Pretty amazing off season: O's reload

wildcard

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Why?   It was a good offseason, if the objective was to give us a reasonable shot at a wildcard spot.    In the poll I ran, most people gave it a B — even webbrick2010!

I wouldn’t call a reasonable shot at the wild card a goal we should strive towards. Make a decision about the future of the franchise. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, waroriole said:

I wouldn’t call a reasonable shot at the wild card a goal we should strive towards. Make a decision about the future of the franchise. 

So if there’s a great team in your division, you should just give up?     

We play in the same division as the Yankees and the Red Sox.   Pretty often, one or the other of them is great.     We are not going to tank every time that’s true.     

13 hours ago, wildcard said:

Cobb and Cashner had 20 more quality starts than Miley and Ubaldo last year in the same number of starts.   

Cobb and Cashner 57 starts, 33 QS

Miley and Ubaldo 57 starts, 13 QS

Huge difference.

I’d be curious if QS have any predictive value.

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So if there’s a great team in your division, you should just give up?     

We play in the same division as the Yankees and the Red Sox.   Pretty often, one or the other of them is great.     We are not going to tank every time that’s true.     

Who said anything about tanking. I’m saying make some trades for the long term, get prospects for the guys we won’t resign, and have a plan that doesn’t involve flying by the seat of your pants. Yes, we were luck that Cobb fell to us. But, where would we be if the market didn’t tank?

11 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:
Team W QS W/QS
Dodgers 104 68 1.53
Astros 101 67 1.51
Marlins 77 54 1.43
Twins 85 62 1.37
Brewers 86 65 1.32
Angels 80 61 1.31
Rockies 87 68 1.28
Reds 68 54 1.26
Mariners 78 62 1.26
Royals 80 64 1.25
Orioles 75 61 1.23
Indians 102 84 1.21
Yankees 91 75 1.21
Cubs 92 77 1.19
Diamondbacks 93 82 1.13
Mets 70 62 1.13
Blue Jays 76 69 1.10
Rays 80 73 1.10
Pirates 75 69 1.09
White Sox 67 63 1.06
Padres 71 67 1.06
Red Sox 93 88 1.06
Cardinals 83 79 1.05
Athletics 75 73 1.03
Phillies 66 65 1.02
Rangers 78 79 0.99
Nationals 97 99 0.98
Braves 72 77 0.94
Tigers 64 72 0.89
Giants 64 82 0.78

2430 2121 1.15

Last year, on average, one quality start meant 1.15 wins. The data is pretty noisy though. Even teams like the Red Sox and Nats with great offenses were pretty bad at converting quality starts to wins. Nats had a terrible bullpen.

Would there be any sort of double counting in this? For example, you could have two opposing pitchers register a quality start, but only one team gets the win.

53 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Would there be any sort of double counting in this? For example, you could have two opposing pitchers register a quality start, but only one team gets the win.

Don’t think so. If we’re just trying to measure how many quality starts it takes to get a win, you’d have to include quality starts that don’t get you a win too.

But again, the methodology is completely flawed. There doesn’t seem to be any direct correlation between wins and quality starts. Just look at the disparity between the Giants and Dodgers.

21 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Don’t think so. If we’re just trying to measure how many quality starts it takes to get a win, you’d have to include quality starts that don’t get you a win too.

But again, the methodology is completely flawed. There doesn’t seem to be any direct correlation between wins and quality starts. Just look at the disparity between the Giants and Dodgers.

There is. Somewhere in this thread or another recent one someone posted the correlation stats. The correlation is not 1, but it's statistically significant. If I remember correctly it's something like a team is 15 - 30% more likely to win a quality start versus a non-quality start. I don't remember the exact correlation coefficient, but the analysis was recently posted. Maybe you meant strong correlation when you wrote "direct correlation"? It's not a super strong correlation, but they are correlated. 

6 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

There is. Somewhere in this thread or another recent one someone posted the correlation stats. The correlation is not 1, but it's statistically significant. If I remember correctly it's something like a team is 15 - 30% more likely to win a quality start versus a non-quality start. I don't remember the exact correlation coefficient, but the analysis was recently posted. Maybe you meant strong correlation when you wrote "direct correlation"? It's not a super strong correlation, but they are correlated. 

Thanks for this. 

On 3/28/2018 at 9:26 AM, Aglets said:

You don't win every game that you get a Quality Start.   I guess the exact percentage might be interesting to research.

It’s been researched.    Someone posted that teams have won 68% of their quality starts over the last several years.     And the Orioles did exactly that last year (42/62=67.7%).     

Archived