Oriole Draft Primer: #11, #37, and my top 50 draft prospects

Luke-OH

3 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I caught part of it as well and wasn't impressed, he's definitely worn down considerably as the season has progressed. That's concerning given the previous TJS, effort to the delivery, and less than ideal stature.

He had an 80 FB with a 60 SL earlier this year, the peak stuff will put him in the first, but I wouldn't touch him at 11.

I agree.  But I would be intrigued at 37.  The O's have actually done a good job at improving Tanner Scott's consistency and control; maybe they could do the same with McLanahan.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Otter said:

I agree.  But I would be intrigued at 37.  The O's have actually done a good job at improving Tanner Scott's consistency and control; maybe they could do the same with McLanahan.

I’m kind of bummed that I’ll be out at a dinner tomorrow night when the O’s make their pick.    On the other hand, it’s not like I can’t read all about the guy and see the videos and commentary later in the evening.    Watching drafts is actually pretty boring IMO, unless you really know a lot about the players and have really strong opinions, which I don’t.    Hopefully the O’s pick will pan out.

Best ever picks at no. 11: Max Scherzer (48.3 rWAR), Andrew McCutchen (40.1).    Note that George Springer (18.2) was chosen here in 2011 and may prove to be worthy of mention in the same breath as those two in 7-8 years.

At no. 37: Frank Viola (47.2), Troy Glaus (38.0), Adam Jones (32.0).

At no. 87: Doug Drabek (29.3)

At no. 115: Michael Bourn (22.8)

Just now, Frobby said:

I’m kind of bummed that I’ll be out at a dinner tomorrow night when the O’s make their pick.    On the other hand, it’s not like I can’t read all about the guy and see the videos and commentary later in the evening.    Watching drafts is actually pretty boring IMO, unless you really know a lot about the players and have really strong opinions, which I don’t.    Hopefully the O’s pick will pan out.

Best ever picks at no. 11: Max Scherzer (48.3 rWAR), Andrew McCutchen (40.1).    Note that George Springer (18.2) was chosen here in 2011 and may prove to be worthy of mention in the same breath as those two in 7-8 years.

At no. 37: Frank Viola (47.2), Troy Glaus (38.0), Adam Jones (32.0).

At no. 87: Doug Drabek (29.3)

At no. 115: Michael Bourn (22.8)

It's looking like it will be the high-point of the season.

7 minutes ago, Otter said:

Fangraphs is mocking him to the O's at 37 in their latest update. That would be quite a fall, I think he'd be fairly compelling at that spot but it's hard to imagine him getting that far.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Fangraphs is mocking him to the O's at 37 in their latest update. That would be quite a fall, I think he'd be fairly compelling at that spot but it's hard to imagine him getting that far.

I'd still take him at 11. And of course under slot pay. 

Man, I can't believe I'm the only one who would be thrilled with Grayson Rodriguez. In the incredibly unlikely event that someone like Liberatore,Madrigal or India slip out of the top 10, I think Grayson or Rocker would be my guy. There's just so much ceiling there.

Archived