Replay question (Mancini replay call)

Hallas

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Unless John Gibbons is the manager.   That guy would ask for a replay to see if the sun really rose in the East.

Kevin Cash is pretty bad too.  

I didn't see the play at the time, but based on the image from Babypowder he certainly looks out.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Kevin Cash is pretty bad too.  

You’re right.   The Rays made the second-most challenges in baseball last year, with 62.   The Blue Jays were 8th, at 47.    The Rangers were tops at 63 and the Orioles dead last, at 28.

The O’s were successful 68% of the time, compared to 51% league average.    It could be argued that Buck is too conservative in challenging calls.    

37 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Theoretically yes, though I think that's a pretty informal limit.  Of course the vast majority of plays are not at all questionable.

I think the umps only take their mask off and voluntarily start waiting and looking at the manager if the play looked really close to the eye. For clear-cut plays, the ump will tend to try to move the game along unless a manager comes out of the dugout and starts asking for a challenge, or yells out of the dugout for the ump to give him 30 seconds.

During those 30 seconds, it's not just the manager sitting there thinking about whether he wants to challenge... he's waiting on his team's replay guy to watch the replay feed to determine if the play looked close enough that it's worth risking a challenge. The replay guy gives him a yes/no, then the manager indicates he does or doesn't want to challenge.

The ump will not usually grant this time unprompted, which is why we don't have a 30 second wait after every play on the field. The manager has to ask for the time.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You’re right.   The Rays made the second-most challenges in baseball last year, with 62.   The Blue Jays were 8th, at 47.    The Rangers were tops at 63 and the Orioles dead last, at 28.

The O’s were successful 68% of the time, compared to 51% league average.    It could be argued that Buck is too conservative in challenging calls.    

This could just as easily be due to the judgment of our replay review guy. If Buck stands on the top step to ask for 30 seconds to decide whether to challenge, and our replay review guy suggests not to, most of the time Buck won't challenge unless he himself strongly feels it needs to be looked at (he can overrule the replay review guy, I believe). If he respects the review guy's judgment and the review guy is conservative in thinking what's challengeable, then that's why we get 17% higher success but fewer attempts overall.

37 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Thanks for pulling this up. Looked out to me on replay, no problem with the call.

I thought the same thing. Questionable send but the fact that there were two-out made it ok to be aggressive.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

You lose 100% of the challenges you don't issue.  Obviously some aren't worth, but there have been times when it's very questionable and would save a run or more.

3 minutes ago, gmelson26 said:

You lose 100% of the challenges you don't issue.  Obviously some aren't worth, but there have been times when it's very questionable and would save a run or more.

There have been a few times over the years when Buck hasn’t challenged a call and it left me scratching my head.    I think he believes he garners some goodwill from the umpires by not challenging them as frequently as others.    

On a related note, did anyone catch Gardner whining after a called strike in one of his at bats?   Stepped out of the box and was openly bitching about it.    I doubt that garnered him a lot of goodwill!

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

There have been a few times over the years when Buck hasn’t challenged a call and it left me scratching my head.    I think he believes he garners some goodwill from the umpires by not challenging them as frequently as others.    

On a related note, did anyone catch Gardner whining after a called strike in one of his at bats?   Stepped out of the box and was openly bitching about it.    I doubt that garnered him a lot of goodwill!

I was a bit surprised he wasn't thrown out for that.  He seems to whine at nearly every at bat.  I'd think the umps would get tired of it.. You're outta here!

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'll be glad when he's gone. The last of a core of several irritating NY Yankees. While not necessarily irritating , add Chapman and Betances to that short list.

Archived