Has there ever been a player at Davis level

brooksfrankjim

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

It’s one month.  Everyone has a right to be worried, but things change.   I remember one year Jeter really struggled through the first two months. Hit something like .200

But it isn't one month, this is a continuation of last season.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

It’s one month.  Everyone has a right to be worried, but things change.   I remember one year Jeter really struggled through the first two months. Hit something like .200

It's been way longer than a month. Did you watch him last year? He's a liability that's paid like a superstar.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But it isn't one month, this is a continuation of last season.

That’s fair, but there is a history of him being a feast or famine hitter.  I see evidence he is trying to change his approach just watching him, so I have some hope.   I also think part of this is in his head.   We will see

40 minutes ago, waroriole said:

You don’t think it would be more embarrassing to be the guy who was so bad he had to give part of his contract to charity?

13 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I saw when the late Lyman Bostock gave some of his money to charity when he wasn't performing well, and it was a nice gesture. Davis is much much worse than Bostock ever was, and then Bostock got killed.

o

Bostock donated his entire month of April's check to charity in 1978, soon after having signed a very pricy free agent contract with the Angels.

He at first tried to give the money back to the team's owner (Gene Autry), but Autry refused. That was when Bostock donated it to charity.

Bostock had batted .147 for that month, had an OBP of .200, and an OPS of .440.

o

Adam Dunn had 36 HR and slashed .260/.356/.536 with the Nats in 2010 at age 30.  He fell off to 11 HR, .159/.292/.277 with the White Sox in 2012, at age 31.  He recovered with 41 HR and .224/.333/.468  the next season.  I'd be satisfied with Chris Davis being as good as Adam Dunn was at age 32.  Unfortunately, I think the Age 31 Adam Dunn is more like what we're going to get from Chris Davis this year.  

42 minutes ago, baltfan said:

That’s fair, but there is a history of him being a feast or famine hitter.  I see evidence he is trying to change his approach just watching him, so I have some hope.   I also think part of this is in his head.   We will see

You don’t really believe what you are saying.

I wish I could be embarrassed like Davis. Make $160m to totally stink at my job. Oh the humanity.

The Orioles are the ones that should be embarrassed. They gave Davis that huge deal 1 year removed from a sub .200 BA and a sub .100 OPS+.

His collapse was predictable. And they ignored the warning signs. 

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The time is now to discuss restructuring CD’s contract to a structured buyout and spread the payments over the next 20 years.

Either that or spike his food with HGH prior to a surprise drug contest.  

A restructuring/buyout certainly makes some sense. But let's get real for a second. Davis isn't screwing around. He seems to be working as hard as he can, and doing what the team and its coaches have asked him to do. He apparently is  performing to the best of his ability.   

Who is going to approach Boras, and ask that Chris and he agree to negotiate something that they don't have to consider, and apparently no MLB player or agent ever has ever agreed to in any remotely similar circumstances? And with whom would Boras negotiate? Peter Angelos?  One of his sons, or Brady Anderson, so that Boras can agree to a deal and then have it shot down by Peter? 

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see anyway of this possibility going forward during his season.

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

Some people have mentioned Richie Sexson.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/sexsori01.shtml

What makes the Davis situation is unique is the contract.   There are plenty of guys who dropped off the cliff for just one really bad year and no one wanted them as a free agent, so they just disappeared.   So no one ever saw the worst of their dropoff.  Davis is still in the first half of a long term contract so he's going to keep going out there and doing what he's doing for the forseeable future.

Sexson's OPS in his drop-off year (2007) was nearly 200 points higher than Chris Davis' current OPS.  Let that sink in.  

One thing that amazes me is that Davis hasn’t tried to completely restructure his swing and stance.  Like he doesn’t realize this one isn’t working and hasn’t for a long time.  Lower the elbow and hands, open up, change the stride.  Do something. Do anything.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Howard was able to keep his OPS north of 700 most years, though (he slipped to 690 in 2014 but that was the nadir).  Davis will be lucky to break 600 OPS this year.  Again, let that sink in.

Chris Davis probably isn't even a AAA player at this point.  There are currently 26 catchers in the MLB with a better OPS than Chris Davis.  Twenty-six.  That means nearly every MLB team has a catcher -- the most defense-heavy position other than pitcher -- who is a better hitter than Chris Davis, who let's remember is a first baseman...1B players are supposed to be offense-first.  Several NL teams probably have a pitcher on their roster who is a better hitter than CD currently is.  His on-field performance this year is an absolute disgrace to himself, the city of Baltimore, and especially the team owner who insisted on signing him.  I'm sorry but I simply cannot ignore a $161 million salary.  I get that his agent negotiated it, they signed a contract fair and square, blah blah blah.  But I really hope he gives a decent chunk to charity if he can't earn his keep on the field.  The US government wishes it could waste money like the Orioles have on the Chris Davis contract.  

40 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

A restructuring/buyout certainly makes some sense. But let's get real for a second. Davis isn't screwing around. He seems to be working as hard as he can, and doing what the team and its coaches have asked him to do. He apparently is  performing to the best of his ability.   

Who is going to approach Boras, and ask that Chris and he agree to negotiate something that they don't have to consider, and apparently no MLB player or agent ever has ever agreed to in any remotely similar circumstances? And with whom would Boras negotiate? Peter Angelos?  One of his sons, or Brady Anderson, so that Boras can agree to a deal and then have it shot down by Peter? 

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see anyway of this possibility going forward during his season.

I think it’s unlikely too, but you can’t play Davis 140+ games if he continues at this clip.  

Buck isn’t likely to bench him either.  Davis is batting clean up!  Machado will get 100 intentional walks if this continues.

49 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Yeah I'm sure Boras is highly amused at the notion of voluntarily accepting less money than Davis is GUARANTEED for what reason exactly? To be a nice guy? Yeah that isn't happening. There is no reason Davis won't be getting every penny of his contract, like every other player in MLB.

Archived