Chris Davis needs to hit for avg.

bird watcher

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=9272&position=1B

I was looking through his stat line and noticed that he hit for really good avg. through the minors and in his good years at the majors was making much better contact.  His OBP looks pretty good in the years when his average is up.  Likely because he has natural power and pitchers know that.  Just hit the ball.  Make them pitch obviously out of the zone balls if they want to pitch around you.  

Don't try and walk.  Don't try and hit for power.  Just hit the ball and let the chips fall.  My betting is they will fall in his favor.  

If he has focus issues then JUST focusing on hitting the balls in the zone would go a long way in calming the mind.  Anything close to a strike = swing the bat. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hit the ball to the opposite field when opposing teams play a shift on him. He has proven , in past years, that he can hit the ball to the opposite field, he just refuses to do it anymore. If he would do that he would be fine. The year he hit 50 homers, he hit the ball the other way a lot. It worked wonders, why does he refuse to do that now? I can't understand it.

1 hour ago, joeyc said:

Hit the ball to the opposite field when opposing teams play a shift on him. He has proven , in past years, that he can hit the ball to the opposite field, he just refuses to do it anymore. If he would do that he would be fine. The year he hit 50 homers, he hit the ball the other way a lot. It worked wonders, why does he refuse to do that now? I can't understand it.

The differences are pretty trivial between his two great years and last year.    Here are the percentages of balls pulled, hit to center and hit the opposite way.

2013: 46.2%/30.9%/23.0%

2015: 55.9%/26.9%/17.6%

2017: 44.2%/34.0%/21.9%

As you can see, Davis actually pulled the ball less in 2017 than he did in his two great seasons, and he hit the ball the opposite way more than in 2015, though slightly less than in 2013.    Davis’ real problem is that he’s striking out more often and hitting more ground balls.    His K% and GB% for the three years:

2013: 29.6.%, 32.4%

2015: 31.0%, 31.8%

2017: 37.2%, 36.7%

(Note: GB% is the percentage of batted balls that are ground balls, not the percentage of plate appearances resulting in ground balls.)

Archived