You are the Assistant GM: Trade Manny exercise

Tony-OH

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Machado to the Dodgers for Mitchell White and Cristian Santana

Mitchell White

Scouting grades: Fastball: 65 | Slider: 65 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 45 | Control: 50 | Overall: 55

White had Tommy John surgery after graduating from high school in 2013 and served as a reliever at Santa Clara as a redshirt freshman two years later before surging up Draft boards after moving into the Broncos' rotation in 2016. The Dodgers selected him 65th overall, Santa Clara's highest pick since Randy Winn went in the same spot 21 years earlier, and signed him for a well below-slot $590,800. He advanced to Double-A in his first full pro season and might have progressed further had a broken toe not sidelined him for nearly two months.

When former Dodgers vice president of baseball operations (now Braves GM) Alex Anthopoulos saw him in Spring Training one day last year, he remarked that White had the type of stuff that would fit a No. 1 overall pick. His fastball sat around 90 mph at the start of 2016 but now operates at 92-97 mph and plays up with natural sink and run. That's not necessarily his best pitch because he also possesses a power slider with late bite that can reach 88 mph, and he also has the ability to morph it into an even harder and equally effective cutter.

White also has a curveball that can be a true hammer at times, and after focusing on his breaking pitches in 2017, he'll work to refine his changeup this year. He also needs to sharpen his control and command, and he has the athleticism and sound delivery to do so. He generates a ton of swings and misses as well as weak contact, with 61 percent of the batters he faced in his first two pro seasons either striking out or grounding out against him.

Cristian Santana

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 55 | Run: 45 | Arm: 60 | Field: 55 | Overall: 45

Signed for $50,000 out of the Dominican Republic as the 2013-14 international signing period came to a close, Santana led the Rookie-level Arizona League with eight homers in his 2016 U.S. debut. A shaky performance in instructional league that fall left the Dodgers wondering if he could survive against better pitching, but he made adjustments and had a spectacular 2017. He batted .537 with five homers in 10 games at Rookie-level Ogden, hit .322 at Class A Great Lakes and then went 7-for-17 (.417) in the high Class A California League playoffs for a combined .366/.394/.556 line.

Santana worked to calm down his right-handed stroke, allowing him to get more out of his electric bat speed. He has met few pitches that he won't chase and still overswings too hard at times but he's beginning to realize that he has plenty of natural pop. He makes more than enough consistent hard contact to hit for average and power, albeit with few walks.

Santana also has transformed himself into one of the system's better infield defenders. He has an easy plus arm and the ability to make throws from any angle necessary at third base, though his accuracy needs to improve. His decent speed and quickness have led Los Angeles to play him at all four infield spots, though he's better suited for the corners.

Of course, if we'd be willing to take Matt Kemp off their hands, we could probably get more. Is two players too light here? I could certainly see LA getting desperate with this situation. Drew Jackson is a 2B/SS in their system or perhaps Caleb Ferguson. However, I don't think the Dodgers have the cap space to sign Machado. Two guys may be all we can get... depends how desperate they are.

41 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Machado to the Dodgers for Mitchell White and Cristian Santana

Mitchell White

Scouting grades: Fastball: 65 | Slider: 65 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 45 | Control: 50 | Overall: 55

White had Tommy John surgery after graduating from high school in 2013 and served as a reliever at Santa Clara as a redshirt freshman two years later before surging up Draft boards after moving into the Broncos' rotation in 2016. The Dodgers selected him 65th overall, Santa Clara's highest pick since Randy Winn went in the same spot 21 years earlier, and signed him for a well below-slot $590,800. He advanced to Double-A in his first full pro season and might have progressed further had a broken toe not sidelined him for nearly two months.

When former Dodgers vice president of baseball operations (now Braves GM) Alex Anthopoulos saw him in Spring Training one day last year, he remarked that White had the type of stuff that would fit a No. 1 overall pick. His fastball sat around 90 mph at the start of 2016 but now operates at 92-97 mph and plays up with natural sink and run. That's not necessarily his best pitch because he also possesses a power slider with late bite that can reach 88 mph, and he also has the ability to morph it into an even harder and equally effective cutter.

White also has a curveball that can be a true hammer at times, and after focusing on his breaking pitches in 2017, he'll work to refine his changeup this year. He also needs to sharpen his control and command, and he has the athleticism and sound delivery to do so. He generates a ton of swings and misses as well as weak contact, with 61 percent of the batters he faced in his first two pro seasons either striking out or grounding out against him.

Cristian Santana

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 55 | Run: 45 | Arm: 60 | Field: 55 | Overall: 45

Signed for $50,000 out of the Dominican Republic as the 2013-14 international signing period came to a close, Santana led the Rookie-level Arizona League with eight homers in his 2016 U.S. debut. A shaky performance in instructional league that fall left the Dodgers wondering if he could survive against better pitching, but he made adjustments and had a spectacular 2017. He batted .537 with five homers in 10 games at Rookie-level Ogden, hit .322 at Class A Great Lakes and then went 7-for-17 (.417) in the high Class A California League playoffs for a combined .366/.394/.556 line.

Santana worked to calm down his right-handed stroke, allowing him to get more out of his electric bat speed. He has met few pitches that he won't chase and still overswings too hard at times but he's beginning to realize that he has plenty of natural pop. He makes more than enough consistent hard contact to hit for average and power, albeit with few walks.

Santana also has transformed himself into one of the system's better infield defenders. He has an easy plus arm and the ability to make throws from any angle necessary at third base, though his accuracy needs to improve. His decent speed and quickness have led Los Angeles to play him at all four infield spots, though he's better suited for the corners.

Of course, if we'd be willing to take Matt Kemp off their hands, we could probably get more. Is two players too light here? I could certainly see LA getting desperate with this situation. Drew Jackson is a 2B/SS in their system or perhaps Caleb Ferguson. However, I don't think the Dodgers have the cap space to sign Machado. Two guys may be all we can get... depends how desperate they are.

I'd say that is a bit light, especially since Mitchell has been dealing with some nagging injury and hasn't pitched yet this year.

8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I'd say that is a bit light, especially since Mitchell has been dealing with some nagging injury and hasn't pitched yet this year.

True, but I highly doubt they part with Buehler and not all that high on Yadier Alvarez. I don't see them selling low on White and it is odd that there's no definitive report of what's wrong with him, so I guess it would depend. Perhaps Dennis Santana if White's injury is serious, but I'd really want White in the deal personally if nothing serious is going on with him. I think I'd be disappointed if either Santana was headlining this deal considering Dennis is #10 in their system and Cristian is #14. White is #4, at least, according to MLB"s list.

Just now, Sessh said:

True, but I highly doubt they part with Buehler and not all that high on Yadier Alvarez. I don't see them selling low on White and it is odd that there's no definitive report of what's wrong with him, so I guess it would depend. Perhaps Dennis Santana if White's injury is serious, but I'd really want White in the deal personally if nothing serious is going on with him. I think I'd be disappointed if either Santana was headlining this deal considering Dennis is #10 in their system and Cristian is #14. White is #4, at least, according to MLB"s list.

I like White, but I want Keibert Ruiz as well.

Just now, Luke-OH said:

I like White, but I want Keibert Ruiz as well.

I was looking at him too, but I don't think we could get both. What do you think about Cristian Santana? Any other pitcher you like? Ferguson is kind of intriguing. I"d really want to get at least one pitcher in the deal.

1 minute ago, Sessh said:

I was looking at him too, but I don't think we could get both. What do you think about Cristian Santana? Any other pitcher you like? Ferguson is kind of intriguing. I"d really want to get at least one pitcher in the deal.

I think they need to get both, or similar quality. I don't think that's an over-ask, especially give the Dodgers talent depth and need.

Just now, DirtyBird said:

How much have you watched their prospects?

I've watched some of them (video, not live). Keibert was a guy I had my eye on from the 2016-2017 offseason, I was talking about him as a target during the 2017 deadline.

This is deal that I think would be fair to the Dodgers (not asking for their near ready blue-chippers Verdugo, Buelher) and a haul for the Orioles.

Keibert Ruiz, Mitchell White, Gavin Lux, and Rylan Bannon. I've watched plenty of video on all but White. I'd be ok with a different pitcher instead of White (Santana, Sheffield, May).

Bannon (3B) was one of my favorite under the radar draft prospects for the 2017 draft. Lux has 1st round pedigree and is a solid middle infield prospect.

17 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I've watched some of them (video, not live). Keibert was a guy I had my eye on from the 2016-2017 offseason, I was talking about him as a target during the 2017 deadline.

This is deal that I think would be fair to the Dodgers (not asking for their near ready blue-chippers Verdugo, Buelher) and a haul for the Orioles.

Keibert Ruiz, Mitchell White, Gavin Lux, and Rylan Bannon. I've watched plenty of video on all but White. I'd be ok with a different pitcher instead of White (Santana, Sheffield, May).

Bannon (3B) was one of my favorite under the radar draft prospects for the 2017 draft. Lux has 1st round pedigree and is a solid middle infield prospect.

Manny, Sisco, DJ Stewart

for

Ruiz, Diaz, Lux, Bannon and O’s choice of pitcher not named Buelher

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Manny, Sisco, DJ Stewart

for

Ruiz, Diaz, Lux, Bannon and O’s choice of pitcher not named Buelher

Sisco is at least comparably valuable to anyone on that list, the Orioles would be stupid to include him.

If the Orioles want to sweeten the pot, they pay some or all of Manny's salary.

13 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Keibert Ruiz, Mitchell White, Gavin Lux, and Rylan Bannon. I've watched plenty of video on all but White. I'd be ok with a different pitcher instead of White (Santana, Sheffield, May)

Wow, you really think we could get all that even though it seems highly unlikely that LA will be able to afford Machado? That would be impressive to say the least.

Sheffield seems to have problems with control and has struggled in pro ball thus far. May is also dealing with an undisclosed injury which may be the same undisclosed injury he was dealing with last season, so perhaps there's durability concerns there as well. I do like Santana and Ferguson seems to be the best lefty in their system.

This could get interesting if the Orioles try to pursue this. Then again, this IS the Orioles...

Archived