2018 Mike Wright

Frobby

12 hours ago, Mendoza Line said:

Please.  Take a look at the game logs before you try to do the 'Ah ha, gotcha' routine. 

Check out what is common in all those for about the last 10 games he's been in. 

We lost. 

Save three games ago in the 14th when Wright was essentially the last option. He has been put in low leverage situations.  You don't see Buck putting him in when we have a lead in the 7th or 8th inning.  Or Hangout members clamoring for him to be put in those situations either.  Why do you think that is?

In his last 13 innings, Wright has allowed 4 runs. Here is Wrights stats for June. The Orioles lose no matter who is on the mound, but it's hard to blame the bullpen when the starter either gives up 6 runs from the start or the offense scores 0 or 1.

June 24th - Wright came on in the 5th with the Orioles down only 2.

3 IP, 2 hits, 3 strike outs, 0 runs

June 22nd - Wright entered the game in the 14th with the scored tied at 7 in Atlanta. Picked up the win.

2 IP, 1 Hit, 1 walk, 1 strike out, 0 runs

June 19th - Wright entered in the 7th with the Orioles down 7-6 and 2 runners on.

1.2 IP, 4 Hits, 1 Run, 2 Walks, 1 Strike out

June 13th - Wright entered in the 5th with the Orioles down 1-0 and 2 runners on.

2.1 IP, 3 Hits, 2 walks, 1 strike out, 2 Runs, 1 HR

June 10th - Wright entered in the 4th with the Orioles down 13-1.

2.1 IP, 4 Hits, 2 strike outs, 0 Runs

June 8th - Wright entered the game in the 8th with the Orioles down 4-1.

1 IP, 1 HR, 1 Walk, 1 Run

June 1st - Wright entered the game in the 9th with the Orioles down 4-1.

1 IP, 1 strike out, 0 runs

Grand total: 13 Innings, 4 runs, 15 hits, 9 strike outs, 6 walks (1 IBB). Doesn't look like an implosion or a "wow, this dude is HORRIBLE!" Is he a right handed Britton? No.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

In his last 13 innings, Wright has allowed 4 runs. Here is Wrights stats for June. The Orioles lose no matter who is on the mound, but it's hard to blame the bullpen when the starter either gives up 6 runs from the start or the offense scores 0 or 1.

June 22nd - Wright entered the game in the 14th with the scored tied at 7 in Atlanta. Picked up the win.

June 19th - Wright entered in the 7th with the Orioles down 7-6 and 2 runners on.

June 13th - Wright entered in the 5th with the Orioles down 1-0 and 2 runners on.

Grand total: 13 Innings, 4 runs, 15 hits, 9 strike outs, 6 walks (1 IBB). Doesn't look like an implosion or a "wow, this dude is HORRIBLE!" Is he a right handed Britton? No.

Last 21.1 IP he's given up 4 runs total.

27 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

Agreed but a WHIP of 1.62 and 3:2 K/BB ratio would indicate that he is likely to give up many more runs than that going forward.  I not saying to get rid of him but just not expecting much from him going forward

43 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

Even better.

14 minutes ago, The Goob said:

Agreed but a WHIP of 1.62 and 3:2 K/BB ratio would indicate that he is likely to give up many more runs than that going forward.  I not saying to get rid of him but just not expecting much from him going forward

Sometimes, being lucky is better than being good.

4 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I thought I had gotten my point across, but let me elucidate. 

Outside of the 14th inning 3 games ago where again, there were no other options, when was the last time Wright was put in a game when we had a lead?

A blowout win, almost a month and a half ago.  Every other appearance he has been in, we were behind.  These are all essentially low leverage situations.  If he holds the score where it is in these games, great.  If he yields runs, well, with this offense we didn't expect to come back anyway. Do you see any team pay big money for relievers that are exclusively used in these scenarios?

Teams pay big money to closers and elite setup guys because these guys are consistently successful in high leverage situations where the team is ahead, and needs to remain ahead.

Wright's problem has never been his stuff.  The issue is mental.  When there are high pressure situations, and things don't go his way, he has imploded.  We've seen it many times over the last few years.

That said, I am glad he has found his role on the team rather than the DFA candidate that he was back in April.  On a 23- 53 team there is value to a guy who can eat multiple innings when our starters are failing and keep our better, tradeable relievers from being overworked and healthy.

Just call me skeptical when people start saying he's turned a corner.  Until he is trusted and proves he can handle situations where we need a hold in a close game where we have the lead, I will remain skeptical.

5 minutes ago, Mendoza Line said:

I thought I had gotten my point across, but let me elucidate. 

Outside of the 14th inning 3 games ago where again, there were no other options, when was the last time Wright was put in a game when we had a lead?

A blowout win, almost a month and a half ago.  Every other appearance he has been in, we were behind.  These are all essentially low leverage situations.  If he holds the score where it is in these games, great.  If he yields runs, well, with this offense we didn't expect to come back anyway. Do you see any team pay big money for relievers that are exclusively used in these scenarios?

Teams pay big money to closers and elite setup guys because these guys are consistently successful in high leverage situations where the team is ahead, and needs to remain ahead.

Wright's problem has never been his stuff.  The issue is mental.  When there are high pressure situations, and things don't go his way, he has imploded.  We've seen it many times over the last few years.

That said, I am glad he has found his role on the team rather than the DFA candidate that he was back in April.  On a 23- 53 team there is value to a guy who can eat multiple innings when our starters are failing and keep our better, tradeable relievers from being overworked and healthy.

Just call me skeptical when people start saying he's turned a corner.  Until he is trusted and proves he can handle situations where we need a hold in a close game where we have the lead, I will remain skeptical.

How is down one in the seventh low leverage?  That one is still a bit obfuscated.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

How is down one in the seventh low leverage?  That one is still a bit obfuscated.

Com'on man.  You pick one game out of like 15 for the sake of an argument.  You of all people on the Hangout love sample size.  Why are you picking the outlier here?  

Never mind the fact that it reiterates my point.  One of the few times he did not have a good outing this past month would have been that June 19th game, which might have been considered higher leverage.  He managed 4 hits and 2 walks in 1.2 innings.  Hardly shut down, and showing he can handle the pressure, which has been the problem his entire career.

1 minute ago, Mendoza Line said:

Com'on man.  You pick one game out of like 15 for the sake of an argument.  You of all people on the Hangout love sample size.  Why are you picking the outlier here?  

Never mind the fact that it reiterates my point.  One of the few times he did not have a good outing this past month would have been that June 19th game, which might have been considered higher leverage.  He managed 4 hits and 2 walks in 1.2 innings.  Hardly shut down, and showing he can handle the pressure, which has been the problem his entire career.

Com'on man I was mocking you for using elucidate.  ?

o

In his last 3 games combined, Wright has pitched 7.33 shutout innings ........ and all 3 games were close when he entered them.

7 OUTS: ) 3 Flyouts, 2 Groundouts, 2 Lineouts

DENNIMICHAEWRIGHT, JR. )))))))) (vs. MARINERS, 6/27)

IP:lll2.33 ) *

H:llll 1 )) (1 Single)

R:llll 0

BB:lll0

SO:lll3

Pitches: )l 32(19 )Strikes, )13 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 5.08  ) 44.33 IP  (25 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.692  )  44.33 IP  (75 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .305 )  (53 for 174)

* )) Wright entered the game with runners on 1st and 2nd Base, with 2 Outs.

PITCHES BY INNING

51 ll(21 lllStrikes, lll3 llllBalls) ) **

91 lll(51 lllStrikes, llllllBalls)

18 lll(12 lllStrikes, ll6 llllBalls)

** )) Wright recorded 1 out upon entering the game in the 7th inning.

o

• 2 weeks later...

o

6 OUTS: ) 4 Strikeouts, 2 Groundouts

DENNIMICHAEWRIGHT, JR. )))))))) (vs. YANKEES, 7/09) ))))))) [GAME ONE]

IP:lll2

H:llll 2 )) (2 Singles)

R:llll 1

BB:lll0

SO:lll4

Pitches: )l 33(22 )Strikes, )11 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 4.91  ) 47.67 IP  (26 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.657  )  47.33 IP  (79 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .303 )  (57 for 188)

PITCHES BY INNING

21 ll(14 lllStrikes, lll7 llllBalls)

12 lll(81 lllStrikes, ll4 llllBalls)

o

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Has he looked better?  I’m just box score following at this point?  His ERA is at least at a respectable place. I don’t know if we could ever trust him in high leverage situations. 

He's starting to use his 4S for swing and miss up in the zone, which is what he was doing in his most successful AAA stint. He touched 98mph. He's still throwing the stupid cutter he added to try and be a starter. 

He should just be a 1-2 inning FB/SL reliever who sits 96-98mph with an above average slider (which he used to have before he started with the cutter), maybe throw a change every once in a while to keep lefties honest. I don't think he has the command to be particularly good in that role, but he'd be MLB quality.

Archived