10 to trade to jumpstart rebuild

ScGO's

Of the 11 on the original list, Manny, Schoop, Gausman, Brach, O'day, and Britton are gone, and its fair to say the trades helped jumpstart the rebuild.

So what assets do we still have to work with moving forward. I made a list compiling any and all assets we could possibly scrape some value out of in trades moving forward (no matter how minute).  I hope Dan keeps throwing some more of this kindling on the fire to keep this rebuild a-blazing.  Obviously all of these won't be thrown on the fire in the near future or at all, but I included them because I think there is a chance.

Biggest Chips - Players most likely to bring back impact players.

Dylan Bundy - Give him some rest moving forward.  Or shut him down for a few weeks to let the ankle heal.  Between now and the end of next offseason, he could bring back a haul if his performance is steady.

Michael Givens - Make him the closer, Trade between now and the end of next offseason.

Andrew Cashner - Hesitant to put him under "Biggest Chips," but if he has another season like the last couple, he could be someone to move in the offseason or trade deadline next year.  I was pushing to trade him now, but I don't think there is as big a market as there will be this offseason when teams are looking to plug that back end of the rotation for cheap.

August Trade/Clear Roster Moves - Clearing the budget, 40-man roster, and maybe a C prospect or two

Danny Valencia - I still think someone will want his bat to mash lefties in August.

Craig Gentry - Hopefully healthy soon, but contenders will pay (thought not a lot in this case) for speed and defense, especially in those late innings.

Mark Trumbo - For someone to take him now (and there could be demand), we'd have to eat the contract.  Hopefully he's traded by next season, if not, could be a DFA.

Pedro Alvarez - No, he's not on the team, but I say call him up and see if he can hit a little and see if someone wants him to PH in September, circa Matt Stairs type acquisition.  Still has MLB power.

Joey Rickard - Only because he might not make the 40 man next year.  Might be traded as a poor man's Craig Gentry at this point.  If not, maybe shop him before next season or could be DFA.

Caleb Joseph - Still has positive numbers on Defense.  Has a little control; might be a good back up somewhere?  If not traded by end of offseason, could be another DFA.

Adam Jones - Only if he changes his mind...

If All Goes Well - We would need to see better performance, consistency, or health from these players in order to find a trade partner.

Alex Cobb - If he can return to form any time between now and 2021, send him out. Basically needs to prove he's at least a #3.

Mike Wright - Yep. If he can step up in a back end role in the next season or two, send him on out before later arbitration.

Richard Bleier - Hopefully he has a full recovery.  If he can return to form, he has 4 years of control left.  I think he would have been traded this season if he hadn't gotten hurt.

Tim Beckham - I think he should start most games moving forward, but I still think his value would be increased if he learned how to play OF and became a super utility.  If he can OPS at a .750+ clip next season as a super utility, he could find himself traded by the deadline or the next offseason.

Donnie Hart - I decided to put him on the list bc he might stay on the team now, and if used correctly, he could become a solid LOOGY.  If he puts up good numbers vs lefties, could be a guy to dangle early even though he is controlled until 2022.

Trey Mancini- He would be a soft sell, especially if his performance returns to 2017's.  Still has a lot of bat speed.  Needs to be playing 1B (Chris Davis will not be on this list unfortunately). Could be someone softly shopped over the next 3 seasons depending on how quickly the rebuild is going and how well he performs.

Jonathan Villar - Even though we just got him, he's another one to look into shopping if his performance improves.  Plays some premium positions, has versatility, can run, and has performed at a high level before. Could bring back a decent return if he takes advantage of the playing time he'll get in Bmore

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived