Buck confident in Davis' resurgence: 'It's there'

Bonecrusher52

30 minutes ago, atomic said:

So Mark McGwire is the one baseball player you respect?  And even then you are wrong.  McGwire did not walk away from his contract.  He didn't sign an extension and instead retired.  Please show me someone who walked away from over 100 million dollars in baseball which is what Chris has on his contract.

And I don't believe  for a second you if you were in Chris Davis shoes would walk away from his contract.  Davis just turned 32. I am guessing you are much older than Chris Davis.   

There is no reason to expect Chris Davis to walk away from the contract he signed. He got Boras as an agent for a reason.  If the Orioles are stupid enough to sign him to such a contract why should he not get the money he was entitled to?  

I'm not a baseball player I'm an actor. If I had made 100 M in the movies as an actor by age 32 I definitely would have walked away from that career and started my own Theatre. It's never been about making money for me. And I don't know how you get that McGwire is the one player I respect from what I have said.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'd be lying if I said the thought didn't cross my mind. As backhanded as this sounds, I think the only thing they can do is make life miserable for him and hope his negotiates a buy out. That starts with benching him. 

I don't want Davis to fail a drug test, but I wouldn't exactly be torn up about it at the same time.  Davis sat twice against the Tigers, so maybe Buck will be more aggressive in reducing CD's playing time.  

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He played it out.   It should be noted, he never quite got to the level of futility Davis is at right now.   He had a 95 OPS+ over his 5 year deal, and his worst year was 85.   Davis is at 44 right now.   

Howard's WAR suffered more from his defense than offense.  I'll take bad defense from a 1B if I'm getting close 100 OPS+ from him.  And it's the AL, so you have the DH option.  

8 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

This is worth a read:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-chris-davis-sits-20180429-story.html

This speaks volumes to me:

If you remember, a lot of his issues started when his first child was born. I'm not trying to connect any dots there necessarily, but you have to wonder what external factors are having an impact on his play. I'd love to know exactly what Buck said to him though. We all see Buck as a players' manager, but something tells me he knows how to convey a message to a player when he needs to, regardless of said player's paycheck.

I don't know if Buck meant "baseball player" in the sense that, his personal life/business obligations/etc. are pulling him away from the game too much.

I thought he meant that CD needs to get back to a guy who doesn't try to hit a homer on a every swing of every at bat in every situation.  IE, a guy who plays for the team in each situation.

6 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

I don't know if Buck meant "baseball player" in the sense that, his personal life/business obligations/etc. are pulling him away from the game too much.

I thought he meant that CD needs to get back to a guy who doesn't try to hit a homer on a every swing of every at bat in every situation.  IE, a guy who plays for the team in each situation.

I absolutely think it's both. I think he got away from it and it's been hard to get all the way back. I can't think of any other explanation as to why he fell off such a steep cliff so abruptly.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

...but Davis isn't going to retire tomorrow. I'm very confident in his ability to post negative WAR numbers for the next four seasons. 

I miscalculated, so during his last contract his production was actually -1.6 to -4.6 WAR depending on which method you use.

Chris is currently positive on his contract, so he has a lot of bad to go before he hits that level.  I'm not entirely sure that even Buck gives him that much playing time if he is really that awful.

2 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I miscalculated, so during his last contract his production was actually -1.6 to -4.6 WAR depending on which method you use.

Chris is currently positive on his contract, so he has a lot of bad to go before he hits that level.  I'm not entirely sure that even Buck gives him that much playing time if he is really that awful.

How is he positive on his contact?

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Union doesn't have the power to stop it.

I don't think Davis would do it.

It certainly would be not feasible under the existing CBA.    Davis would have to forgo any further compensation once he terminated his contract (which would be insane for him to do).    There is no mechanism for renegotiating the terms of an existing guaranteed contract for the sole purpose of reducing that guaranteed amount. 

MAJOR LEAGUE RULES MLR 1 to 3(c)

(1) Uniform Contract for Major League Players. To preserve morale among Major League players and to produce the similarity of conditions necessary for keen competition, the contracts between all Major League Clubs and their players on the Major League Reserve List shall be in the form prescribed by any Basic Agreement in effect between the Major Leagues and the Major League Baseball Players Association.

(3) Except with the written approval of the Commissioner, no Major or Minor League Club shall enter into a contract with a player that differs from the Major League Uniform Player’s Contracts or Minor League Uniform Player Contracts. All contracts shall be in duplicate and the player shall retain a counterpart original. All Major League Uniform Player’s Contracts and all Minor League Uniform Player Contracts must be filed with the Commissioner or the Commissioner’s designee for approval.

MAJOR LEAGUE RULES MLR 8(h) to 9(a)

(h) SALARY OBLIGATIONS. If a contract is terminated by the player, as provided in Rule 8(f) (Notice to Player of Waiver Claims, and Right of Player to Terminate

Contract), the player shall be entitled to compensation through the date of the player’s notice of termination and not thereafter.

If the player’s contract is not claimed, upon effective termination of the contract according to Rule 8(g) (Notice of Termination If No Claims), the player shall be entitled to termination pay in accordance with the terms of the contract.

If the player’s contract is claimed and not terminated by the player, the Major League Club shall give notice to the player of the assignment of the player’s contract. The assignee Major League Club shall be liable to the player for payments accruing after the date of such notice of assignment.

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

I'm not a baseball player I'm an actor. If I had made 100 M in the movies as an actor by age 32 I definitely would have walked away from that career and started my own Theatre. It's never been about making money for me. And I don't know how you get that McGwire is the one player I respect from what I have said.

I doubt too many people who make 100 million dollars aren't in it for the money.   And I don't know of too many actors who made 100 million by 32 walking away from it willingly.  Acting is a lot more subjective than baseball.  But IMHO guys like Brad Pitt,  Johnny Depp,  and Adam Sand

Just now, atomic said:

I doubt too many people who make 100 million dollars aren't in it for the money.   And I don't know of too many actors who made 100 million by 32 walking away from it willingly.  Acting is a lot more subjective than baseball.  But IMHO guys like Brad Pitt,  Johnny Depp,  and Adam Sand

Have lost the ability to act a high level but continue to collect big paychecks.   

Anyway it is not our business to tell Chris Davis to walk away from his contract.  Easy to say what you would do when you will never be in someone else's position. 

59 minutes ago, atomic said:

Have lost the ability to act a high level but continue to collect big paychecks.   

Anyway it is not our business to tell Chris Davis to walk away from his contract.  Easy to say what you would do when you will never be in someone else's position. 

The people here calling Davis dishonorable for not retiring from the team and giving up his contract are laughable. He and his agent negotiated the contract, the Orioles agreed, and he should be paid his contract. 

2 hours ago, El Gordo said:

I'm not a baseball player I'm an actor. If I had made 100 M in the movies as an actor by age 32 I definitely would have walked away from that career and started my own Theatre. It's never been about making money for me. 

Don't forget your agent.  I don't know what percentage of CD's contract is due and payable to Scott Boras, but I can't see Boras giving up is commission, can you?  If the agent gets 15%, Boras is due around $24M.

Archived