Buck, Dan and ownership need to deal with the Davis issue first

Pat Kelly

I know this subject has been exhausted but I think Os leadership is underestimating now big the Davis issue is.     He is having a horrific season and is unlikely to improve.  Some big issues to think about.

1) Running him out there every day batting 5th or 6th will not fix him at this point and is making him and the team even worse.  If he is in the lineup he should bat 8th. 

2) impact on teammates.  I think he effects other players - they do not expect him to do anything, they know he is the highest paid player on the team and the three best Machado, Schoop and Jones are all leaving because the team cannot pay any one of them in part because of the Davis money.   How is he a good influence or even a helpful teammate at this point?  It is sad and disheartening watching him - easily the worst thing about this team.

3) impact on roster, lineup and defense.  Playing him at first against LHP makes zero sense.  At this point Rickard and Gentry are no worse against LHP and make the OF defense better allowing Mancini to play 1B.   But the reality is CD should be benched, DLd or sent to Tibet to find himself.  Mancini at 1B would allow room for a LHB for LF - DJ Stewart who has speed and gets on base and for now can platoon with Gentry or Rickard.    Eventually Mullins should replace Gentry.  

4) $.   This problem has come up for many teams and has gotten fixed - Redsox,  Marlins,  Prince Fielder and Mat Kemp.  Need to get creative and deal with this can’t afford the dollars and player to handcuff the franchise.  

It stinks to have to trade Machado but he has delivered tremendous surplus value and can be flipped into some new valuable assets - he is doing everything he can to help deliver that.   Davis is actually the bigger issue to solve and Buck et al need to stop saying that he will right himself.   The sooner we move on we can start rebuilding  and fixing things. 

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris Davis is done.  Terrible swing with a poor approach.  Always questionable to me when a player is a homerun hitter, signs a big contract and then falls off a cliff.  Very suspicious to me.  To your point though we are stuck with him.  My guess is he remains a semi regular this year but eventually finds himself lower in the lineup,  This off season we will be told how hard he is working to revamp his game.  By next June he will be the same player he is now and then they finally just release him.  

From most of the insiders Davis would not be signed to this terrible contract if the owner didn't step in.  Just another example of of Angelos getting involved where he shouldn't be.  Baseball people should make baseball decisions.

As I've said dozens of times before, I am not sure how they can get rid of him.  

No one will trade for him.  And if they did, we'd still have to have a large part of his salary on our books for a long time.

Prince Fielder, Matt Kemp, those guys still had a little bit of value.  

We can get rid of Davis somehow but he'll still be on our books somehow, some way for the rest of the contract.

Let Davis play out the season, but don't play him every day.  Ownership needs to come to the realization that they are going to have to eat the remaining years of the contract.

Davis isn't going to be a part of the future under any rebuild.  It's getting awkward now, there is a white elephant in the room that everyone in the organization is pretending doesn't exist. 

1 minute ago, paulcoates said:

Terrible contract for terrible contract trade?

I'm not the most knowledgeable with this stuff but off the top of my head I can't think of one contract in baseball that is close to being as bad as the Davis deal looks like now.  I would take my chances with any reclamation project if there is one to trade Davis for. 

3 minutes ago, turtlebowl said:

I'm not the most knowledgeable with this stuff but off the top of my head I can't think of one contract in baseball that is close to being as bad as the Davis deal looks like now.  I would take my chances with any reclamation project if there is one to trade Davis for. 

I agree.  There's no one performing worse for this amount of money.  

2 minutes ago, turtlebowl said:

The only contract that was in the neighborhood was Pablo Sandoval, but the Red Sox having an endless supply of cash cut him last year. 

2 minutes ago, paulcoates said:

After this year, I think he is owed 4 years / $134 MM ($23MM a year for until 2022 and $42 MM in deferred money)

^ This.  His OPS is barely above .500 and we owe him money through 2037.  Yeah, he's not going anywhere. lol

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The only contract that was in the neighborhood was Pablo Sandoval, but the Red Sox having an endless supply of cash cut him last year. 

This is bad to say but of Pablo was still with Boston and they asked to trade him for Davis, I would of jumped at that deal.  And this is for a guy that was cut, lol.

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

You never want to wish a player to fail a drug test, but no one would lose any sleep on CD getting suspended for a positive drug test.  

Someone can spike his Gatorade.  Maybe Tejada can come back and give him a B12 shot.

Just now, turtlebowl said:

This is bad to say but of Pablo was still with Boston and they asked to trade him for Davis, I would of jumped at that deal.  And this is for a guy that was cut, lol.

Oh no, this is a trade I would have instantly agreed to.  Sandoval is off the books after 2020.   

Archived