So I stopped wearing my Orioles ballcap.

Natty

31 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Post about team pride then show a pic of you hiding your face? It's a cool pic, just find the irony funny. Not meant to be a jab. It's a cool story bro.

Actually he's not hiding his face that's his real face.:D

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Post about team pride then show a pic of you hiding your face? It's a cool pic, just find the irony funny. Not meant to be a jab. It's a cool story, bro.

4 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Actually, he's not hiding his face, that's his real face. ) :D

o

When I was born in October of 1965, my mother immediately knew who my favorite baseball team would be.

o

41 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

There may be good years, and bad years, but this is life too. Not every year is sweet, not every season is enjoyable.But I'll never,ever,stop loving my birds.I will wear my hat with pride, and I will try and watch my team when I choose now, and look towards the future. This team will not resemble the team we will have next year. Many will not return, but like life, changes are both inevitable and the only way to make progress. Im an Oriole fan, today, now, and forever. I don't tell what anyone else to do...but I'll still love my team.Its a love that will never die.

My feelings exactly. I watched them all through the 14 year stretch when.. 500 was a dream, and it's not like they were anything special before that, save for 1996 and 1997. The 1989 season was fun until the final weekend, but the only reason the Orioles were contending for the division title that year was because the entire division was down (89 wins won the division-a real fluke.)

22 minutes ago, Ori-Al said:

My feelings exactly. I watched them all through the 14 year stretch when.. 500 was a dream, and it's not like they were anything special before that, save for 1996 and 1997. The 1989 season was fun until the final weekend, but the only reason the Orioles were contending for the division title that year was because the entire division was down (89 wins won the division-a real fluke.)

1992-94 weren’t too bad. In contention until September in 92,93. 94 when the strike hit in WC contention and had just taken 2/3 from NYY. 

I remember being ticked off it had been over 10 years since a WS title. I was frustrated we fell apart in September back to back years. Now I wonder if I will ever see a WS title again. 

10 hours ago, Natty said:

Everywhere I go people were pointing at my hat and saying things like "worst team in baseball"  or "them birds are cooked". Some people just pointed to my hat and shook their heads. It's just embarrassing and depressing. So I'm back to wearing my camo ballcap now.

Go ahead call me a fair weather fan.

Should I save my O's ballcap for a few years hoping they will get better? Or should I just flush it down the toilet? 

I'm going to call bs on this. I wear my O's hat all the time and never had a word said. I'm in New York City 2-3 times a week...never a word.

I would be surprised if someone in an environment outside of a stadium made a comment out of the blue about a sports hat, unless they shared an interest in the same team.

Only recently did my girlfriend learn about my ‘system’ — I wear a classic orange cap after the Birds win, and a black-on-black cap “O’s” cap if they lost (“out of mourning,” I told her).

Earlier today she asked, “Black cap day?”

”Black cap year,” I replied.

I don't usually wear hats. I'm bald and probably should though...

However, I do wear O's shirts all the time. I'm wearing one right now as I type this. Whenever my wife buys my T's she makes sure it's either O's or Ravens. I usually get attention up here in the Philly burbs because there aren't many O's fans up here, but I rarely get grief about it. Even when I do, I just laugh it off and cry on the inside. You can take away our wins, but you can't take away my love for the Orioles.

I wore an Orioles hat today when I was shopping at Lowes. No one really ever says anything. I've been wearing an Orioles hat since I was a child so, I'm definitely not stopping now. Everyone can know what team I support and there has been a lot of bad years, but the good years are fun and I look forward to the great years ahead...even if I might be in a senior citizen facility by the time they get here.

The only time I have had anyone even make a joke about the Orioles being bad was at Dorney Park in Allentown, PA. Even then, they used it as an opening to talk about baseball in general, not denigrate the O's. They were Pirates fans so I think they just were glad to talk to someone else who followed baseball. That's another reason I love wearing my Orioles hat. I'm supporting my team, but it also invites people who care about baseball, to come talk about baseball.

Ultimately, people can say what they want when I am wearing an O's hat. I'm not actually the team so, if they are wearing an Astros hat, for instance, contrary to how they might feel about themselves, THEY (the individual) are not a champion, but they are someone who likes a champion. I like the Orioles and I hope to one day be someone who likes the reigning champions. 

Archived