The positives to a losing season

Diehard_O's_Fan

Even though it is very disappointing that the Orioles are having a rough season, there are several positives to having a rough season. 

Here are some positives:

High draft pick

Manny will be traded and maybe a few other players as well.

We will finally find out what is going to happen with Buck and Dan.

We will learn what Brady's role will be going forward.

Young players like Harvey will get to play.

Coaching shake up. I am looking forward to this. New blood is needed.

20 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

Even though it is very disappointing that the Orioles are having a rough season, there are several positives to having a rough season. 

Here are some positives:

High draft pick

Manny will be traded and maybe a few other players as well.

We will finally find out what is going to happen with Buck and Dan.

We will learn what Brady's role will be going forward.

Young players like Harvey will get to play.

Coaching shake up. I am looking forward to this. New blood is needed.

I fear that we are back to the Hobgood days of having to pick a guy that is signable.

If we try to pick a top 5 guy who happens to be out of high school, and he has parents that love him, they will probably have him head to college for a year (to avoid the Orioles).

25 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I know we had a losing season last year. We are actually going to see some real changes this year. That was one of the points that I was trying to make.

I hope your right about some real changes, it's definitely needed.

Unfortunately until it happens though, I have no faith that this organization will make those changes, or make the RIGHT changes.

33 minutes ago, beantownrefugee said:

Biggest positive:  no ambiguity about what the team direction needs to be w.r.t. the trade deadline.

Not saying I'm happy about the losing. Quite the contrary. 

This. I would much rather by 21-14 or something of that sort, but if we're going to be a losing team, might as well take away any uncertainty about what should be done. Come the deadline, Manny, Schoop, Jones, Britton, Brach, and anyone else not under team control for the next 3+ years should all be shopped (noting that Brach won't yield anything unless he starts pitching better).

It’s hard to accept shopping Manny (or Schoop) as a positive: losing a great young player because of greener pastures.  The first inarguably great player the team has developed in years (excepting perhaps Schilling and maybe TBD Arieta who we gave upon).  It sucks actually.

54 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I fear that we are back to the Hobgood days of having to pick a guy that is signable.

If we try to pick a top 5 guy who happens to be out of high school, and he has parents that love him, they will probably have him head to college for a year (to avoid the Orioles).

The CBA is different now. If they draft a below slot guy early, it's so they can add some above slot guys later on.

9 minutes ago, JazzyJake said:

It’s hard to accept shopping Manny (or Schoop) as a positive: losing a great young player because of greener pastures.  The first inarguably great player the team has developed in years (excepting perhaps Schilling and maybe TBD Arieta who we gave upon).  It sucks actually.

It absolutely sucks. Just not as much as losing them for pennies. Get some value and turn this ship around faster than the 15 years it took last time.

50 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

There will be real changes made this year. I look for Tony's upcoming article to confirm this. 

I think you have a misunderstanding. I believe his article will shine a light on what he can share regarding one the most dysfunctional franchises in sports. I do not believe his article will provide a notice of change but merely an observation of what SHOULD change. 

Tony if I’m wrong I apologize. 

Archived