Hess needs a roster spot: Is it Mike Wright that goes?

wildcard

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I recognize this as re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, but I don't understand how Wright is still on this team.

I know, I know...Brady.  But c'mon.  

I subscribe to the they don't want him to leave and "get fixed" somewhere else theory.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I recognize this as re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, but I don't understand how Wright is still on this team.

I know, I know...Brady.  But c'mon.  

I guess you don't want to throw a deck chair, no matter how busted-up and non-functional it is, overboard when you have the option of putting another, better deck chair in storage for a while.

6 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I guess you don't want to throw a deck chair, no matter how busted-up and non-functional it is, overboard when you have the option of putting another, better deck chair in storage for a while.

Well I mean, if we're continuing the analogy here...I think we've passed the point where it snapped in half.  I think it's well submerged and there's people grasping for life rafts.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not disagreeing with you.

I gave up on Wright last season.

Me too, he's terrible.  I'd rather see if we have someone else who can be productive.  

In all seriousness, why would another team claim Wright if he were DFA?   The guy is 28 years old, has a career 6.23 ERA, has never had a season better than 5.76, and is at 8.72 this season.    If DFA, he will go unclaimed and be outrighted to Norfolk or wherever.    That should be the move.    

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

In all seriousness, why would another team claim Wright if he were DFA?   The guy is 28 years old, has a career 6.23 ERA, has never had a season better than 5.76, and is at 8.72 this season.    If DFA, he will go unclaimed and be outrighted to Norfolk or wherever.    That should be the move.    

Because they have someone in the origination that can convince someone in a position of power that they can "fix" him.  Of course that team would in all probability claim him and then try and slip him through waivers themselves.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because they have someone in the origination that can convince someone in a position of power that they can "fix" him.  Of course that team would in all probability claim him and then try and slip him through waivers themselves.

Yup.has a good arm and maybe change of scenery and get a little worse Jake.Orioles are known throughout the league as a team where starting pitchers progress a little but never reach the next level.We shall see if Gausman or Bundy reach the next level.Or is this as good as it gets 

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mike Wright can look good for a few pitches, or even a few batters. Brady Anderson thought he could help Wright. I'm not so sure there isn't a guy in another organization who thinks the same thing. And given the Orioles' track record, I'm not positive that guy would be wrong.

3 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Mike Wright can look good for a few pitches, or even a few batters. Brady Anderson thought he could help Wright. I'm not so sure there isn't a guy in another organization who thinks the same thing. And given the Orioles' track record, I'm not positive that guy would be wrong.

I've never understood wtf Brady thinks he could do to help Wright given the fact that Brady never set foot on a major league mound.  

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I've never understood wtf Brady thinks he could do to help Wright given the fact that Brady never set foot on a major league mound.  

I can't explain that, but I can and will say that if I owned a team I would not appoint as my top baseball executive (or name to any important front-office position) a guy who has never done most of the things those executives do but thinks he can do them well.

I'd like to think that would be true no matter how much I liked the guy or how successfully he had sucked up to me or how much he had contributed to the organization in other capacities.

Archived