency to be very negative, when hiding behind a keyboard or smartphone.

I too, get annoyed, and wonder what team some of the really negative ones actually root for.

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I agree, people have a tendency to be very negative, when hiding behind a keyboard or smartphone.

I too, get annoyed, and wonder what team some of the really negative ones actually root for.

I wonder the same...

14 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I favored Cobb from the get-go, he has had success in the AL East.

Roch has the metrics:

Is there any reason to think that his work from several years ago, prior to surgery, should be weighted more highly than that of last year, post-surgery, in a slightly less competitive league?

I mean other than the idea it makes the signing look better.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

You know, all off-season, all I seen wrote in OH, is we have to sign one of the big three FA.

The team signs one of the big three, and the number 5th FA.

So, you think, somebody would be happy for at least a day? :(

OH members: "We're screwed, 2018 is hopeless! Our FO needs to sign Cashner or Cobb, or both."

Orioles FO: "Orioles have signed Cashner."

OH members: "Really?"

Orioles FO: "Yes."

OH members: "Well, Tillman and Wright suck so we need Cobb too or we're still screwed."

Orioles FO: "Orioles have signed Cobb."

OH members: (rub eyes in disbelief) "Really? He passed the physical?"

Orioles FO: "Yes."

OH members: "Well, we overpaid."

Orioles FO: "Maybe, maybe not. But we're doing our best to be competitive. Thought that's what you wanted?"

OH members: (searching BBC news frantically) "Well, Trump/North Korea/Putin/Global warming are still going to ruin 2018. So, we're still screwed."

Orioles FO: (raise hands to the sky in exasperation)

17 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Its nice that when they claimed they was still in negotiations for another SP, they really was.

I surely hope that none here exclaimed that it was (dare I say?) "fake news or alternate facts" when "they" claimed that!  If so, shame on "them"!

Archived