2019 Oriole Life after Buck

Redskins Rick

Is this a bro-manance or what? :)

Is Buck laying the foundation for the next manager of the Orioles?

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/03/norfolks-ron-johnson-with-big-props-for-os-skipper-game-update.html

Showalter has often praised Johnson and appreciates his opinions on players over the years as he and the club decide which players to call up from the Tides.

“We speak a lot during the season and I value his opinion,” Showalter said before today’s game at Harbor Park. “I appreciate his sincere bluntness. He and Griff (pitching coach Mike Griffin) have been right a lot.”

Showalter has called Johnson “the best Triple-A manager in baseball.”

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see them going with a career MiL manager with no ML experience IF Buck doesn't come back.  I dunno what the deal is with Buck - he seems happy managing the team and not ready to leave, but I have no idea why he'd go into the season as a lame duck.  Maybe he plans to retire?  Who knows.  I for one hope he is back, he's the best manager this team has ever had other than a guy named Weaver.

Just to cut this off at the pass.............before people start to read too much here.

Buck has never spoken definitively one way or the other about where he will be after this year.  He is playing his cards close to the vest.......as he always does.  He has said he would like to keep managing in Baltimore after this year.

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2017/12/12/showalter-wanting-manage-orioles-2019-sure-also-thoughts-machado-trade-shortstop/

In my gut, I think Buck already knows what he’s doing in 2019, whether it’s leaving, staying on as manager, or moving to the front office.    There just hasn’t been a formal decision or announcement.

That said, I think if Buck got to choose his successor, he’d choose Russell, who’s been in the bench coach role for a long time (mid-2011).    

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In my gut, I think Buck already knows what he’s doing in 2019, whether it’s leaving, staying on as manager, or moving to the front office.    There just hasn’t been a formal decision or announcement.

That said, I think if Buck got to choose his successor, he’d choose Russell, who’s been in the bench coach role for a long time (mid-2011).    

I dont see Buck managing another team either.

Not sure why they would let Buck choose his successor, unless he is retain by the organization and moved to the front office.

Ideally, I want to see him in the dugout wearing Oriole uniform.

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if he told the Orioles to wait on his contract until after this season so that he could be “in the same boat” as the veterans leaving after the season. Perhaps as a way to leverage the “Lets get one on our way out” mentality. 

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

I really hope you are right, then why, didnt they do an extension this off-season, and prevent him from being a lame duck?????

I think their is a question on whether Duquette is coming back.  To extend Buck and not Dan would be awkward for the team.

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Buck is not going anywhere.  He wants to continue to manage IMO.  Still needs to win the WS to get to the Hall.

Then maybe he should go fishing for a team with a better probability of winning a WS in the next 5 years.    The odds aren’t great here.   Of course, teams that have a good shot at the WS don’t have managerial openings very often.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Then maybe he should go fishing for a team with a better probability of winning a WS in the next 5 years.    The odds aren’t great here.   Of course, teams that have a good shot at the WS don’t have managerial openings very often.   

This offseason in the AL East notwithstanding.

Archived