Buck, Dan and ownership need to deal with the Davis issue first

Pat Kelly

10 minutes ago, MagicBird said:

Chris Davis had great power and carried this team many times.  He was one of the main pieces that made this team competitive.   They had to resign him.  How could u let him go and do the same for another team?  NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY posting here or anybody else knew this was coming.   So many here act as if they had some ability to ascertain the future in regard to Crush.  Yea it was a risk but so is every contract in MLB.   Hindsight says it was a huge mistake.   Looking at it now is totally different than when they signed him.

All the "heads need to roll" posts are ridiculous even if its just frustration and venting.  Everything in life doesnt work out and this is a prime example.  

Nobody knew it was going to be this bad, this fast. However, plenty of people thought it was a terrible idea, that wasn't a rare opinion here or in the baseball community in general.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, weams said:

The only way that Chris Davis does not get every cent owed him by the Orioles is if he tests positive for a banned substance. Again.  And I am certain he won't let that happen. 

Agree...And maybe that's his problem?

Just now, Luke-OH said:

Nobody knew it was going to be this bad, this fast. However, plenty of people thought it was a terrible idea, that wasn't a rare opinion here or in the baseball community in general.

Just because some internet posters on a forum thought it was a bad idea doesnt mean it was as bad of an idea as those posters proclaimed.   This place is a perfect picture of negativity.  If the Orioles FO did what posters here wanted we wouldnt have any MLB quality players on the roster and would have a AAA roster preparing for the future.  Which, BTW, is no guarantee of better things.

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

I agree with this.  And whoever is responsible for this decision should be canned. Buck? Brady? Peter? We shall never know who was truly the advocate. But there is no real reason to move him now (as if that were possible) or even send him down.  This season is toast and there are likely going to be trades coming soon which will change the nature of the clubhouse altogether. He can at least play first base. You have to wonder too if there were steroids involved somewhere that have now gone out of the picture. So much changed after he was required to switch his ADHD treatment after the playoff suspension- after this he just has become a completely different performer.  

Davis hit .262/.361/.562/.923 with a league-leading 47 homers, 31 doubles, 117 RBIs and 100 Runs scored following his return from suspension. It's untrue he switched medication and instantly stunk, even if it feels good to believe it.

3 minutes ago, weams said:

Yeah - I don't see them cutting Davis anytime soon. The money is guaranteed. The O's aren't contending this year. There's really no point in cutting him this year. You hope he can maybe figure it out. Or, as bad as it is to say, gets injured and insurance money covers some of the contract.

15 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Davis hit .262/.361/.562/.923 with a league-leading 47 homers, 31 doubles, 117 RBIs and 100 Runs scored following his return from suspension. It's untrue he switched medication and instantly stunk, even if it feels good to believe it.

RIGHT

15 minutes ago, MagicBird said:

Just because some internet posters on a forum thought it was a bad idea doesnt mean it was as bad of an idea as those posters proclaimed.   This place is a perfect picture of negativity.  If the Orioles FO did what posters here wanted we wouldnt have any MLB quality players on the roster and would have a AAA roster preparing for the future.  Which, BTW, is no guarantee of better things.

I didn't say it was a bad idea because people here said it was a bad idea. Like I said in my previous response and you skipped over, many baseball analysts did not like the deal. The overall reaction to the deal was at best, mixed.

https://www.camdenchat.com/2016/1/17/10782716/orioles-news-chris-davis-contract-reactions - An overview of multiple reactions, most at least lukewarm if not negative

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-worst-transactions-of-the-2016-offseason/ - A list of the worst transactions of that offseason according to Dave Cameron (he was recently hired by the Padres after being blown away by an offer to give you an idea of teams' valuation of his analysis).

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/01/reactions-to-and-effects-of-the-chris-davis-deal.html

11 minutes ago, MagicBird said:

No, it isn't. If you told any baseball fan outside the Baltimore area that, they'd spit out their drink. 

Even I, without a doubt one of the most negative posters here, have grossly overestimated the Orioles competency two years in a row now. We're all wearing different shades of orange glasses.

I will agree however that a lot of hindsight is being thrown around on the Davis deal. This forum was overwhelmingly in favor of the deal when it was signed and there are polls to prove it. Too many people are not remembering that now. There were only a few us who cautioned it could get bad quickly. Granted no one saw it going this bad, this quickly.

Archived