Sisco vs. Mountcastle

Legend_Of_Joey

5 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I know you didn't mention Wynns here.  Sincerely, it was not an insult.

Never took it as one. I knew what you meant in your post. No harm on either side.

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

From what Buck has said Sisco is above average at everything except throwing.  These days hardly anyone steals bases anymore.  I don't see Sisco's arm strength a big a deal as Mountcastle's.  You sort of can't play third without a strong arm. I don't want to see another Mark Reynolds type guy butchering the position.  It is no surprise  that once we got Reynolds off of third we started winning. 

Also good hitting third basemen are a dime a dozen these days. Not too many good hitting catchers.  

The funny thing is, when Mountcastle was first moved to 3rd, there was a some talk how he would be fine because it's a shorter throw and because he can work on having a quick release. Think there was even a mention or two of a very good former Oriole third baseman that it was compared to...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Never took it as one. I knew what you meant in your post. No harm on either side.

The funny thing is, when Mountcastle was first moved to 3rd, there was a some talk how he would be fine because it's a shorter throw and because he can work on having a quick release. Think there was even a mention or two of a very good former Oriole third baseman that it was compared to...

I think Orioles brass (Brian Graham, maybe) opined that most of the throws from 3B are easier because of the angles, and I think that’s true to an extent.    Obviously, it’s not true of ball fielded near the foul line behind the bag.

As to the comparison to the allegedly weak arm of a certain HOF third baseman, that was one poster and the notion that said HOFer had a weak arm was pretty well debunked.    He just didn’t don’t have the cannon that many great 3B do.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Orioles brass (Brian Graham, maybe) opined that most of the throws from 3B are easier because of the angles, and I think that’s true to an extent.    Obviously, it’s not true of ball fielded near the foul line behind the bag.

As to the comparison to the allegedly weak arm of a certain HOF third baseman, that was one poster and the notion that said HOFer had a weak arm was pretty well debunked.    He just didn’t don’t have the cannon that many great 3B do.

Well, it’s not true. The idea that throws from 3B are actually easier than anywhere on the diamond except SS is ludicrous. I have a real problem with it. 

The angles he would see at 2B are similar to that at SS AND, hey guess what?, the throw is easier than 3B. I know, it’s incredible, right?

The only reason I can think of as to why they tried to further this line of reasoning was to support the move. They are the paid professionals after all, we’re just the dimwitted public. Who are you going to believe?

Moving Mountcastle to 2B is a valuable move if the alternative is eventually LF. 

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I do think Mountcastle will hit.

He's got that special sound off the bat.

Schoop had it.

I trust that sound.

Saw him a lot at Frederick.  Even if I wasn't paying attention, like while my 6 year old was hugging Keyote, you knew who had just hit the ball.  Loud.

1 hour ago, REDMAN said:

Big different between the two,  Sisco actually has a descent arm, its his footwork and release times that need work, I saw the same reports on Celeb and Russell improve them.  Mountcastle doesn't have a MLB arm and his ball to hand motion is extremely slow, he should never play a game in MLB at third. Both already have the bat to have long careers in baseball.

Sisco has accuracy issues on his throws which is highlighted by the issues you mentioned above. His arm strength is average honestly, but he almost has the yips at times times when he throws. that was highlighted in yesterday's game in which he made two poor throws that cost the team a run and two outs. It's not just on throwing out potential base stealers.

Sisco's bat has been very impressive this spring and his power has really taken a step forward, something some scouts told me early on would not happen. I like him in time share with Caleb once Trumbo comes back, and would not be against him getting the left-handed DH spot for now and carrying Susec instead of Pedro Alvarez.

I want to see Sisco's bat in the Orioles lineup. It's ready, and it looks like it's got a chance to be really good.

39 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Well, it’s not true. The idea that throws from 3B are actually easier than anywhere on the diamond except SS is ludicrous. I have a real problem with it. 

The angles he would see at 2B are similar to that at SS AND, hey guess what?, the throw is easier than 3B. I know, it’s incredible, right?

The only reason I can think of as to why they tried to further this line of reasoning was to support the move. They are the paid professionals after all, we’re just the dimwitted public. Who are you going to believe?

Moving Mountcastle to 2B is a valuable move if the alternative is eventually LF. 

My earlier post wasn’t clear — Graham was only comparing 3B to SS.    2B wasn’t part of the discussion.    

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

My earlier post wasn’t clear — Graham was only comparing 3B to SS.    2B wasn’t part of the discussion.    

And sorry if I came off slightly miffed with you, I wasn’t. 

12 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Moving Mountcastle to 3B was to fill a Manny sized hole, Graham’s statement was cover for that move, I don’t know if he really believed that the move would help Mountcastle’s throws.

That rings true, but doesn’t make sense. Find the best position for the kid which also will benefit the team. Paying a stopgap at one position shouldn’t be that difficult.

Of course, they could just pay Machado, keep Beckham at 3B and develop Mountcastle at 2B for when Schoop leaves. 

Well, we can’t keep them all.

27 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

And sorry if I came off slightly miffed with you, I wasn’t. 

That rings true, but doesn’t make sense. Find the best position for the kid which also will benefit the team. Paying a stopgap at one position shouldn’t be that difficult.

Of course, they could just pay Machado, keep Beckham at 3B and develop Mountcastle at 2B for when Schoop leaves. 

Well, we can’t keep them all.

I agree and I don’t like that they did it, but I have strong evidence that was a primary reason.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I remember Clevenger making the roster as backup catcher, he sucked so bad behind the plate, that Buck shipped him back to AAA, and he knew that in order to return, he had to improve on his defense.

Was that the year he had the 600 OPS or the year he had the 626 OPS?  The year he had a 740 OPS he broke 100 at bats.

31 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Do you have any opinion if Mountcastle  could handle 2B to keep his bat on the field as we seems to have enough OF prospects?

I don’t know, I wanted them to try him there instead of 3B. He still isn’t comfortable at 3B so it’d be rough to move him again so soon.

He’s not likely to be average defensively at 2B, but perhaps he could be good enough that it’s tolerable. The bat would play very well there.

Archived