You are the Assistant GM: Trade Manny exercise

Tony-OH

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I walk into the war room, notice that Drungo's computer has BSOD'ed and Frobby's second monitor is flickering, and quickly break out my advanced IT skills. I replace Frobby's DisplayPort cable with a spare, bringing him back into the fight, then update Drungo's graphics driver so his rig can handle 3 monitors reliably without crashing.

Then I make my way to the tech pit and join an IT operations guy there, who's worriedly looking at a display of a Nagios dashboard showing a load factor of 4.85 on the CPU of the server that's streaming the night's games to the monitors. I SSH into that server and notice that it has been misconfigured with a barnyard2 rule to write every single incoming packet to a SQL database for logging purposes... which is taking a ton of CPU and disk resources. I reconfigure barnyard2 to only write data to SQL when it matches a Snort rule, and the CPU load factor is down to a manageable 1.10. A few seconds later, the quality of the Norfolk Tides game streaming to one of the big central monitors switches from 720p quality to 1080p because the server can now handle it and automatically adjusts the quality.

Satisfied that I've put out the immediate fires, I then head to the back office to join the data scientists and see if they need any infrastructure or coding support as they build and analyze mathematical models of the most favorable trading moves for each possible sequence of wins and losses from now til Memorial Day.

Oh. I'm supposed to be an assistant GM? Whoops. I guess I took the "roleplaying game" in an entirely different direction. I honestly have no clue what to trade. Just give the team subdermal injections of some of Hawk Harrelson's "Will to Win" and everything will fall into place. Or something. ;)

3 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

I walk into the war room, notice that Drungo's computer has BSOD'ed and Frobby's second monitor is flickering, and quickly break out my advanced IT skills. I replace Frobby's DisplayPort cable with a spare, bringing him back into the fight, then update Drungo's graphics driver so his rig can handle 3 monitors reliably without crashing.

Then I make my way to the tech pit and join an IT operations guy there, who's worriedly looking at a display of a Nagios dashboard showing a load factor of 4.85 on the CPU of the server that's streaming the night's games to the monitors. I SSH into that server and notice that it has been misconfigured with a barnyard2 rule to write every single incoming packet to a SQL database for logging purposes... which is taking a ton of CPU and disk resources. I reconfigure barnyard2 to only write data to SQL when it matches a Snort rule, and the CPU load factor is down to a manageable 1.10. A few seconds later, the quality of the Norfolk Tides game streaming to one of the big central monitors switches from 720p quality to 1080p because the server can now handle it and automatically adjusts the quality.

Satisfied that I've put out the immediate fires, I then head to the back office to join the data scientists and see if they need any infrastructure or coding support as they build and analyze mathematical models of the most favorable trading moves for each possible sequence of wins and losses from now til Memorial Day.

Oh. I'm supposed to be an assistant GM? Whoops. I guess I took the "roleplaying game" in an entirely different direction. I honestly have no clue what to trade. Just give the team subdermal injections of some of Hawk Harrelson's "Will to Win" and everything will fall into place. Or something. ;)

I dozed off halfway through, did I miss something important?

4 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

That might be the first time I've ever had a valid point on this forum. It only took me almost 6100 posts. By the time I have as many posts as you, I might have 10 valid points! I'm batting 0.00016. Not bad.

Might even get a bird by then.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Might even get a bird by then.

Are they still giving out birds? I thought the new forum doesn't really track "Rep" anymore. You just get various hearts or stars or laugh reactions now. Do I get rep if someone laughs at a post I wrote? How about confusion? Those are the two most common reactions.

4 minutes ago, allquixotic said:

Are they still giving out birds? I thought the new forum doesn't really track "Rep" anymore. You just get various hearts or stars or laugh reactions now. Do I get rep if someone laughs at a post I wrote? How about confusion? Those are the two most common reactions.

I think so. I think I'm a bit over 300 away from #10.  I should get there next month.

I don't know if confused gives rep.  Laugh does.

Archived