TT: Orioles Games of Thrones and the Way Forward

Tony-OH

4 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Thanks Tony

What I get from this is that Brady/Buck are the driving force behind what I call the lifetime achievement contracts, which I define as extension to good guys, good players, ignoring red flags such as recent performance declines or their age at the time of extension.

I'd love to hear your opinion on who was the architect of the Hardy extension as I consider this the first major step back to a losing team

For DD sake I hope that he was against:

1. Hardy extension 2. O'day extension 3. Davis extension 4. Trumbo extension

We'll know that Brady/Buck are in complete control and completely incompetent when they extend Jones

As I stated before, due to the timing, I believe Hardy was a unanimous decision to bring back which would of course include Duquette. I don't have any exact information on Hardy's signing though.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I have no idea how any “planning” can go on with how this place operates. How can anyone’s vision be implemented? The only hope is that enough good decisions are clustered together to have a window to win. 

Maybe that explains why the Orioles are in a situation with Machado, Jones, Britton, Buck and Duquette all up for new contracts but none have been approached. Maybe it explains why they signed two free agents pitchers, one of which is the largest pitching contract ever given out, yet started the year with four non roster and 3 Rule 5 guys make the club out of spring training. Nothing ever seems to jive with the other.

2 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

I don't buy that argument, honestly. I think it's more likely that in the 2014-2015 offseason, Duquette spent most of his time entertaining the Blue Jays scenario, punted the offseason...and then scrambled in late January/February to try and shore up the holes of the club. After all, the club was offering multi-year deals to both Cruz and Markakis.

You basically just don't believe anything in my article, do you? Your hatred for Duquette clouds your judgement. Did Duquette make Angelos negotiate with the Blue Jays for almost two months for his release? Do you honestly think while this was going on Duquette was free to make moves? You aren't analyzing the situation well because you picked a side. I went in with no sides and told it how I believe things went down due to sources and other information.

We get it, you don't believe my pieces and you think Duquette is the devil and all things wrong with the organization is because of him. 

Point taken.

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Maybe that explains why the Orioles are in a situation with Machado, Jones, Britton, Buck and Duquette all up for new contracts but none have been approached. Maybe it explains why they signed two free agents pitchers, one of which is the largest pitching contract ever given out, yet started the year with four non roster and 3 Rule 5 guys make the club out of spring training. Nothing ever seems to jive with the other.

I feel like if the organization were a person it would be a paranoid schizophrenic.

2 hours ago, FanSince88 said:

Name a single player Brady advocated for or move he was involved in that has worked out.  They've all been miserable failures.  Reimold. Frickin Mike Wright.  The ABOMINABLE CHRIS DAVIS CONTRACT.  Re-signing Mark Trumbo.  Must I go on?

Sure, Cobb might work out.  And Cashner has been an ok piece.  But everything leading up to those moves that Brady has done according to this article has been an utter disaster!  

Here's something people should ask themselves, if Brady, Duquette and Buck were all let go, who would be in the running for the same role with another organization?

25 minutes ago, Bonecrusher52 said:

It's seems like Buck's utmost loyalty to his favorite players ("Buck's guys") is hurting us as a team.

Buck was big on Colby Rasmus and tried to recruit him a few years ago.  You can thank Buck for that signing too instead of having someone like Jon Jay playing the outfield and being able to lead off. 

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Here's something people should ask themselves, if Brady, Duquette and Buck were all let go, who would be in the running for the same role with another organization?

Duquette GM and nothing more. I honestly don't know why the Blue Jays wanted to give him more of a title. They're probably seeing the warts now.

Buck definitely a manager. I don't think anything more.

Brady is a toughie. He's not established. I doubt he'd get a GM title from anybody but the O's.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Buck was big on Colby Rasmus and tried to recruit him a few years ago.  You can thank Buck for that signing too instead of having someone like Jon Jay playing the outfield and being able to lead off. 

Rasmus would have been a great signing a few years ago, TBH.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Buck might get hired to manage another team if he was younger, but he is getting up in age now.  Brady no way .  Duquette probably not, too socially awkward.  

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This to me is a mental exercise-- that if we're fair about-- can lend some perspective to our situation.  My guess is Brady could get a conditioning or maybe bench coach type position.  We know DD (because of the Blue Jays) could land a GM type position.  Though to be fair, maybe the performance over the last 2+ years would dim those odds.  And Buck... I dunno.  I could see him not getting a position for manager or GM.  He's older than what the game seems to demand nowadays.  He's also, a known commodity, so maybe he would have a job ready and waiting as a manager.  I don't see GM.

Edit: The more I think about Brady.. I think other teams would see how he's operated here and not want the potential drama of him overreaching if the chance presented itself.

2 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

I suppose that's a 3rd option: Fire both Duquette and Brady and start anew. But that's not practically going to happen.

I would agree with that too.  And I agree with you that DD is not blameless.  But I think DD seems to have a better track record than Brady.

26 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

In an intelligent organization, they would try to target a young assistant GM from a team that has successfully rebuilt recently, like the Astros, the Cubs, or the Braves.  It's like in college football, if you're a struggling Power 5 program, you look for a guy who is a successful coach at Boise State or Houston, one of those guys who build their program from nothing.  Call the assistant GM of the Indians, Braves, or Cubs.  If they turn you down, call the assistant to the assistant at one of those teams.  

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Parker Bridwell has been bad at every level so far this year.

That's because he's been battling elbow inflammation all season so far. He's close to returning to a mound, though.

43 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Buck by the AS break, Duquette right after the WS.  Brady?  Immediately after Hell's next snowstorm.

Archived