Hess to start game 1

bpilktree67

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

My guess is Melville did not come up partly because of money.  Vielma could have been recalled and put on the 60 day DL but that would cost the  team 400K.  Something they probably does want to do when were 10-27.

All about the 40 man roster. Plus Hess has more chance of being a piece and has pitched better.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I just want to see what he looks like on the mound and the kind of pitches he throws, his demeanor, etc.    I’m not going to judge him on one start in any event.    Buck said Hess skipped his work day, so hopefully that helps.  And, there’s the adrenaline factor.  I assume they wouldn’t bring him up if they didn’t think he could compete.    

I want to look too. Just wondering because I've been following less and less... who will we have in the pen for long relief? DH and all.

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m excited to get a look at Hess.   

But most are just 4a fodder? You say a lot and say nothing at the same time:) Lawyers...

Hess may not be ready but I think his mental toughness & preparation  will make him a major leaguer.

Big fan. Let’s see what he’s got. It is a tough spot though.

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

All about the 40 man roster. Plus Hess has more chance of being a piece and has pitched better.

I would have liked to see Hess get some more AAA starts before he comes up.  He has made 6 AAA starts.   Melville has made 44 AAA starts, 5 of which were this year.

Just now, wildcard said:

I would have liked to see Hess get some more AAA starts before he comes up.  He has made 6 AAA starts.   Melville has made 44 AAA starts, 5 of which were this year.

That’s because Melville is a AAAA pitcher, not a prospect.

5 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

That’s because Melville is a AAAA pitcher, not a prospect.

Melville just pitched well  for 8 innings on 4 days rest.  Hess will be asked to do that in his first major league start on 3 days rest.  Which in abnormal for him.   It just not the best of circumstances.

They call Bleier a AAAA pitcher.  Now they call him a major leaguer.

Mike Wright could start tomorrow. We are 11-27 I'd rather just punt a game then have Hess make his debut on three days rest when he has 6 AAA starts.  Regardless, the fact that it appears they gave zero thought as to the possibility they would need to pull up a starter for Saturday basically sums it up.

16 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Melville just pitched well  for 8 innings on 4 days rest.  Hess will be asked to do that in his first major league start on 3 days rest.  Which in abnormal for him.   It just not the best of circumstances.

They call Bleier a AAAA pitcher.  Now they call him a major leaguer.

Bleier is the exception not the rule.

But again, the main reason it was Hess and not Melville is Melville would require a 40 man move and I guess they aren’t ready to DFA Tillman. As to the wisdom of that, I’m not going to beat that dead horse.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

But again, the main reason it was Hess and not Melville is Melville would require a 40 man move and I guess they aren’t ready to DFA Tillman. As to the wisdom of that, I’m not going to beat that dead horse.

The other option would of been to 60 day Vielma.

Hess is only here as the "26th man," plus they can make a move between games for another arm. I would like for them to 60 day Vielma and get a relief pitcher on the 40 (Edgin comes to mind.)

Not sure what this does with their rotation after though.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I just want to see what he looks like on the mound and the kind of pitches he throws, his demeanor, etc.    I’m not going to judge him on one start in any event.    Buck said Hess skipped his work day, so hopefully that helps.  And, there’s the adrenaline factor.  I assume they wouldn’t bring him up if they didn’t think he could compete.    

I wish I had seen him in Durham this week (that stellar start). I was only able to go see the Tide on Monday and Thursday. I wonder if the fact that Hess was done pitching on Tuesday around noon may bode a little better on his rest that had he pitched that night? It was a 10:30am game.

5 hours ago, NashLumber said:

I wish I had seen him in Durham this week (that stellar start). I was only able to go see the Tide on Monday and Thursday. I wonder if the fact that Hess was done pitching on Tuesday around noon may bode a little better on his rest that had he pitched that night? It was a 10:30am game.

Buck was asked that in the presser and said no its 3 days.  Its how many time he get to sleep between starts.

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Buck was asked that in the presser and said no its 3 days.  Its how many time he get to sleep between starts.

I wonder if he slept last night?  If he didn't, is it two days?  Nice opportunity for the young man from Tennessee Tech!

7 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Well - if you're not, I will!  :deadhorse:  Get well Tilly!

Archived