Buck, Dan and ownership need to deal with the Davis issue first

Pat Kelly

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is what someone had to say in March 2015 about Chris Davis...I admit that I was mad when I said it because it was when Davis was said to have been wanting to "see a commitment to winning" before he would consider re-signing with the Orioles...but still, this deal has been a disaster since the day it was signed.   And everybody knew it, maybe not the complete and total Hindenburg disaster it has become, but knew that it was not going to be good at best.  

I just hope he has an AL MVP year here before he signs an overpriced contract with another organization that then won't be winning due to his overpriced, underproducing deal."  March 2015. 

22 minutes ago, paulcoates said:

After this year, I think he is owed 4 years / $134 MM ($23MM a year for until 2022 and $42 MM in deferred money)

Actually he is only paid $17 million per year for the next 4 years.  The other 6 million per year are deferred until after his contract is finished.  His total amount left after this year would be 4 years x 17 mill ($68 mill)  + $42 mill deferred for $110 mill total.  

I have to admit I was one of the people that thought he would bounce back slightly this year.  He looks lost at the plate with no bat speed.  I'm afraid this isn't a slump, its who Davis is now.  Batting Davis 5th makes no sense.  He's a rally killer whenever the top of the lineup gets something going.  If Buck wants to play him 8th would be fine.  

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Ownership needs to come to the realization that they are going to have to eat the remaining years of the contract.

Especially if it was Peter's insistence responsible for the deal. Accountability, Karma, whatever you call it. A harsh life lesson for an otherwise successful man. You play big, you win a few big ones... and you lose in like measure... especially if you're in over your head. Tobacco windfall for Davis boondoggle, call it a day.*

In the end, instead of killing the franchise, he can save it.

*"Eventually he settled for $150 million paid over five years." (For the state's tobacco case... after "he reneged on the deal" he had made for a lower fee - LOL) - wikipedia - PA net worth $2.1 b

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Actually he is only paid $17 million per year for the next 4 years.  The other 6 million per year are deferred until after his contract is finished.  His total amount left after this year would be 4 years x 17 mill ($68 mill)  + $42 mill deferred for $110 mill total.  

I have to admit I was one of the people that thought he would bounce back slightly this year.  He looks lost at the plate with no bat speed.  I'm afraid this isn't a slump, its who Davis is now.  Batting Davis 5th makes no sense.  He's a rally killer whenever the top of the lineup gets something going.  If Buck wants to play him 8th would be fine.  

Ok...here is my Chris Davis trade:

We need to separate the two parts of his contract...17mil x 5 = 85 mil and the 42 mil of deferred money.

Davis and their choice of Tillman or Rasmus plus 10 mil to the Cards for Dexter Fowler and Greg Holland. The O's would cover all the deferred money. The money looks like this (all salaries are for 2018 on).

O'S: Davis (85-10=75) + Tillman? (3mil) = 78 mil to the Cards.

Cards: Fowler(66mil) and Holland (14 mil) = 80 mil to the O's

1 minute ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

Ok...here is my Chris Davis trade:

We need to separate the two parts of his contract...17mil x 5 = 85 mil and the 42 mil of deferred money.

Davis and their choice of Tillman or Rasmus plus 10 mil to the Cards for Dexter Fowler and Greg Holland. The O's would cover all the deferred money. The money looks like this (all salaries are for 2018 on).

O'S: Davis (85-10=75) + Tillman? (3mil) = 78 mil to the Cards.

Cards: Fowler(66mil) and Holland (14 mil) = 80 mil to the O's

Why'd the Cardinals want Davis and Tillman?  Rasmus was off the scrap heap, he's got no trade value.  If the money is roughly the same, then the Cardinals are just trading one problem for another.  And I'd bet on Fowler rebounding before Davis.  Davis was useless last year, even more so this year.  Fowler was decent last year.  

You can't put Davis anywhere other than 1st base, most likely.  Cardinals have Jose Martinez there who is pretty good, IIRC.  

3 hours ago, paulcoates said:

Terrible contract for terrible contract trade?

This is what I am suggesting...Bad contract(s) for bad contract(s).

Fowler is hitting.150.....Davis is hitting .170.

Holland is 0-2 and era of 6.17.

Tillman and or Rasmus (3 mil ea) are to help = out salary.

Cards save 12 mil this year that they can use to p/u a player(s).

Cards move their players around. Davis could be used in a double switch and play some 3b and or corner of if needed.

Jose Martinez would move to rf in place of Fowler.

4 hours ago, Pat Kelly said:

...the reality is CD should be benched, DLd or sent to Tibet to find himself. 

Cool idea, do they have a league in Tibet? Maybe that's where Roy's "hitting guru" is waiting. Oh wait, that's "international." Okay, how about Delmarva?

12 minutes ago, Natty said:

The record lowest batting avg for a qualifier is .179, Rob Deer in 1991.

Davis is batting .166. And he stuck out 4x last night.

At this rate I doubt Davis would be penciled in enough to get 500 ABs. At least Deer had an OPS of .700 and hit 25 HR. 

At his current pace Davis would hit 15 homers and knock in 51 runs.

Let's look at this in a different way.

If Alvarez had the at bats that Davis has... He would be leading the majors in Home Runs based on his HR/AB ratio. 

But we don't play stats. We play who gets paid the most. Ain't that stupid?

Archived