So I stopped wearing my Orioles ballcap.

Natty

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not a front runner. I grew up playing baseball as a kid wanting to become Boog Powell, Brooks Robinson or Merv  Rettenmund. Some things will never change. That's one of them. I will wear my Orioles cap as long as I am taking in Oxygen, this sorry situation can not change that. I just want them to play the kids, trade the vets of value and release the guys who need to be released. I can live with losing while the young guys play. I am tired of this FO and the "compete now" attitude. Lets get real and build for a brighter future.

The only time I've been hassled on the street for wearing an Os hat was in Boston in the mid 00s. It was during the Sux "cowboy up" renaissance, and the Orioles were irrelevant in the East. I just chalked it up to being Boston. Nobody is friendly there. 

I remember sometime back in 08 or 09 I was wearing my hat while walking up to the local theatre to see a movie and some guy said, “An Orioles fan? I never see them around much.” I just kept walking. Didn’t have time to talk anyway as I was late. That’s when I actually still went to see a movie. Now, I just watch them for free. 

15 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

Out of curiosity, where was this? Whenever I wear my Orioles hat in public, nobody ever says anything.

Calvert County. Everyone's friendly here and talks to me. 

17 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Thanks.

The thing about the mask is that I always wear it to all games at home and on the road, except for Yankees Stadium (the only Major League or Minor League Stadium that I have been to that does not allow masks.) So I continued to wear it in the franchise's Renaissance period (2012-2016), as well as in the hard and trying times.

o

That’s a mask? I thought that was how the colorful OFFNY looked every day. :)

Actually, on my phone, it looked like face paint. You are indeed brave.  On the road, I’d honestly be concerned with my safety in that gear. Especially the mask, finger and monkey. Way too many stories of folks getting beat up for just being visiting fans.  I’ve worn an Orioles cap and warmup jacket in The Bronx and Fenway, but that was 17 years ago when I was younger and could defend myself. 

On 5/6/2018 at 6:57 AM, Natty said:

Everywhere I go people were pointing at my hat and saying things like "worst team in baseball"  or "them birds are cooked". Some people just pointed to my hat and shook their heads. It's just embarrassing and depressing. So I'm back to wearing my camo ballcap now.

Go ahead call me a fair weather fan.

Should I save my O's ballcap for a few years hoping they will get better? Or should I just flush it down the toilet? 

Good grief don't throw away the O's cap. The O's are cooked this season.  But keep on cheering for them. I am for them win or lose. 

I’ve given up wearing my Orioles jerseys and t-shirts as I’ve grown too fat and outgrown them. The only Orioles hat that looks good on me since I grew my hair out long is the Wild Bill cowboy hat. So I wear that. I do have an Orioles bathrobe,  but I don’t wear that in public except to go to the mailbox, though it would complete my Labowski “The Dude”  look. 

Edit: my wife just pointed out I do wear my Orioles pajama bottoms when in the kids school carpool. 

18 hours ago, PaulFolk said:

Out of curiosity, where was this? Whenever I wear my Orioles hat in public, nobody ever says anything.

2 hours ago, Natty said:

Calvert County. Everyone's friendly here and talks to me. 

I’m in NC. I get “are you from Maryland” or “are you from Baltimore”? All the time.

I get that a lot from my guitar students as well as our house has O’s memorabilia everywhere, especially caps from all the years, plus promo caps from games, etc. My close friends do rib me when the O’s are bad, but my interactions with strangers, like at the bank or in line somewhere is asking if I’m from that area. 

I've been wearing O's caps here in California for 25 years now. When people ask, "Are you from Baltimore?" I reply, "Of course, you don't think anyone would CHOOSE to be an Orioles fan, do you?" ?

I have a horde of O’s paraphernalia that I never wear because something bad always happens when I do. The last time I wore something O’s related (other than as painting clothes in December) was a certain Mussina start in a playoff game. I will occasionally look at the gear to gain inspiration, but they stay in the back of my closet.

23 hours ago, thatbearflies said:

I wore an Orioles hat today when I was shopping at Lowes. No one really ever says anything. I've been wearing an Orioles hat since I was a child so, I'm definitely not stopping now. Everyone can know what team I support and there has been a lot of bad years, but the good years are fun and I look forward to the great years ahead...even if I might be in a senior citizen facility by the time they get here.

The only time I have had anyone even make a joke about the Orioles being bad was at Dorney Park in Allentown, PA. Even then, they used it as an opening to talk about baseball in general, not denigrate the O's. They were Pirates fans so I think they just were glad to talk to someone else who followed baseball. That's another reason I love wearing my Orioles hat. I'm supporting my team, but it also invites people who care about baseball, to come talk about baseball.

Ultimately, people can say what they want when I am wearing an O's hat. I'm not actually the team so, if they are wearing an Astros hat, for instance, contrary to how they might feel about themselves, THEY (the individual) are not a champion, but they are someone who likes a champion. I like the Orioles and I hope to one day be someone who likes the reigning champions. 

I was shopping at the grocery and there was man wearing and O's shirt. There are fans in Texas. Still fans even though they are having a bad season.

On 5/6/2018 at 2:53 PM, OFFNY said:

o

When I was in graduate school at Lehman College (in the Bronx) in the Fall of 2009, one of the advisors (Yankee fan) told me that it must be embarrassing to be wearing the Orioles gear like I was doing. I told him that it's easy to wear your team's gear and wave the flag when they are doing well, but that a team REALLY NEEDS YOU  when the chips are down, like they were at that time (2009), and like they are now in 2018. A woman who was in the room looked at the two of us, motioned towards me and said, "I want HIM on my side." Unbeknownst to me, she happened to be my professor for the class that I was about to start in the upcoming semester. 

And thankfully, I have eternal visual proof that I support my team(s) through thick and thin, as the dated photo below (from September of 2009) shows. 

At Fenway Park

o

o

The D-Rays just sustained their 3rd-worst loss in franchise history (1998-Present.)

In 2003, they lost a game by 18 runs to the Red Sox.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BOS/BOS200207231.shtml 

In 2007, they lost a game by 17 runs to the Yankees.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/NYA/NYA200707220.shtml

Today, they lost to the Orioles by 16 runs.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=380513101

o

Archived