Connolly: Heads may roll today

wildcard

45 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Great post.   As much as I love what Buck has done for this franchise, I think it's just time to clean house and start fresh.  I don't think Brady is the answer, either.    I'd rather pull a younger guy from a successful organization like the Cubs, Dodgers, Cardinals, etc.    We need a complete change of direction.

I agree with this 100%. Hit the reset button, go young, and start fresh. We need to change the mentality of this organization and that's not going to happen unless they clean house. What scares me is the Orioles' version of "going young" is probably giving Brady more power. They all need to go. Brady included. Hire a young GM and let him build his staff and team. No carry overs. 

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

It is impossible to know who is responsible for what....that is so dysfunctional! But it is hard to blame Buck for playing Davis. I mean, what are you going to do with a guy who has so much salary left? You have to hope he rebounds. Though you could hit him ninth and not behind Manny!

Why is the manager worried about a guy’s salary?

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I already stated my changes:

Schoop will return tomorrow to improve the team defense and  as soon as he gets him timing down to help the offense.   Veilma will likely be optioned,

The O's may DFA Tillman and promote Melville to the 5th spot in the rotation.

The O's may claim Luis Santo off waivers and DFA Mike Wright.  

And Saturday, Santander is probably  being optioned and Joey Rickard is called up. 

Firing Buck or Dan at this point does little to help the team.  Dan, McDowell and Coolbaugh all may be gone in the offseason but in season moves of those guys don't seen likely to me.

Ok, while I don't disagree with any of those changes, I fail to see how any of them make this team significantly better.  

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ok, while I don't disagree with any of those changes, I fail to see how any of them make this team significantly better.  

Nothing will make this team significantly better this season, but incremental changes would help for now. Once trading season heats up, the Orioles can make more significant changes.

27 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’re not attracting people like those organizations did. Buck as a coach, with some input, is the very best we can get. 

Everyone says fire Buck. Who the heck are we going to get?  We gotta stick with him. Reign him in a little with personnel decsisions. 

We get someone young. The luster isn't completely gone from this organization. And for the record, keeping someone because we don't think we can get anyone better sounds like a really bad reason not to firing someone. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don’t think anyone is claiming changes will make the team better this season.

Getting better this season is obviously not the only reason to make changes.

43 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I don’t get all the Buck bashing.

It’s convenient to blame Buck for Trumbo and Davis. But Duquette traded for Trumbo. Duquette screwed up majorly for not signing Cruz. I think he felt cornered on having to sign a Trumbo. That’s not a Buck decision, that’s a Duquette decision. The question is how much did Buck push for Trumbo?

As for Davis...will we ever know the full story here? Some say Buck. Some say Angelos. But who worked out that deal? 

Problem is, it should have been neither. It should have been Dan, and then we'd know. That's the problem with wishy-washy reporting structures. They provide everyone with plausible deniability... and when trust starts breaking down, even a little bit, accountability goes out the window, and knives come out. 

26 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

"Change for change's sake"? Are you kidding me? We are winning less than 24% of our games. Buck isn't owed anything. 

Sadly, that’s the truth.    Buck’s track record of success earned him a long leash, but 8-26 following last year’s 4-19 finish used up that leash incredibly quickly.    I’m not exactly saying Buck deserves to be fired, I’m just saying it’s certainly a defensible move at this point.   

53 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not sure what firing Buck does right now, other than the appease the OH horde who is extremely thirsty for blood these days. 

You're probably going to get a 2nd rate manager in here that's just going to be replaced in the offseason after a proper manager search has been done.  But I get it, you guys need to see heads roll to make yourselves feel better.  

You would get John Russell, and MLB won't allow that to happen for pace of play considerations.

11 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Nothing will make this team significantly better this season, but incremental changes would help for now. Once trading season heats up, the Orioles can make more significant changes.

So not many changes?

And please don’t refer back to former executive Andy MacPhail’s major rebuild. The Orioles aren’t resigned to taking that many steps backward. They aren’t putting everyone on the table.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/05/orioles-need-to-regroup---and-a-whole-lot-more.html

None of us know WTF is going on.  This organization is a complete joke.

Who's running the show now?  John and Brady?  Is that the plan going forward?  By which, I mean, assuming there are no plans to sell and Brady is set to replace Dan, then let's start there.  No reason to leave Dan around then, especially when he's at the top of the list for the current failures.  Yes, Dan did a lot right and he's sure as hell not the sole reason for 8-26.  But, if he's going to be gone anyway, then get him out now.  I'd make the same decisions about Buck, who I don't blame for this and still think is a good manager.  I won't feel bad if Buck goes but we need a good replacement.  I'm also fine if they give Buck a 3 year extension... but do something about this lame duck nonsense, which never should have been left to linger.

Blaming McDowell, who has a good rotation outside of Tillman's carcass, and Coolbaugh, for the absolute junk offense the FO assembled, is ridiculous.  Their fates should go to the manager; if Buck stays and wants those coaches, they should stay.  If Buck goes and the new manager wants new coaches then so be it.

As for the players, I've been very clear for a long time about cleaning house.  Do it now and at least get $.20 on the dollar we could have gotten before.  Do not, under any circumstances, extend Jones either.  It's time to move on.

Assuming none are traded, I'd build around a 2019 team based on a rotation of Bundy, Gausman, Cobb, Cashner, Harvey.  Throw in some prospects, trade return pieces, a few FAs, and go.

58 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not sure what firing Buck does right now, other than the appease the OH horde who is extremely thirsty for blood these days. 

You're probably going to get a 2nd rate manager in here that's just going to be replaced in the offseason after a proper manager search has been done.  But I get it, you guys need to see heads roll to make yourselves feel better.  

I agree people are losing their minds when most knew this wasn’t going to be a good team, but promoting Russell would make for a seamless transition. Cheap option after this year, too, right up ownership’s alley.

3 minutes ago, Ripken said:

None of us know WTF is going on.  This organization is a complete joke.

Who's running the show now?  John and Brady?  Is that the plan going forward?  By which, I mean, assuming there are no plans to sell and Brady is set to replace Dan, then let's start there.  No reason to leave Dan around then, especially when he's at the top of the list for the current failures.  Yes, Dan did a lot right and he's sure as hell not the sole reason for 8-26.  But, if he's going to be gone anyway, then get him out now.  I'd make the same decisions about Buck, who I don't blame for this and still think is a good manager.  I won't feel bad if Buck goes but we need a good replacement.  I'm also fine if they give Buck a 3 year extension... but do something about this lame duck nonsense, which never should have been left to linger.

Blaming McDowell, who has a good rotation outside of Tillman's carcass, and Coolbaugh, for the absolute junk offense the FO assembled, is ridiculous.  Their fates should go to the manager; if Buck stays and wants those coaches, they should stay.  If Buck goes and the new manager wants new coaches then so be it.

As for the players, I've been very clear for a long time about cleaning house.  Do it now and at least get $.20 on the dollar we could have gotten before.  Do not, under any circumstances, extend Jones either.  It's time to move on.

Assuming none are traded, I'd build around a 2019 team based on a rotation of Bundy, Gausman, Cobb, Cashner, Harvey.  Throw in some prospects, trade return pieces, a few FAs, and go.

And sign Manny, right? Right? ?

57 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Connolly's article is garbage, even though we come to the same conclusion:

There's no substance here.  He's just reminding everyone about what they already know, how long Buck and Dan have been here, what they've done and haven't done, etc, etc.  

But it does what I think happens in a lot of media today, which gets people reading headlines and starting conversations like this...like, HEY THEY COULD FIRE SOMEONE TODAY...but there's no insight here other than...it's an off day and the Orioles are garbage.  Yes, it makes sense to do it today...but is there any inside source?  

He even starts it off with a great hook:  The next 36 hours in Birdland should be fascinating.

Really, Dan-o?  Your article doesn't tell me why they SHOULD be fascinating.  It tells me why it COULD be fascinating.  

But all of this plays into what I think the media likes to do which is...talking things into existence.  Danny boy here writes a column about heads falling and then it gets picked up on morning sports talk radio.  The bloggers get into it and start speculating.  It gets picked up on message boards like the OH and others.  Soon, people are talking about something that's not based in reality at all.  

I'd be (pleasantly) shocked if anything happened today.  

Yeah, I agree. Dan's article is clickbait.

42 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

It is impossible to know who is responsible for what....that is so dysfunctional! But it is hard to blame Buck for playing Davis. I mean, what are you going to do with a guy who has so much salary left? You have to hope he rebounds. Though you could hit him ninth and not behind Manny!

I agree. But let's not forget that the roster Duquette put together right now has Gentry, Valencia, Alvarez, Joseph, Sisco, Santander and Peterson all getting regular playing time. And I'm not convinced many (any?) of them are better options than batting Davis where he is.

Archived