TT: Orioles Games of Thrones and the Way Forward

Tony-OH

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

I will read the rest when I get home from work. Interesting article.  This is mostly  'HUMINT"  not  "SIGINT" correct? ?

Haha, no SIGINT was involved! I'd like to stay out of jail thank you. 

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Sessh said:

There was no mention of Hardy, so I guess everyone wanted him back.

I honestly didn't have any information on resigning Hardy. I'd guess though the timing would suggest Duquette was part of that decision in some way.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Well I posted it so I don't mind people reading it. Haha

I honestly already know how the party line will come back. I'm not concerned. I also don't care who doesn't like it, or bashes it, or says it says nothing they didn't already know. The piece wasn't for them. This was for you fans who follow this team religiously and deserve to know why things are like they are.

This wasn't meant to vilify anyone or defend anyone, but rather to inform based off the information I had at hand. I have no ax to grind with anyone nor do I have any relationship with Brady, Duquette or Buck so I have no reason to paint them in any other way then what I have in the article.

I think you did a very good job of telling the story and sticking to the facts. I would much prefer to read a well-written article, and form my own conclusions, then try to make some sense of the constant vitriol of modern day sports talk radio. 

18 minutes ago, Flacco Machado said:

Be prepared.

Roch, will tell you he doesn't need anyone telling him what's going on in the organization. He'll say DD is the GM and not Brady. How much he's around the team and knows how things are really run. On and on. The company line.

He got super defensive and combative, when I told him about the article on Sunday.

I could care less about Roch. Heaven forbid he blocks me and I miss out on his earth shattering tweets about the number of times he's heard Journey songs while covering the team in spring training. 

Roch isn't really a reporter anyway. He's a PR man for the team disguised as a reporter. 

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I honestly didn't have any information on resigning Hardy. I'd guess though the timing would suggest Duquette was part of that decision in some way.

Thanks. I imagine Buck was as well since Hardy was a Buck guy all the way. Great article and thanks for writing it. :)

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Great take. Empower them and then hold them accountable in my mind are the two most important pieces that have been missing for sometime. 

As for blowback, I'm not concerned. One, the worse they can do is pull my credentials, but why would they? I didn't lie or make things up.

They don't advertise with me anymore so it's not like they can pull their money. That happened after the MacPahil piece. lol

Honestly, I've always gotten the response from Greg Bader that he appreciates me being fair. I call it as I see it and do my best to back up things with multiple source before running out and writing stuff. 

Either way, I just wanted to get things out so people can know what I know because this is such a crucial time for the Orioles organization with Peter reportedly no longer running day to day operations of the club.

I don't think there is a villain in this story at all. Just various people doing what they think is best. Each have done some good things and things that have contributed to this current mess.

But like you said, if there is one thing I hope John and Lou read is that final piece about having one guy take control of Baseball Operations and let him hire his guys. Empower those guys with specific roles and responsibilities and then hold them accountable.

If that happens then I'll have hope for this organization.

Saying all that, one of my sources told me that although maybe not as bad, many organizations have difficult to follow chains of command. Who knows? I don't follow the other organization as closely obviously.

As much as I dump on Brady it starts at the top. I think the villain is the man who created, allowed, and contributed to this seemingly dysfunctional management mess. Just my two cents. 

7 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I could care less about Roch. Heaven forbid he blocks me and I miss out on his earth shattering tweets about the number of times he's heard Journey songs while covering the team in spring training. 

Roch isn't really a reporter anyway. He's a PR man for the team disguised as a reporter. 

He's definitely a reporter, but he's not a columnist.  At best, he plays it down the middle and gives facts.  Sometimes, he may just leave out some details that a person who doesn't work for the team may put it in.  And he always writes less than he actually knows.  He does however, report the news.

But he's not Ken Rosenthal .  He can't just write a story however he wants to write it.

He sure as hell couldn't print quotes from Duquette stating that Dave Wallace Dom Chiitti were pissing on Brady...

4 minutes ago, Flacco Machado said:

Tony,

This may be part of your next article concerning Brady. But, I'm curious if you've heard anything about his philosophies, as far as analytics, the international market, etc.?

Thanks.

I literally have zero information on any Brady philosophy. Someone gave me his e-mail one time, I e-mailed him, never got a response. That's my relationship with Brady. Haha.

No worries though, he's not the only guy that hasn't responded to me over the 22 years of doing this! I'm just a dude running a website. ;)

Thank you for this article, Tony! Very interesting. I’ve read various pieces recently regarding the FO and Angelos. One conclusion I can draw is that, after 25 years since Angelos bought the team, nothing has changed in terms of how the organization is run. What a shame, too. 

6 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Not that Roch can't take care of himself on his website, but remember, he's got to make a living and he's got a good gig right now. With newspapers in decline and websites having a hard time paying people because advertising rates are way down, having a gig where you are paid to blog is not a bad deal. Why would he do something to hurt himself in this area?

I've know Roch for a long time and he's always been cordial. He stopped following me on twitter awhile back for whatever reason, but I don't feel I have an adversarial relationship. He used to ask me for information about minor leagues years back and I would get info from him about things with the club.

I think he's a good guy overall and I think he does a good job of getting information out about the club. If you are looking for someone to write what I just did about the Orioles, that's not his job. If I were in his place I wouldn't either.

The good thing about being the owner is no one can fire me and if the Hangout went away tomorrow my lifestyle would not change other than the fact that I would get a whole lot of time back. Haha

24 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

The wild card here seems to be John Angelos. What is he thinking? Is he "the man" at the top who could dump the whole apple cart?

I didn't write it, but if I had to guess who the most important person in all of this is, it would be John Angelos. Unless of course Peter is still pulling strings behind the scenes.

He's the one that most likely will have the ability to make changes in organizational philosophies and how its run. 

That's why it's going to be really interesting to see how it shakes out. 

Archived