David Hess 2018

Rene88

1 hour ago, OrioleRedenbacher said:

For those that might be interested, Hess will be on MLB’s Chatting Cage at 2 ET today.

Couldn't find how to submit a question. I'd be interested in hearing more about the minor league ball vs. major league ball, see if the differences are overblown, etc. Not sure if that interests anyone else but I'm always curious. If someone wants to submit it too that is fine with me, not sure how.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

Hess had a rude awakening from the very first batter that he faced tonight when Curtis Granderson homered, then he kept the Blue Jays off of the scoreboard for the remainder of his outing (with some help from Mychal Antonio Givens.)

Hess was also the beneficiary of a Strike 'Em Out/Throw 'Em Out Double Play in the 4th inning.

18 OUTS: ) 6 Flyouts, 5 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play), 4 Strikeouts, 1 Lineout, 1 Caught Stealing

DAVIJAMES "D.J." HESS )))))) (vs. BLUE JAYS, 6/07)

IP:ll6 - PLUS

H:lll 5 )) (1 Home Run, 1 Double, 3 Singles)

R:llll 1

BB:ll2

SO:ll4

Pitches: )l 105(69 )Strikes, )36 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 3.07  ) 29.33 IP  (10 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.193  )  29.33 IP  (35 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .245 )  (27 for 110)

PITCHES BY INNING

26 l(17 lStrikes, lll91 llBalls)

15 ll(11 llStrikes, lll41 llBalls)

81 ll(71 llStrikes, lll11 llBalls)

20 ll(91 llStrikes, ll11 lllBalls)

12 ll(91 llStrikes, lll31 llBalls)

12 ll(81 llStrikes, lll41 llBalls)

61 ll(41 llStrikes, lll21 llBalls) ) *

* )) Hess did not record any outs before departing in the 7th inning.

o

Where are the comments about the league will figure him out or he hasn’t faced a good hitting team?

Should have a win if not for Buck’s insistence to use Brach despite the fact he has proven over and over he’s not a closer. Frustrating.

8 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Where are the comments about the league will figure him out or he hasn’t faced a good hitting team?

Should have a win if not for Buck’s insistence to use Brach despite the fact he has proven over and over he’s not a closer. Frustrating.

Was Brach a closer yesterday?  The day before?   The 8 times before that when he was called on to get the save?

The issue was pitching him three days in a row.   Very stupid.   And then leaving him in when he clearly was struggling.  It’s on Buck, not Brach.

As to Hess (the real subject of this thread), great to see him throw another good ballgame.     

Just now, Frobby said:

Was Brach a closer yesterday?  The day before?   The 8 times before that when he was called on to get the save?

The issue was pitching him three days in a row.   Very stupid.   And then leaving him in when he clearly was struggling.  It’s on Buck, not Brach.

As to Hess (the real subject of this thread), great to see him throw another good ballgame.     

It most definitely is largely on Brach as well. He has been horrific this year, with a horrible WHIP of 1.9. He was getting extremely lucky earlier in the year.

1 minute ago, amdcpus said:

It most definitely is largely on Brach as well. He has been horrific this year, with a horrible WHIP of 1.9. He was getting extremely lucky earlier in the year.

I don’t agree with the first sentence, but let’s debate it in a Brach thread.    Don’t want to derail this thread, where we should be focusing on Hess’s very good outing.  

8 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

Geez, I had no idea his WHIP was that bad.  He walked 14 in 23 innings before tonight.  Not exactly what you want from your closer.  I don't think Ubaldo's WHIP was that high last year.

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

Geez, I had no idea his WHIP was that bad.  He walked 14 in 23 innings before tonight.  Not exactly what you want from your closer.  I don't think Ubaldo's WHIP was that high last year.

I just checked, Ubaldo's WHIP last year was 1.59 last year.  Anyone want to bring back Ubaldo as closer?

4 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Hess had 2 bad moments (lead off home run to Granderson when he couldn't put him away and the 4th inning overall,) but he looked good as a 5th starter.

1 inning shy of a quality start. Blue Jays made him work.

He pitched 6 innings.

Archived