Has there ever been a player at Davis level

brooksfrankjim

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, brooksfrankjim said:

That has fallen so far, so fast at his age?  I have followed the Orioles for 50+ years and I can think of another player whose performance has dropped like his.  Can you identify similar players?

Some people have mentioned Richie Sexson.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/sexsori01.shtml

What makes the Davis situation is unique is the contract.   There are plenty of guys who dropped off the cliff for just one really bad year and no one wanted them as a free agent, so they just disappeared.   So no one ever saw the worst of their dropoff.  Davis is still in the first half of a long term contract so he's going to keep going out there and doing what he's doing for the forseeable future.

Howard was bad, but not in Davis's class.  Howard never even managed to K 200 times in a year and had only 1 year below .700 OPS.  (total amateur compared to Davis).  I have serious doubts that Davis will ever OPS .700 again.  

I hope Davis recovers somewhat, because I can't see the O's releasing him unless he sucks for 2 years straight.  I'm talking batting .180 or less with an sub .600 OPS.

19 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Howard was bad, but not in Davis's class.  Howard never even managed to K 200 times in a year and had only 1 year below .700 OPS.  (total amateur compared to Davis).  I have serious doubts that Davis will ever OPS .700 again.  

I hope Davis recovers somewhat, because I can't see the O's releasing him unless he sucks for 2 years straight.  I'm talking batting .180 or less with an sub .600 OPS.

Chris Davis says, "hold my beer." He could very well bat .100 to .150 this year.

I know it's not his fault he got the contract he got, but I have to think the man must feel embarrassed by it. I hope they can reach some kind of agreement, perhaps involving donating to charity.

1 hour ago, brooksfrankjim said:

That has fallen so far, so fast at his age?  I have followed the Orioles for 50+ years and I can think of another player whose performance has dropped like his.  Can you identify similar players?

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Some people have mentioned Richie Sexson.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/sexsori01.shtml

What makes the Davis situation is unique is the contract.   There are plenty of guys who dropped off the cliff for just one really bad year and no one wanted them as a free agent, so they just disappeared.   So no one ever saw the worst of their dropoff.  Davis is still in the first half of a long term contract so he's going to keep going out there and doing what he's doing for the forseeable future.

Yes, here is some info I posted earlier this season in regards to Sexson and Davis.

--

I think he's done. His collapse closely resembles Richie Sexson's downfall; both at similar ages.

Sexson - never played again after 2008

2006 31 SEA AL 158 663 591 75 156 40 0 34 107 1 1 64 154 .264 .338 .504 .842 117 298 17 4 0 4 5 *3/D  
2007 32 SEA AL 121 491 434 58 89 21 0 21 63 1 0 51 100 .205 .295 .399 .694 84 173 12 5 0 1 1 *3/D  
2008 33 TOT AL 96 327 280 29 62 9 0 12 36 1 0 43 86 .221 .321 .382 .703 89 107 9 0 0 4 0 3/D

Davis

2016 30 BAL AL 157 665 566 99 125 21 0 38 84 1 0 88 219 .221 .332 .459 .792 110 260 6 8 0 3 3 *3/9D  
2017 31 BAL AL 128 524 456 65 98 15 1 26 61 1 1 61 195 .215 .309 .423 .732 95 193 7 3 0 4 4 *3/5D

18 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

I know it's not his fault he got the contract he got, but I have to think the man must feel embarrassed by it. I hope they can reach some kind of agreement, perhaps involving donating to charity.

You don’t think it would be more embarrassing to be the guy who was so bad he had to give part of his contract to charity

2 hours ago, brooksfrankjim said:

Honestly you gotta wonder if the dude was not juicing some how?

Archived