Per Heyman, Cards, D'Backs, Cubs, and Indians All Possible Suitors for Machado

wildbillhiccup

2 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Matt Riley is a no-miss prospect. Even the most inept org couldn’t screw him up:)

eye roll emoji

18 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

Riley/Toussaint?

Austin Riley? As in the Braves 3rd baseman of the future? I don't see them letting him go when Jose Bautista is your back up plan. They're really weak at SS too so I imagine they'd be more included to play him there. 

Honestly I"m kinda "meh" on all the Braves pitching prospects. I like the guys in the Cardinals system (Weaver, Reyes, and Flaherty) quite a bit more. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Lt Melmo said:

I'm sorry but this is sounding exactly like a carbon copy of the way we used to talk in the 00s. Every fanbase overrates its own players but O's fans can really make an art of it. "Roberts/Mora/Tejada is a solid core... DCab's gonna take that next step any day now... Brandon Erbe had a good start in Frederick last month..."

Schoop and Mancini are good, young players but they're not the guys you build a team around. Sisco and Hays and Harvey are promising but every team has prospects like them and then some. The good teams are also capable of developing major league pitchers and spending more than pocket change on international signings. 

At this point it isn't a question of the firesale/tanking strategy that's been all the rage. That's not just a clever strategy; the only way this team is going to compete with the Yankees/Red Sox/eventually Jays juggernauts before 2025 is by getting the farm system where the Cubs/Astros had theirs 5 years ago, where the Braves had theirs last year and where the WS have it now. 

Sorry for derailing a rumors thread, I haven't vented about this sorry team in a long time.

We need to invest in the best 10 year olds out there. 

2 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Rumor is a descendant of Syd Thrift was seen outside t-ball practice in Arbutus in a van with no windows offering free candy.

You know what? The Orioles should invest in youth equipment. All marked orioles. Shirts and skin style though, Black predominant. Orange trim. Orioles background black trim. White with Orange and black. Hats, Gloves. Baseballs. All with birds on them. To every youth league in the land. My grandfather coached a Savings and Loan team. And I wanted to be a SL (Saint Louis) fan until I understood.  Here. Internationally. Cuba. Just take that slot money and spend it that way. Everybody is an Oriole growing up. 

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Weren't all these teams linked to Machado in the off-season?  I just don't see ownership actually pulling the trigger. I just don't see any team making a big enough overpay.

I don't expect a big overpay... but there are changes in the environment since the offseason

1. The Orioles no longer have any delusion they are competing for a playoff spot, which was the only reason to keep Manny. One more Hail Mary shot at a deep playoff run has blown up early. 
  2. The NL is wide, wide open. Expected juggernauts in the Nats, Dodgers, and Cubs haven't run away with their divisions and are 3rd or worse in their divisions at the quarter pole. These teams that thought they were stacked, head and shoulders above their competition are going to feel they need a boost. 

I don't know how much this will change what teams are willing to give up to get Manny, but the Dodgers and Cubs are in considerably weaker positions in the standings right now than I think anyone expected at this point. 

4 minutes ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

I don't expect a big overpay... but there are changes in the environment since the offseason

1. The Orioles no longer have any delusion they are competing for a playoff spot, which was the only reason to keep Manny. One more Hail Mary shot at a deep playoff run has blown up early. 
  2. The NL is wide, wide open. Expected juggernauts in the Nats, Dodgers, and Cubs haven't run away with their divisions and are 3rd or worse in their divisions at the quarter pole. These teams that thought they were stacked, head and shoulders above their competition are going to feel they need a boost. 

I don't know how much this will change what teams are willing to give up to get Manny, but the Dodgers and Cubs are in considerably weaker positions in the standings right now than I think anyone expected at this point. 

Any deal has to go through the owner.

On 5/17/2018 at 10:19 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Four guys for Manny?  You are at least planning on taking on the Kipnis contact right?

I absolutely would.  2019 and then a $2.5 mil buyout.  Bandaid at infield until then.  Or heck, if he gets hot he can be flipped.

It's about stocking dat young talent.

On 5/18/2018 at 11:45 AM, Deadwood Fan said:
Camden Depot @CamdenDepot
FollowFollow @CamdenDepot
More

Another tidbit, Orioles scouts have been seen making the rounds in A ball at places they usually are not seen as often. And they are looking at the teams you would think would be interested in Machado.

What do you guys think Orioles scouts look like?

raoulduke.jpg

24 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Totally agree. Manny is not going anywhere. We're not getting top prospects like Buhler, Flaherty,  Riley etc.  I think it's a foolish exercise to waste our time speculating on trades. I'm of the mindset you make the qualifying offers for Manny, Britton and Jones and collect the draft picks. If someone gets crazy at deadline, all bets off but I just don't see it happening.

Why would Britton and Jones turn down 18M?

Archived