Minor League Ball Community Mock Draft

21 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I've got a big list of later round guys, I'll have a preference list out to my top 50 up by tomorrow morning. Then I'll do a article on later round guys I like a day or two before the draft.

Datres seems like a 4th-6th round college performer without the power to profile as a regular, but a fairly good chance to hit some and play multiple defensive positions. Cadyn Greiner from Oregon State is a similar player.

Sabino is interesting, thanks for mentioning him, I'd missed him (he's not in the Baseball Cube database for some reason), not much video on him out there that I could find and he's older than your typical college draftee, but I like the idea of snagging those types of toolsy guys who might be a mechanical change away from breaking out.

Some college middle infielders that I like later on in a rough order of preference...

Nick Dunn (Maryland) - 2B, could be 55 hit/50 power which would play really well at 2B

Tyler Frank (Florida Atlantic) - also likely a 2B, similar profile to Dunn, but I think Dunn is a touch better both hit and power even though most outlets have Frank as the superior draft prospect.

Richie Palacios - best chance to stick at SS of these guys, plus runner, some feel for the barrel, may be a better fit at 2b though.

Terrin Vavra - polished hitter, not heavy on tools, also likely 2B at the next level, some room in the frame to grow into more wood bat power.

Jared Mang - legit pop in the bat, not sure if he can stick at 2B

Vinny Capra and John Valente - SR underslot targets, both guys with good feel to hit, Capra has some pop (not sure if it'll carry over with wood), Valente just doesn't swing and miss. Not sure about defense.

Only Dunn and Frank are top 10 round talents for me, with Dunn a 2nd/3rd guy and Frank a 4th/5th. Capra and Valente obviously not top 10 round on talent, but could be popped there to save cash.

The issue with college middle infielders is that it's really hard to find true SS, most are 3B/2B at the next level. Definitely not the depth of this draft.

Thanks; good stuff.  I've been watching a lot of the ACC tournament and the FSU catcher Raleigh has been absolutely mashing.  He's a big heavy dude, but he's looked ok defensively.  Do you think he sticks at C?  Where do you see him going?

39 minutes ago, Otter said:

Thanks; good stuff.  I've been watching a lot of the ACC tournament and the FSU catcher Raleigh has been absolutely mashing.  He's a big heavy dude, but he's looked ok defensively.  Do you think he sticks at C?  Where do you see him going?

I think he sticks, he’s not as athletic as I’d like to see but he can really hit, he’s never an easy out even though the bat speed is just average. He’s got the demeanor/intangibles you want in a catcher.

I snuck him into the last spot in my top 50, but realistically he gets popped later in the 2nd or the 3rd.

I’d love to see one of Nick Dunn, Raleigh, or Nick Sandlin drop to where the Orioles pick in the third round. All three would be excellent value there IMO.

Only a couple days away from this mock draft.  Any inkling which players will be available when you pick 11th?  Seems the first 5-6 players taken are pretty consistent (not the same teams, but somewhere in the top 5-6 picks).

Also, any chance you see the O's drafting someone who can be signed a little cheaper in the 1st round in order to go overslot with pick #37?  That's probably too cute for a team that only has 1 extra pick.  KC & TB have 3 and 2, and can play games a little better there.  I still say best player available, but which player will that be?

27 minutes ago, Oriol3s said:

Only a couple days away from this mock draft.  Any inkling which players will be available when you pick 11th?  Seems the first 5-6 players taken are pretty consistent (not the same teams, but somewhere in the top 5-6 picks).

Also, any chance you see the O's drafting someone who can be signed a little cheaper in the 1st round in order to go overslot with pick #37?  That's probably too cute for a team that only has 1 extra pick.  KC & TB have 3 and 2, and can play games a little better there.  I still say best player available, but which player will that be?

Yeah, that’s a little cute for me. I’m probably down to Kelenic or Gilbert unless someone unexpected drops. If it’s Gilbert I’ll feel like I can get a little more aggressive with #37 since you’d likely save some money on him at 11. 

One scenario that would interest me a bit would be going Griffin Conine underslot at 11, and then trying to buy whatever HS RHP falls to 37, that’s risky though especially with the multi pick teams ahead of the O’s.

18 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Yeah, that’s a little cute for me. I’m probably down to Kelenic or Gilbert unless someone unexpected drops. If it’s Gilbert I’ll feel like I can get a little more aggressive with #37 since you’d likely save some money on him at 11. 

One scenario that would interest me a bit would be going Griffin Conine underslot at 11, and then trying to buy whatever HS RHP falls to 37, that’s risky though especially with the multi pick teams ahead of the O’s.

Would you put Winn above either of those two?  I like both those guys, but if Winn were to be available, I might take him over them.  Liberatore above Winn.

Conine seems too risky to play that game at 11 since they wouldn't know who will be there at 37.  But if they could get Conine at 37, I'd say go for it.

8 minutes ago, Oriol3s said:

Would you put Winn above either of those two?  I like both those guys, but if Winn were to be available, I might take him over them.  Liberatore above Winn.

Conine seems too risky to play that game at 11 since they wouldn't know who will be there at 37.  But if they could get Conine at 37, I'd say go for it.

Yeah, the Conine play would be really risky and pretty unnecessary given the options that should be available at 11.

As I put in my Preference List, I have it in this order.

4. Kelenic

5. Gilbert

6. Stewart

7. Liberatore

8. Winn

They are all in the same tier for me and I'd be happy to grab any at 11. Gilbert looks really good because that would allow me to go HS at 37 with less money concerns. I'd really like to get an up the middle HS bat at 37, it seems like there will be good value there, although if Hoerner or Conine fall, it'd make me think twice.

Results

1.11 Logan Gilbert - Stewart and Winn were also available/considered. I went with the college/Cape performer who I think has significant upside as well as being the college arm with the fewest red flags. (#5 on my preference list)

1.37 Nico Hoerner - Jeremiah Jackson and Griffin Conine were available and considered. I got a couple really bad looks at Conine in his first 6 NCAA regional ABs, that left a bad taste in my mouth so I went with Hoerner. The athletic prep SS Jackson was tempting. (#20 on my preference list)

3.87 Nick Dunn - Very surprised he got here, he's really underrated IMO. I also considered Nick Sandlin, Colton Eastman and Cal Raleigh in this spot. (would have been #51 on my preference list)

4.115 Steven Hajjar - So this might be an unfamiliar name, but he was my top HS arm that wasn't in my top 50. One of the youngest players in the class, he's a 6' 6" LHP who already repeats his mechanics well and touches 93. He's projectable and has the feel for two offspeed pitches already. Cold-weather arm with few miles on it.

7 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Results

1.11 Logan Gilbert - Stewart and Winn were also available/considered. I went with the college/Cape performer who I think has significant upside as well as being the college arm with the fewest red flags. (#5 on my preference list)

1.37 Nico Hoerner - Jeremiah Jackson and Griffin Conine were available and considered. I got a couple really bad looks at Conine in his first 6 NCAA regional ABs, that left a bad taste in my mouth so I went with Hoerner. The athletic prep SS Jackson was tempting. (#20 on my preference list)

3.87 Nick Dunn - Very surprised he got here, he's really underrated IMO. I also considered Nick Sandlin, Colton Eastman and Cal Raleigh in this spot. (would have been #51 on my preference list)

4.115 Steven Hajjar - So this might be an unfamiliar name, but he was my top HS arm that wasn't in my top 50. One of the youngest players in the class, he's a 6' 6" LHP who already repeats his mechanics well and touches 93. He's projectable and has the feel for two offspeed pitches already. Cold-weather arm with few miles on it.

Will be interesting to see where these guys land this week.  

On 6/1/2018 at 5:24 PM, Oriol3s said:

I am no expert on this, so take whatever I say with a grain o salt.  I hope they avoid the temptation to go after young Niner at 11 or 37.  Those type of 2nd generation O's are cute, but they typically don't work out.  I'd have a tough time passing on Kelenic - even if the O's already have a bunch of OF prospects.  BPA all the way.      

If Liberatore or Winn aren't available at 1-11 I'd love to see the O's take Kelenic or perhaps Parker Meadows (Austin Meadows younger brother). Maybe they could save some money taking Kelenic or Meadows to make a run at the best athlete and potentially top talent in the draft at #37 in Kyler Murray. Murray will be a tough sign and overslot but I think that's exactly what the Orioles need to do here. Hopefully our draft team has talked to his people to see what it would take to sign him. Yes, he will be the Oklahoma Sooners starting QB this season, but his future definitely is in baseball.

Archived